H

HurleyBC

Audioholic Intern
I live up in Canada and am looking to purchase Yamaha's Rxv 1500 reciever, all the pricing i have found in Canada in nearly 450 bux more than buying it off the net from the US. My question is by ordering it from the states am I going to run into problems with warranty issues if something ever comes up since I am a canadian citizen, and it a US made Yamaha product. The closet thing to the 1500 is the yamaha 750 which they want $740 for.

Also the 1500 has 120 watts per channel am I going to run into problems with my speakers since they are 100 watt capable? Thanks for the help

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I can't answer the import question, but that very issue has been discussed a few times lately and I'm sure someone can answer that for you.

As for the speaker question: There will be absolutely no problem using speakers rated for 100 watts with a receiver capable of 120 watts.

First, the speaker's max power input is just a guideline and is usually VERY conservative. Most speakers can handle in excess of their 'rated' power for short periods of time (the tweeters are more fragile than the woofers, of course). The difference between 100 watts and 120 watts is roughly .5 db. Only a very poor speaker couldn't handle that miniscule increase in power.

You will rarely, if ever, use the full 120 watts from the receiver - with even moderately sensitive speakers, that will yield very high sound pressure levels.

The only caveat to this is if you drive the amp too hard and it clips the waveform. A clipped waveform can damage tweeters. As long as you don't drive the amp full out, you shouldn't ever have a problem.

crashguy

crashguy

Audioholic
Speaking from experience, you WILL NOT be able to get any repairs done under warranty in Canada if you purchase an item from the states, authorized dealer or not. I promise you. If you would like to find out for yourself, phone an electronics repair place, tell them you have an item (make one up) that you bought over the net from the US, you have the bill of sale, it is under warranty, and it needs repair. They will tell you they can't help you.

toquemon

toquemon

Full Audioholic
I still can't understand what was NAFTA for. It supposed to take away the borderlines in commerce, that everybody was going to be better at least taking about money and jobs. The only thing i can buy over the Internet are CD's and DVD's, not even books, because you have to pay a lot of taxes, or to bribe the police to let you import whatever you want. I have the impression that it helped only to the big transnational companies.

I am not an economist, but it isn't hard to see the correlation between the beginning of NAFTA and the increasing poverty in my country, with 50% of the population considered poor and 25% of these considered in misery. That means twenty million new poor people in fifteen years, disastrous for a "wanna-be" first world economy. That's why you have a lot of mexicans in your countries fellows, because they have nothing to loose. Would you work for less than 1 dollar a day?.

Well, lets stay away from politics and keep on audio. Maybe i'm only mad because i can't buy a set of axiom or rbh speakers through the internet.

D

diggerdave

Audioholic Intern
do you know anyone in the states well enough to ask them to buy it. Of course that would mean a trip down here and another two trips if it ever had to be repaired...

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Where you live is less of an issue than where you buy it. Buying any RXV unit off the internet voids the warranty.

D

diggerdave

Audioholic Intern
I called ecoustics.com today to ask about this warranty biz. they told me that they would warranty the product with a warranty that matches the manufacturers in this cas yamaha. Of course you have to ship it back to ecoustics... and I wonder if I was just being fed a line to make the sale. what I also noticed is just about every internet dealer offers an extended warranty which doesn't kick it until the initial warranty expires. ecoustics offers either mack or philips on the rx-v line

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
diggerdave said:
I called ecoustics.com today to ask about this warranty biz. they told me that they would warranty the product with a warranty that matches the manufacturers in this cas yamaha. Of course you have to ship it back to ecoustics... and I wonder if I was just being fed a line to make the sale. what I also noticed is just about every internet dealer offers an extended warranty which doesn't kick it until the initial warranty expires. ecoustics offers either mack or philips on the rx-v line
The vendor is warranting the product, not the manufacturer. There is a big difference.

There are legal questions that must be answered, specifically, what remedy do you have to enforce the vendor to fulfill their warranty? Internet companies can come and go with the wind. Because many internet companies lack a physical location, it can be difficult to legally enforce criminal action should the firm fail to fulfill their warranty.

If the product doesnt work, can you drop the defective goods upon the sales counter of the seller? Products sold through traditional channels of distribution can be physically returned to the seller and the warranty enforced. Try returning the product to an internet company.

My suggestion, whenever possible, purchase products through traditional channels of distribution.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis