Washington Redskins – Change the name, keep it, or who cares?

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I don't have a problem with the name but I'm not Native American either. Now if there was a team called the "Jigaboos" or something like that I'd have an issue.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I don't care. Though I understand the reasoning, the name has been used for so long it really should not be an issue today.
So let me understand this, you have the quip "Nothing is trivial" in your sig, but a name some people interpret as a racial slur should not be an issue today? Hmmm...

I wonder how it would go over if the team changed its name to the Washington Crackers? :)

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
but a name some people interpret as a racial slur should not be an issue today? Hmmm...
I guess that's the question. There is certainly a vocal bunch that oppose the name, saying among other things that its the worst thing you could call a Native American. On the other hand, some would appear to feel differently.
RMUSD #27 / Red Mesa High School

Mark also mentioned there was a poll indicating a majority of Native Americans weren't offended by the name. That was done by the Annenberg Policy Center, and polled 768 self identified Native Americans; it wasn't just a simple majority that didn't find it offensive, but 90%. Not exactly damning proof that the term is considered to be as bad as the N-word (which I guarantee if you polled 768 random African Americans on using that for a team name, 100% would say it was offensive).

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I guess that's the question. There is certainly a vocal bunch that oppose the name, saying among other things that its the worst thing you could call a Native American. On the other hand, some would appear to feel differently.
RMUSD #27 / Red Mesa High School

Mark also mentioned there was a poll indicating a majority of Native Americans weren't offended by the name. That was done by the Annenberg Policy Center, and polled 768 self identified Native Americans; it wasn't just a simple majority that didn't find it offensive, but 90%. Not exactly damning proof that the term is considered to be as bad as the N-word (which I guarantee if you polled 768 random African Americans on using that for a team name, 100% would say it was offensive).
Yeah, I get that, but from my own personal perspective I'm just sick and tired of skin color being such a discriminating factor in American society. It doesn't take a very deep study at all of American history to be disgusted by racial bigotry in practice and in law. A deeper study is downright nauseating. I'm just of the opinion that we should expunge this sort of thinking. The name Redskins, whether offensive to some Native Americans or not, is just a byproduct of s-t-u-p-i-d discrimination based on skin color. My own narrow view is that it's time for that to be over as an idea we even vaguely tolerate in public discourse.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I think they should ban all football ... and maybe baseball too. Basketball can stay.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
I wonder how it would go over if the team changed its name to the Washington Crackers? :)
Just think , twice a year they could play the Philadelphia Cream Cheese , it's like NJ and you , perfect together.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Prize or no prize I am some what offended by Cracker Jacks, it's just plain insulting to Crackers everywhere.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Washington Redskins – Change the name, keep it, or who cares?

Is it even possible to Ban every word that may possibly be offensive to anyone in every situation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jinjuku

jinjuku

My Grandmother came from the reservation. My Cousin married back into a tribe and lives on the Res.

It's a derogatory term that is meant to convey a racial ethnicity regardless of nation one comes from as a Native American.

If you are speaking with a Seminole, an Algonquin, Lakota, Cherokee, Pueblo, Navajo, Apache etc one shouldn't refer to them as 'Red Skin'.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
It's a derogatory term that is meant to convey a racial ethnicity regardless of nation one comes from as a Native American.
I believe the quandary comes not from the word, but what to do about it. I think the only time a decent person really wants to offend anybody is to demonstrate their disrespect, and I don't believe that's the issue here. The disagreement is over the point at which government should become involved.

The list of words whose root may be offensive to a particular person or group is endless. When does it move from an issue of social acceptance into a legal issue?

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I don't think legality is the issue. I could form a team and call it the [insert racial epithet here]. There's no law against it, we still have free speech, but I wouldn't be allowed to trademark the name. I don't see the problem here.

I think the fact that we are even having this discussion means we have a long way to go.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
On top of having a racist mascot they have a bad football team.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I don't think legality is the issue.
Really?

USPTO-led Executive Actions on High Tech Patent Issues
"The United States Patent and Trademark Office... an agency of the Department of Commerce"

"On June 4, 2013, President Obama announced five executive actions “to help bring about greater transparency to the patent system and level the playing field for innovators.” Four of these actions were undertaken by the USPTO. On February 20, 2014, the President announced three new initiatives aimed at encouraging innovation and strengthening the “quality and accessibility of the patent system.” Below is a summary of the initiatives that the USPTO has implemented to realize the President’s vision."

I don't see where these particular "executive actions" are related to our topic, but make no mistake, the Patent Office is the government, subject to the whims of the president, a legal entity, and it seems they are saying that ANYBODY can now sell items and services using the name "Redskins". Seems strange. They're not saying, "Don't use that word". They're saying anybody can use that word, make money off of it, and undercut the revenue of the football organization. How is that anything but weird, convoluted, and political?

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
That's what a trademark is all about. If I tried to trademark something that I couldn't say on this forum, they would disallow it. I could still call my product that but I couldn't stop anyone else from using the name. There isn't a legal way to say don't use that word.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
That's what a trademark is all about. If I tried to trademark something that I couldn't say on this forum, they would disallow it. I could still call my product that but I couldn't stop anyone else from using the name. There isn't a legal way to say don't use that word.
The word, no, but the logo is another story. Just ask Wegmans.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
There isn't a legal way to say don't use that word.
But there are legal actions and penalties associated with its use. Don't get me wrong. I don't want to offend Native Americans or anyone else I respect. My original point was to wonder at what point the government should take legal action, (like revoking patents or designating "hate crimes"), to encourage or discourage the use of certain language.

Sure we have free speech. But if you kill me because you want my wallet, the penalty is less than if you call me a name while killing me because you want my wallet. I don't understand it, and don't understand the government's role in it. If one is offended by some language, he shouldn't use or support it. If enough people are offended and don't use/support it, the language will evolve as it always has.

We have enough problems for which government action is required. If evolution of the English language is one of them, then for God's sake please let them start with Shakespeare so I can read and understand one play without needing a semester for someone to explain it to me.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis