Watching TV in 2 rooms

ivseenbetter

ivseenbetter

Senior Audioholic
Watching TV in 2 rooms

This is probably a super retarded question but I want to make sure before I try it. I watch TV in my living room…and I watch TV in my bedroom. I never watch in both rooms at the same time. Is it possible to use the HDMI from my receiver to send a signal to my TV in the bedroom and then control what I am watching with an RF remote. Then when I am watching TV in the living room I can just use the component source to watch TV in there? If I do this, I can get rid of one of my cable boxes which would be cool.

The above is all I am truly interested in…however, as an additional (and much more complicated goal), is it possible for a receiver to send out different signal from it’s HDMI than what it sends out on the Component connection simultaneously? I’m thinking I would be able to play Xbox in the bedroom being fed to the TV via the receivers HDMI while my wife could be watching TV from the receiver utilizing it’s component connection. Just wondering if that is possible.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Your first question is what I do for the patio display but you have to run zone 2 speakers in the bedroom if you want to hear anything.

Your screwed on the second question.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
1. Yes it should work. I would opt to run component video DIRECTLY from STB to TV in LR, and use spdif for sound. Then run HDMI directly* to bedroom TV. Forget the receiver entirely for video, but use for main area's speakers (spdif). I don't ever remember setting any source up that didn't send it's signal through all of its outputs simultaneously, though I'm sure there must be cases of it.

2. Scrooed.

EDIT: regarding 2, or even 1 for that matter, why does everything have to go thru a receiver? Why not just hook up the X box where it needs to go directly or something? Whether that necessitates a component video or HDMI video switcher (they can be controlled by remote too . . .)

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
EDIT: regarding 2, or even 1 for that matter, why does everything have to go thru a receiver? Why not just hook up the X box where it needs to go directly or something? Whether that necessitates a component video or HDMI video switcher (they can be controlled by remote too . . .)
Don't make things sound so easy...:D

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
There are receivers that can output component video for auxiliary zones. The new Yamaha AX3000 does this (maybe the 1000 and 2000 as well). I was checking out the manual for it and it is very flexible. The manual hints at being able to use the second HDMI output for zone two but doesn't make clear how this would be done.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis