what amplifier or reciever?

S

speakerboy

Audiophyte
I have an office with 8 JBL speakers in ceiling (Control 24C/CT micro). There are volume controls in different rooms for each speaker. Some guy told me to get an 8 channel amplifier and something about 8ohms.

I don't really know the difference between an amplifier or a receiver. I will just be playing background music in the office from an iphone/ipod. I'm not sure what type of receiver I should be looking for to buy. I've found 8 channels ones for over $3,000 and some at $300. I'm worried about destroying the speakers.

thanks for your help,

speakerboy

S

speakerboy

Audiophyte
Thanks for the help. The link did help but how do I go about figuring out if my revievet is strong enough or not to strong to power the 8 speakers.

So. I found something called a speaker selector with 8 channels. I guess I can plug this in to receiver to play back music? It seems the only question is impedance or power needed. I don't know how to calculate that :(

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have an office with 8 JBL speakers in ceiling (Control 24C/CT micro). There are volume controls in different rooms for each speaker. Some guy told me to get an 8 channel amplifier and something about 8ohms.

I don't really know the difference between an amplifier or a receiver. I will just be playing background music in the office from an iphone/ipod. I'm not sure what type of receiver I should be looking for to buy. I've found 8 channels ones for over $3,000 and some at $300. I'm worried about destroying the speakers.

thanks for your help,

speakerboy
Do not use a receiver. Receivers make terrible distribution amps. Yes, you do need a distribution amp, but I can't tell you how many channels you need.

We need to know if this system is wired mono or stereo. Usually commercial buildings are wired mono. Also we need to know whether the controls are impedance matching or not.

You really need to be worried about destroying your new electronics and not the speakers.

There are so many variables in these systems, and it is pretty clear to me you probably won't be able to determine what you have. I strongly recommend at least one visit from a professional commercial installer.

We have frequent posts about these issues and often huge problems get created.

If you have no experience in this area you definitely need professional assistance.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis