What Are Dolby Atmos Enabled Speakers?

What Type of Speakers are You Adding for Dolby Atmos?

• Integrated Atmos Elevation Speakers (ie. Pioneers)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Atmos Elevation Module (ie. Def Tech, Atlantic Tech)

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Homemade (ie. re-use old boolshelf speakers)

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • None, I'm doing discrete ceiling mounted speakers

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • NONE at ALL. I'm waiting out the potential format war.

Votes: 22 64.7%

• Total voters
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Looking forward to Pioneer's Atmos demo tomorrow at Cedia. Room 703.
Trying to keep an open mind but skeptical.
Cheers, Mac
Please report back on your findings here if you can. Our guys will also be there demoing and if like to include this feedback in a video shoot with Hugo thus Friday. Thx.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Updates to our Atmos Elevation Speaker Article

Update 9/12/14:

Regarding Building your own Atmos Speakers:
Please note based on the directivity requirements of Dolby, you will likely achieve better results employing a coaxial two-way speaker (like what Atlantic Tech is doing) or a single concentric two-way driver (like what Pioneer is doing).

Regarding HRTF:

Recent feedback from our talks with Dolby at CEDIA suggests there is some element of the HRTF employed in Atmos Elevation speakers in the analog crossover. However, we don't suspect it matches the amplitude of the above graph especially since most of the Atmos Elevation speaker specs we've read indicate a frequency response of 150Hz to 18kHz +-3dB which can't be met with a swing of 12dB from the HRTF graph (+5dB at 7kHz and -7dB at 12kHz). We will know more as we get samples in our labs for testing.

Last edited by a moderator:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
This is Part 1 of our Dolby Atmos Elevation Speaker Explained Youtube Video.

I gives you the nuts and bolts of the speaker tech.

Part 2 is coming in a week or so and it will give details about the Dolby Atmos Crossover. Stay tuned...

mtbdudex

mtbdudex

Enthusiast
In 2012 I got the Denon 4520 and went from 7.1 to 11.2, both front wides and front heights.
After comparing the 3 "expanded" formats then, PLIIz vs DSX vs NeoX I truly liked NeoX best for how it expanded the soundstage width wise and height wise.
Front view:

Rear view:

Now, since I'm at 11.2 I've studied going to 9.2.8, but there are no AVR's to handle that, and dataset gear is $$.
I'll keep watching to see what gear arrives 2015 end or 2016 early, till then 11.2 NeoX honestly does a great job.
For the mid ceiling speakers I'm looking at wide dispersion co-axials.

J

jlanzy

Enthusiast
mtbdudex, whoa, and here I feared that adding an 18" sealed jtr sub to my 15" sealed velo may be overkill in my 19x14x8 room...., it's not of course, like you when I got the denon 4520, I went the 11.2 route with dts neo and really like the overall soundfield for tv and movies. I plan on adding 4 in ceiling speakers for atmos, and auro3d with 4 heights and VOG. I want to stay with denon but current planned implementations for both hamstring one or the other, limit use of back surrounds, pirate preout sub2 for VOG, and exclude any use of wides during atmos/auro. I suspect these limited implementations will disappear as next generation of avr/pp become available and dts uhd is rolled out. I think even without movies encoded in either auro/atmos that the upmixer for both( I think atmos avrs/pp may upmix non atmos like auro does) would really add another engaging sound experience over our 11.x currently, and even more so for atmos/auro encoded soundtracks. But I won't be buying speakers, drilling holes in my ceilings, etc until I see that a single avr/pp can do all these without reloading speaker configurations and adding speaker selector switches and crippling other speaker configurations. I will add as many external amps as necessary for it all to work and without limiting each other in the process.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis