Weird Speaker Problem

P

petabread

Audiophyte
Not sure if this is the right place to post, but I've been having an odd problem with my speakers. I have 2 KEF Q100 speakers, and a polk subwoofer, powered by an older Onkyo receiver (HT-R530).

Whenever I power on the system, I get no sound from my KEFs for about a minute or so, while the subwoofer is working fine. After about a minute, I'll get some crackle and hiss from the speakers for a few seconds and then they pop in and start playing fine. They'll work perfect now for as long as the receiver is on, but if I turn it off, and turn it back on after maybe 10-12 hours, it will go through the same pattern.

Does anyone know what might be going on? I've installed with new speaker wires, did not have this problem if I use a different receiver with the KEFs, or if I use different speakers with the Onkyo receiver...

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
I can't even begin to guess what is going on, but if you value your speakers I would stop using that receiver ASAP. The receiver is obviously having some electrical troubles which could very possible cause damage to the speakers.

Stanton

Stanton

Audioholics Contributing Writer
I can't even begin to guess what is going on, but if you value your speakers I would stop using that receiver ASAP. The receiver is obviously having some electrical troubles which could very possible cause damage to the speakers.
+1 The fact that you DON'T have this problem with a different receiver should tell you something...

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Not sure if this is the right place to post, but I've been having an odd problem with my speakers. I have 2 KEF Q100 speakers, and a polk subwoofer, powered by an older Onkyo receiver (HT-R530).

Whenever I power on the system, I get no sound from my KEFs for about a minute or so, while the subwoofer is working fine. After about a minute, I'll get some crackle and hiss from the speakers for a few seconds and then they pop in and start playing fine. They'll work perfect now for as long as the receiver is on, but if I turn it off, and turn it back on after maybe 10-12 hours, it will go through the same pattern.

Does anyone know what might be going on? I've installed with new speaker wires, did not have this problem if I use a different receiver with the KEFs, or if I use different speakers with the Onkyo receiver...
Sounds like it might be a problem with the soft-start circuitry on the Onkyo.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Obviously that receiver no longer tolerates the load of the KEF speakers. Unfortunately those KEF speakers are not really 8 Ohm. They are four ohm and below from the bass well into the midrange, woth one region were the phase angle is a negative 60 degrees. So they are a difficult load especially considering they are bookshelves.

So your output stages are failing. When things stabilize, then the protections comes off. I agree there is risk of speaker damage. You need to find a four ohm capable receiver or a receiver that has preouts that you can use external amplification.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Whenever I power on the system, I get no sound from my KEFs for about a minute
That is a long time.

My ATI amps have a soft start protection circuit that takes about 20-25 sec to start up, which is already a long time. A minute is way too long. Something has to be wrong. Get a new Denon. :D

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
It is possible that the problem could be a dirty switch or potentiometer or relay in your receiver. In other words, you could have an intermittency somewhere that cleaning would fix. If you know how to do this, it is worth a try. And, of course, there is always the option of taking it to a professional service technician. Otherwise, take the advice above and plan on getting a new receiver.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

It is possible that the problem could be a dirty switch or potentiometer or relay in your receiver. In other words, you could have an intermittency somewhere that cleaning would fix. If you know how to do this, it is worth a try. And, of course, there is always the option of taking it to a professional service technician. Otherwise, take the advice above and plan on getting a new receiver.
Pots are long gone. It is now hard to find them for vintage restoration. Nothing uses a cursor and carbon resistor track any more and has not for about a generation now. They are all solid state controls and usually digital.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Pots are long gone. It is now hard to find them for vintage restoration. Nothing uses a cursor and carbon resistor track any more and has not for about a generation now. They are all solid state controls and usually digital.
You are most likely correct about the pots in AV gear.

However, I'm pretty sure that other equipment does still use them.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

You are most likely correct about the pots in AV gear.

However, I'm pretty sure that other equipment does still use them.
Low end mixers and gain controls on power amps is bout it. The higher end mixers have digital controls now.

One rule for certain now, if the control works from a remote it is not a pot. Motorized pots are certainly a thing of the past; way too expensive.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Low end mixers and gain controls on power amps is bout it. The higher end mixers have digital controls now.

One rule for certain now, if the control works from a remote it is not a pot. Motorized pots are certainly a thing of the past; way too expensive.
I guess I was too vague, I was referring to industrial equipment and larger lab instrumentation (X-ray generators, etc).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis