What are Ascend's weaknesses?

WorldLeader

WorldLeader

Full Audioholic
I am looking all over the web, and what few reviews of the Ascend speakers are out there seem to be all basically perfect. I am confused because I expect that the ratings are heavily based on the price, but yet no one mentions weaknesses. What will these speakers (340ses) not do when compared to $2000+ speakers? What are the weaknesses?

Thanks!

J

jagercola

Audioholic Intern
Internet Direct - So you have to order some to hear them (this makes them more inexpensive though)
Not flashy - Not a whole lotta bling in the speakers, just great sound and I hope you like black
Bragging - Most people havent heard of them
More neutral and accurate, less bright - A pro or con depending on what you like

S

simpleHT

Audioholic Intern
WorldLeader said:
I am looking all over the web, and what few reviews of the Ascend speakers are out there seem to be all basically perfect. I am confused because I expect that the ratings are heavily based on the price, but yet no one mentions weaknesses. What will these speakers (340ses) not do when compared to $2000+ speakers? What are the weaknesses?

Thanks!
I haven't seen any post regarding Ascend's weekness as well. I do not own one, but if you ask me, I've got to say it's the vinyl finish :p

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
I have been looking at the Ascends for a long time and will probably end up getting a pair of the 340SE's. I have heard the classics, and thought they were outstanding.

When there is a negative acknowledged about them, it is most often the black vinyl finish, but in my research, no other speaker in the same price category uses as high of quality drivers. This is even more true with the release of the SE.

A speaker company has to design a speaker that sounds good to more people, that is how you maximize sales. Ascend seems to have right formula in that regard.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Good question World Leader, I have wondered the same thing. I will follow this thread with some interest.

Nick

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
One of the primary differences is the materials that go into making the cabinet. Obviously Ascend is more interested in providing the best sound quality bang for your buck. In order to do so they keep the finish of the cabinet very basic to keep the prices down. I guess if you want speakers to act as furniture it makes sense to pay more, but otherwise why bother.

Also I would expect a $2000+ speaker to have larger drivers, lower extension, play louder, and have higher power handling capability. Important primarily if you have a large room to fill and/or don't intend to use a subwoofer.

L

littleb

Junior Audioholic
They're downright ugly :) , and they don't make floorstanders. I haven't heard them, so that's the best I can do.;)

C

cyberbri

Banned
The matching stands for the 340s make them into tower speakers:

(340SE on matching stand, next to my VTF-3 Mk2).

(more pictures here)

Yes, their finish is their weakness.
Other than that, they have exteremely high quality drivers (SEAS tweeters), as you can see here. and extremely neutral and accurate sound. With 3 340SEs up front and 2 170SEs in the rear, along with a VTF-3 sub, they can play clean at much louder volumes than my 14.5x22.5 room can handle.

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
Bottom end extension but that is by choice/design philosophy. If you want a funiture grade wood finish they aren't for you. Ascend recently said on the Ascend forum that to offer a furniture grade finish on the 170SE would add $200 to the cost. That says a lot about what is on the inside vs. other speakers in this price range and explains why you won't find any other sub $1000 speaker with a SEAS tweeter.

WorldLeader

WorldLeader

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the responses, and let me clarify my original question. I know that the finish isn't great, I wouldn't expect that from speakers priced that low regardless of sound quality.

Rephrased question:
When will you notice the difference (when listening) if you are comparing a high-cost speaker with an Ascend speaker?

I know that sound is very subjective, but why should one spring for a $2000 speaker if these Ascends can do the same thing just as well?

Also, If you can find links to Ascend reviews I would be happy :)

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
I just got my 170s back from being upgrade to SEs. To me the SEs are more detailed, more open, smoother than the classic, and have better bass extension.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
WorldLeader said:
Thanks for the responses, and let me clarify my original question. I know that the finish isn't great, I wouldn't expect that from speakers priced that low regardless of sound quality.

Rephrased question:
When will you notice the difference (when listening) if you are comparing a high-cost speaker with an Ascend speaker?

I know that sound is very subjective, but why should one spring for a $2000 speaker if these Ascends can do the same thing just as well?

Also, If you can find links to Ascend reviews I would be happy :)
Depends on one's disposable income I guess. If found a $1500 pair of speakers for my living room that I really liked but they looked low rent, I would pay $200 to $300 more for a furniture grade finish. Probably more even. I will have to look at them every day for the next five to ten years. I try to have nice furniture in my living room, so I would like the speakers to compliment the rest of the room if at all possible. YMMV.

Nick

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
Nick250 said:
Depends on one's disposable income I guess. If found a $1500 pair of speakers for my living room that I really liked but they looked low rent, I would pay $200 to $300 more for a furniture grade finish. Probably more even. I will have to look at them every day for the next five to ten years. I try to have nice furniture in my living room, so I would like the speakers to compliment the rest of the room if at all possible. YMMV.

Nick
The Ascend 170SE is $350 a pair not $1500.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Tex-amp said:
The Ascend 170SE is $350 a pair not $1500.
I know that. I was responding in a general sort of way to this "Ascend recently said on the Ascend forum that to offer a furniture grade finish on the 170SE would add $200 to the cost." and to this: "What will these speakers (340ses) not do when compared to $2000+ speakers?"

Sorry if it was unclear.

Nick

L

littleb

Junior Audioholic
cyberbri said:
The matching stands for the 340s make them into tower speakers:

(340SE on matching stand, next to my VTF-3 Mk2).

(more pictures here)

Yes, their finish is their weakness.
Other than that, they have exteremely high quality drivers (SEAS tweeters), as you can see here. and extremely neutral and accurate sound. With 3 340SEs up front and 2 170SEs in the rear, along with a VTF-3 sub, they can play clean at much louder volumes than my 14.5x22.5 room can handle.

I've never heard Ascend's and I would like to someday. I don't have anything against them, except for their incredible homeliness. But, I would strongly argue that a bookshelf speaker on a stand does not=a floorstander. A bookshelf speaker on a stand is and always will be a bookshelf speaker on a stand. I have good bookshelf speakers on stands, they sound good, and look good, but I would never call them floorstanders.:eek: :eek:

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
WorldLeader said:

Rephrased question:
Question rephrased or not, I've already covered the basics of the difference you could expect to hear, but maybe you've just chosen to ignore my answer. In any case, the bottom line is you need to do the work by bringing in speakers in to your home for audition. The forums are good for quick and dirty answers but ultimately you'll need to do some in home listening to determine what speakers works best for you and your room. If your budget allows for something more expensive than the Ascends then maybe ask about speaker models of a particular price range. Unlike many things, you don't always get what you pay for with speakers, so its important to supress that notion. Rely more on the sound you experience and make price a secondary determinant.

B

BBrunner

Enthusiast
WorldLeader, The ascends are a true bargain. I heard the non SE's, however. You ask when will there be a difference between them and other more expensive speakers but then state that you know audio is subjective, so…

I feel there are quite a few speakers in the $2000 range that are better performers, but the price is almost quadrupled by then. For the price the Ascend 340SE’s have not been beat by anything I have heard under $900. I think the Monitor Audio RS6’s compete very well with the Ascends, but they are $1000. Also the Vandersteen 2C does compete very well (again this is my opinon). The Ascends are a few hundred cheaper than both these speakers so only you can decide if the price increase for the MA’s and Vandersteen’s would be worth the performance increase (or decrease as you may hear things differently than me).

M

marky

Junior Audioholic
I just got the Ascend cmt 340s across the front, so heres my take on them.
equipment used:
yamaha rxv 2400, cheap philips dvd player, polk audio psw404 sub.

Pros: neutral, efficent, detailed, clean and clear, punchy, wide sound field, sound rolls off smoothly

Cons: a little laid back (still getting use to from using klipsch), just a bit thin at low volumes (sounds great when the volume gets higher or the source being fed)

All the cons can be attributed to room acoustics and the equipment being used.

WorldLeader

WorldLeader

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the responses! I know that the question is pretty vague, but everyone has answered well and helped me out a bunch. If anything this is giving me a better understanding of Ascend, which is always helpful!

:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis