Wharfedale Jade Series (need some information, please).

A

addictaudio

Audioholic
Hello guys and possible gals:). I have researched on this site for information regarding Wharfedale speakers, but did not see any reviews or posts for that matter. What do you all think of the Jade Series; particularly the Jade 7 towers, C2 center channel, and SR1 surrounds? Are these comparable to say the Revel Performa3 F208, PSB Imagine T2, and KEF R900 series? with matching center and surrounds? They appear to be very well built with outstanding fit and finish and also with very nice materials for the speakers and tweeters. I found two reviews below with measurements. Can anyone please interpret these measurements for me?
http://www.hometheater.com/content/wharfedale-jade-7-speaker-system<o:p></o>
<o:p> </o>
http://www.stereophile.com/content/wharfedale-jade-7-loudspeaker<o:p></o>

Last edited by a moderator:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes they are comparable. It will be difficult to choose but I walked away from the F32 and went with the R900.

A

addictaudio

Audioholic
Thanks Peng. Any other information and/or interpretation of the measurements in the two above cited links would be much appreciated. I prefer airy and bright highs, and am hoping that these will fit the bill. The Jade 7 looks similar in design, size, and weight with the Revel F208. I am not sure if the quality of crossovers and such are comparable. They virtually weigh in the same as well at around 80 pounds. Both also use aluminum tweeter. The Jade 7 does have one additonal midrange driver, and their cone material appears really high tech. Wharfedale also uses a design that differs from conventional ported or sealed speakers.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks Peng. Any other information and/or interpretation of the measurements in the two above cited links would be much appreciated. I prefer airy and bright highs, and am hoping that these will fit the bill. The Jade 7 looks similar in design, size, and weight with the Revel F208. I am not sure if the quality of crossovers and such are comparable. They virtually weigh in the same as well at around 80 pounds. Both also use aluminum tweeter. The Jade 7 does have one additonal midrange driver, and their cone material appears really high tech. Wharfedale also uses a design that differs from conventional ported or sealed speakers.
You should then also audition some Focal speakers, I have not heard the Jade 7 but from the graph it wouldn't sound bright unless you can hear the range above 15 KHz all to way to beyond 20 kHz. I did find the F32 seem to have more "Air" but have no heard their replacement 2006/8 either. The R900 is more on the neutral/accurate side so you may find them boring. Base on the graphs only, the Jade 7 should be relatively neutral too and I have faith in Revel so I am only to just assume they should sound as good as their predecessor. I suggest you bring your favorite discs/USB etc. and start auditioning them at least in the dealers show room.

A

addictaudio

Audioholic
The issue is that there are very few dealers nearby, and most have little to no stock. I have been searching for so long, that this will most likely be a "no audition" purchase; which I know is not recommended, but I have exhausted my options at this point.

A

addictaudio

Audioholic
The only thing that is a little disappointing with the Jade surround speaker is that it is not a dual baffle dipole/bipole design, and is designed much like a front firing bookshelf.

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
Since you can't listen you'll just have to buy blindly like most others. I will say that materials used, weight, etc don't always mean a specific sound. Just because 2 speakers use Al tweeters and weigh close to the same, doesn't mean they'll sound anywhere near the same. Hopefully some dealers will order some soon or you can listen to something somewhat similar and make your decision...otherwise, look towards what you like aesthetically and go with it and be happy! Good luck

A

addictaudio

Audioholic
At this time, my decision is as follows, and please share your opinions:

1) Wharfedale Jade 7, C2, SR1
Never heard them. Low sensitivity, and not too much power handling. They look great, and a lot of engineering behind these.
2) Klipsch RF7, RC64, RS62
High sensitivity. heard them around two years ago. I liked the top end, but not much midbass coming from a 2-way design with 10-inch woofers. the looks are so-so. Great surround design.
3) Revel F208, C208, S206
Heard them. good bass and midbass, but poor top end reproduction. Narrow soundfield, not too airy sounding and not much soundstage. Surround color is not available in the same color as the towers and centers.
4) PSB T2, Center, and surround
Never heard these either. Great reviews on the T2's, but the center speaker does not impress me by design, when compared to others.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis