Wharfedale Opus speakers

G

Geoh

Junior Audioholic
Hi,
I recently purchased a pair of the Wharfedale Opus 1 (or 50) speakers.
What turned me on to them at first was their look, in the Gloss Piano Black finish, with their beautiful curved and rounded cabinets, one of the finest looking speakers I've seen lately.
However, what has me hooked on them is their sound, specifically their midrange reproduction. They use a 3" soft dome type midrange driver that just sounds right to me. A midrange lacking heaviness and bloat typical of many other speakers I've listen to before deciding on the Opus.
I never associated Wharfedale as a speaker that I would seriously consider when my search began for a new speaker system for my "somewhat"
high-end 2-channel / home theater system.
I'm adding two pair of the Opus Tri-surround and their Tri-Center to complete the system.

Regards,

geoh

Attachments

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Geoh - beautiful speaker. I don't think we even have access to that line here in the states. I'm guessing they are around $1500 US though. I've never seen such a huge dome midrange. Keep the kids from poking at it. What are you driving them with? Are you in the UK?

G

Geoh

Junior Audioholic
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Geoh - beautiful speaker. I don't think we even have access to that line here in the states. I'm guessing they are around $1500 US though. I've never seen such a huge dome midrange. Keep the kids from poking at it. What are you driving them with? Are you in the UK?
Thanks Buckeyefan,
They are right around $2k retail (up to $3k for the Opus 3 or 70).
The Opus 2 (or 60) seems to be the most popular of the few Opus owners I've conversed with.
They can be had here in the states but you're usually looking at about a
2-3 week wait.
I'm driving them with the Denon 5805. Right now I have them single wired but have "biamped & even triamped" them with the flexible assignable amps of the 5805 and the Opus ability to be "triamped or triwired"... but single wired (for now) seems to work just fine.

Regards,

geoh

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
Cool man! Thank's for the picture too. I've never seen that before. Especially that 3" dome!

TjMV3

TjMV3

Full Audioholic
Congratulations Geoh! ;)

Nice!!! Real Nice!!!

I own the Wharfedale Opus 2 and I absolutely love them! ;) That 3 inch dome midrange sounds stunningly beautiful!

I live in the United States.

I have them in the Piano Black Gloss, also.

I just said the very same thing ......about to say now, the other day on another forum.

The Opus speakers are one of the most under-rated, not-talked about speaker series out there, in my opinion.

They sound so nice and mate well with a variety if quality components. Such as Ayre, Odyssey, MacIntosh, Cary, Marantz, Parasound and quite few others. They also love (and sound wonderful) with tube gear.

I don't think they match well with Denon CD Players, but maybe that was just my personal experience and had more to do with the other components in the chain.

I don't have any pics right now of mine, but if anyone is interested I can take a few pics some time this week and post them.

Last edited:
G

Geoh

Junior Audioholic
TjMV3 said:
Congratulations Geoh! ;)

Nice!!! Real Nice!!!

I own the Wharfedale Opus 2 and I absolutely love them! ;) That 3 inch dome midrange isounds stunlingly beautiful!

I live in the United States.

I have them in the Piano Black Gloss, also.

I just said the very same thing ......about to say now, the other day on another forum.

The Opus speakers are one of the most under-rated, not-talked about speaker series out there, in my opinion.

They sound so nice and mate well with a variety if quality components. Such as Ayre, Odyssey, MacIntosh, Cary, Marantz, Parasound and quite few others. They also love (and sound wonderful) with tube gear.

I don't think they match well with Denon CD Players, but maybe that was just my personal experience and had more to do with the other components in the chain.

I don't have any pics right now of mine, but if anyone is interested I can take a few pics some time this week and post them.
Hey Tony..... how's it going. We talked on the phone a few times about the Opus, etc.....
Yes the Opus + tubes = audio bliss :)
Certainly the Opus line IS one of the most under-rated speakers out there (IMHO).......
Anyway here's another picture with an Opus 1 as center. The rack system I just received from Adona.

Attachments

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Now that is a setup to drool over. Looks great and I bet it sounds even better.

TjMV3

TjMV3

Full Audioholic
Hello George....how are you?

I knew that was you :D :)

Wow, that's a fantastic system you have going there, George! Beautiful!

.......and I know it has to sound way better than it looks!

Did you get that Opus 1 (for center channel ) use from the same dealer as the rest of the Opus 1?

I didn't know dealers or manufactors would sell just one speaker. I should consider that for my system with the Opus 2.

Man, I'll bet that sounds absolutely beautiful!

G

Geoh

Junior Audioholic
TjMV3 said:
Hello George....how are you?

I knew that was you :D :)

Wow, that's a fantastic system you have going there, George! Beautiful!

.......and I know it has to sound way better than it looks!

Did you get that Opus 1 (for center channel ) use from the same dealer as the rest of the Opus 1?

I didn't know dealers or manufactors would sell just one speaker. I should consider that for my system with the Opus 2.

Man, I'll bet that sounds absolutely beautiful!
Actually I ended up buying another pair of the Opus 1 (also two pair of the Tri-Surrounds) all from Greg... btw, thanks for the hook up with Greg, he's a great guy and his prices are AOK!
I will probably end up moving the Opus 1 that I'm using as the center to the rear, along with the other Opus 1 (naturally), to be used as music surrounds.
But that may or may not happen.... the Opus 1 works wonders as the center speaker, great dialog and musical center.
Anyway I have a few more changes coming soon to my system,
(think Shanling) so I'll post a few more pics when that happens.

Regards,

Geoh

TjMV3

TjMV3

Full Audioholic
Good stuff George.

You're Welcome! My pleasure to help out.

How's the Opus Tri-surrounds? I wasn't too impressed with them. But maybe it was the system set up and placement.

Hmmmmm.....you really have me considering an Opus 2 for the Center Channel.

Wharfedale has a new finish for the Opus line, it's a sort of lite-stained cherry high gloss finish. The stain is lite and you can see the grain of the wood really well. Looks beautiful.

Unfortunately, looks like it will only be available in Europe :(

Last edited:
G

Geoh

Junior Audioholic
TjMV3 said:
Good stuff George.

You're Welcome! My pleasure to help out.

How's the Opus Tri-surrounds? I wasn't too impressed with them. But maybe it was the system set up and placement.

Hmmmmm.....you really have me considering an Opus 2 for the Center Channel.

Wharfedale has a new finish for the Opus line, it's a sort of lite-stained cherry high gloss finish. The stain is lite and you can see the grain of the wood really well. Looks beautiful.

Unfortunately, looks like it will only be available in Europe :(
Jury is still out on the Opus Tri-Surround...... but so far so good. I've only had them up for about a week. They hit pretty hard for a surround, give a good mixture of direct and diffused sound and have that beautiful Opus piano black finish.
They are on the large size for a wall mounted surround speaker, so you need a good size wall space to accommodate them.

Regards,

geoh

TjMV3

TjMV3

Full Audioholic
Feel free to share your opinions and experiences with the Opus Tri-surrounds, George.

I'm interested in hearing how it goes for you.

sixdouble532one

sixdouble532one

Audioholic Intern
I sell the Wharfedale (in MA) and will be carrying the cherry speakers....actually will be displaying them in our showroom too.

av-man

av-man

Audioholic
I sell the entire Wharfedale line. They have a fine sound with great looks. They really don't get the press they deserve.

Tempest

Tempest

Junior Audioholic
Turntable?

Beautiful speakers!! Just curious...what is that turntable on the top of your component cabinet?

As Rutger Hauer says is Blade Runner, "Gosh...you really got some nice toys" :D

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Privateer said:
What sub are you using in that picture?

Beautiful setup and I'm sure it sounds terrific. Please post what all the equipment is in your picture.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
All the audio stuff looks great, and the racks are sexy too!

D

dhoffack

Enthusiast
Opus Sound,

How are the highs on the opus 1? Does the opus have the same evo and diamond laid back sound with smooth, never bright hi's?

So if you could just respond a little on the opus sound.

Thanks,

Dan

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis