What are the current issues with the 818

msebar

msebar

Enthusiast
Iam thinking of getting the 818. I went through the thread but was not able to get the current list of issues as of today. All I found was an issue with gapless play and some reliability issues with not so great support.

Would there be a problem hooking up an xbox with composite, wii a ps3 and a blueray O and lets not forget the cable box from xfinity. Would some need pass through?

Will they be coming out with anymore updates or is the 2 14 13 the last one?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe I'm ot of the loop, but what 818? I, for one, am not so familiar with all the brands that I know all their products by simply a model number.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Onkyo 818 has gotten the best reviews. I have not heard anything bad. It's got 2 built fans to keep the heat down. I'd give Onkyo Support a call about those questions. 1-800-229-1687

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
The only issue I am familiar with with Onkyo is the fact that they had issues with the HDMI board in previous versions, I do not know if that is the case with the 818. I also believe that there was an issue on 24 Blu-ray content on HDMI 1, but that was well before a firmware upgrade. If you ask me the 818 is a better deal than the newer 828 coming out.

The 818 has Audyssey XT32 for under $800.00 which is a pretty good deal, I am surprised the Audyssey got downgraded to so much on the newer 828

If you type Onkyo HDMI failure in Google, you will see what I am talking about.

Last edited:
F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Onkyo 818 has gotten the best reviews. I have not heard anything bad. It's got 2 built fans to keep the heat down. I'd give Onkyo Support a call about those questions. 1-800-229-1687
Fans in a receiver? Man, that is strange. The audiophiles would have a fit over that.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Fans in a receiver? Man, that is strange. The audiophiles would have a fit over that.
The 626 that I just got has a large fan on top. I have yet to plug it in and see if I can hear it, but I imagine that it spins at a fairly low RPM.

msebar

msebar

Enthusiast
The only issue I am familiar with with Onkyo is the fact that they had issues with the HDMI board in previous versions, I do not know if that is the case with the 818. I also believe that there was an issue on 24 Blu-ray content on HDMI 1, but that was well before a firmware upgrade. If you ask me the 818 is a better deal than the newer 828 coming out.

The 818 has Audyssey XT32 for under $800.00 which is a pretty good deal, I am surprised the Audyssey got downgraded to so much on the newer 828

If you type Onkyo HDMI failure in Google, you will see what I am talking about.
Seems like the 606 has all of the problems

msebar

msebar

Enthusiast
Ok just found another issue. The final resting place for the unit will be in a spot that is 17.5 x 8.5 hole, the depth is not a problem. The back will be open about 10 inches from the wall. I will be removing a draw to insert it in. I will also need to add a piece of wood for the shelf which is easy. I was also planning on cutting a round hole in the shelf. From the hole to the floor is 10 inches. The unit claims to be 17.1 x 17.1 x 7.8 inches. Will I have over heating issues?

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
You should be fine as long as you provide 3-4" of free-air clearance for the L/R sides and top cover...

Just my $0.02... ;)

msebar

msebar

Enthusiast
Can i get away with 1/'2 on the sides and 3/4 on the top? Does the unit have a controlled power outlet in the back or are they gone with the good old days. I was thinking of mounting a fan behind the unit to push air forward and out.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
No manufacturer releases a procduct with known "issues".

"Issues" are only discovered when the product is in the field for a period of time and cutomer complaints start to pile up.

Hopefully, te manufacturer takes steps to correct these "issues" in future releases of their product.

That being said, dollar for dollar, Onkyo has more features than competitive receivers. Onkyo has higher power ratings tan competitive receivers and, Onkyo also has more problem complaints here than other competitive receivers, mostly heat related.

Having read your last post, you may want to strongly reconsider the advice offered in this thread, particularly in post 10.

But, in all fairness, ALL receivers need a few inches on top and, hopefully, alongside them. Air comes in from the bottom and sides and the heat vents from the bottom up, out the top of the unit. Blowing air on the back won't do squat.

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
True, they do do a cost/benefit analysis and it the risk is acceptable they go through with it anyway but, let's face it, Onkyo has been pretty well vilified here and on other forums for their numerous failures.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
True, they do do a cost/benefit analysis and it the risk is acceptable they go through with it anyway but, let's face it, Onkyo has been pretty well vilified here and on other forums for their numerous failures.
But not the 818 I have not seen a Issue so far. I think those who had failure didn't give the Onkyo enough air space in their rack. I also read to keep the heat down to put the OHM to 4 instead of 6. It really helped when I had the Onkyo 707. I had no issues at all. I'm also very cautious and turn down the volume when I turned it off.:) Boy is it hot in NYC. 90 today phew.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
But not the 818 I have not seen a Issue so far. I think those who had failure didn't give the Onkyo enough air space in their rack. I also read to keep the heat down to put the OHM to 4 instead of 6. It really helped when I had the Onkyo 707. I had no issues at all. I'm also very cautious and turn down the volume when I turned it off.:)
Wise moves. All things to keep the heat from building up. Something OP should keep in mind.

Boy is it hot in NYC. 90 today phew.
Tell me about it. I'm maybe 20 miles from Colombus Circle and have garden work to do or else Mrs W won't be too happy. And, you know what they say: If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

Last edited:

3zones

Enthusiast
The 616 has the big fan too but the 515 didn't get it. I look at it like this...Onkyo has 40% of the market compared to the fractional shares of others. You are going to hear about a lot of issues, more on the cheaper 616, far fewer on the far more expensive 818. Too soon to tell on the 2013 lineup. Onkyo offers a lot of features for the money and they tend to have a couple notable deletions like Airplay and better Audyssey in their lower end versions but then include a whole bunch of other stuff like two hdmi outs, 8 hdmi's, a bunch of streaming services, etc. I've heard of good luck with recent buyers of Onkyos that have both the newest firm ware and/or correctly installed the firmware when upgrading via usb instead of via Ethernet. Onkyo discovered that their latest firmware updates didn't update correctly via Ethernet but they discovered that after a lot of complaints and accompanying HDMI, Handshake, and other symptoms. Their instructions now explain certain firmware updates are Ethernet updatable and certain ones need to be done via usb. If you can navigate through the hokeyness, the failure rate seems to have lessened.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis