Warpdrv - SuperSize file server build

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Well I have gotten pretty much all the other parts of my system together and decided it was time to start putting together a computer to use as a storage tank for all my files. Music / Movies / Photos streamed with the Popcorn Hour C-200's that my awesome GF/sugar mama has gotten for me... :)

My good friend, forum member here "krzywica" who is a Network Systems Engineer for the electric co here - has been priceless in helping me decide how and which direction to take in this build, and we have come up with a pretty extensive setup to last me many years to come as far as storage goes.

So one of my other friends totally came through for me and got a HUGE RACK to put my amps in for all my subs for free, and I decided to utilize the extra space to put a computer in it as well...

I wanted to have enough room to add more and more HD's on the fly so we designed the entire build on a rack mounted RAID Array with that ability to add more drives on the fly, starting slow. krzywica pointed me in the direction to get the NORCO RPC-4220, seems to be a popular choice these days for large expandable arrays, as others have used this case for similar builds, it is a 4U Rackmount Server Chassis w/ 20 Hot-Swappable SATA/SAS Drive Bays - I'll be using 2TB Hitachi HD32000.

I didn't want to dump the farm on this thing, but it will stretch the wallet in the end when all the HD's are factored in. I just got the first delivery with the case and some of the other parts today, and will post pics along the way if you guys would like...

Build components so far.
1 - NORCO RPC-4220 4U Rackmount Server Chassis w/ 20 Hot-Swappable SATA/SAS Drive Bays
1 - Video Card 3D Fuzion 3DFR6200LEE GeForce 6200LE TC 256MB
1 - (Motherboard) ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo LGA 775
1 - (CPU) Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 Wolfdale 2.8GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core
2 - Seagate Momentus 7200.4 ST9250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" (mirroring os)
1 - (RAM) OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit
4 - NORCO C-SFF8087-D SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 Internal Multilane SAS Cable
1 - (PS) CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V
1 - Adaptec RAID CARD 52445 28-port (24 internal/4 external)

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Nice to see you are pioneering the build thread man....I tend to fall asleep on my keyboard if I type more than one or two sentences contiguously.

F

FNG212

Audioholic
any plans for a DVD/BR player on the build? What software are you going to run? Are you ripping DVDs / BRs straight into the drives?

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Haha.... Hey - I really appreciate you helping me on this build....

I have built many many computers but I have never composed an array of this magnitude.... nor setup windows server before.... the guidance will be helpful....

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
That looks sweet, I'm so jealous, I would love to have something like that. I'm excited to see the progress, please keep posting pics as you go.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I had successfully setup OpenFiler at work so ask me if you choose to go this route... also check out my blog/ STORAGE label - I got new articles and some interesting comment.
I'm really impressed - this monster will probably be loud as 747 taking off.

Respect on "Adaptec RAID CARD 52445 28-port (24 internal/4 external)"
This card alone is over $1.5k

I seen something similar done, but somewhat cheaper (per Tb), but these guys built their own custom enclosure.

Here you go:
http://www.jebriggs.com/blog/2009/09/backblaze-storage-pod-and-alternatives/
http://blog.backblaze.com/2009/09/01/petabytes-on-a-budget-how-to-build-cheap-cloud-storage/

Granted you solution will probably provide much more I/O and I hope you can actually use it ;)

J

jvgillow

Full Audioholic
Not sure I understand the reasoning behind a massive hardware RAID card like that for home use with relatively low IOps. Keep in mind that software RAID is very portable, with hardware RAID if the card dies you will lose everything unless you can find a replacement card that has the ability to import the array.

Also with huge 2TB SATA drives you will want to steer clear of RAID-5 unless the data is relatively unimportant.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
The choice of the raid card was geared towards Reliability & expandability, As well as a card that would handle all the drives, and I paid no where near list price for it.
Also for $150 I can get linked expansion cards if the requirement comes about.
Raid 6 will employed for this build.

I guess I like do things the right way the first time and not take the cheap route.

Plan was to use whatever format necessary with the c200's that will stream with HD audio
which is pretty much full BR rip for now until other methods work to Save space.

Last edited:
Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
any plans for a DVD/BR player on the build? What software are you going to run? Are you ripping DVDs / BRs straight into the drives?
I guess I missed some questions here...
I have a BR on my laptop, so I didn't actually have a need for one on this, I have a LAN connection right at my seating location, so If and when I want to transfer, my network is all WiFi or Cat6 - and will be plenty fast for transfers.
Going to be running one of the versions of Windows server, not sure which just yet - depending on compatibility of hardware, this will come down to krzywica - I'm leaning on his expertise on how best to run the system as I'm not very well versed with the scale of something like this...

That looks sweet, I'm so jealous, I would love to have something like that. I'm excited to see the progress, please keep posting pics as you go.
Thanks buddy, I'll try to keep it updated along the way...

I'm really impressed - this monster will probably be loud as 747 taking off.

Respect on "Adaptec RAID CARD 52445 28-port (24 internal/4 external)"
This card alone is over $1.5k

Granted you solution will probably provide much more I/O and I hope you can actually use it ;)
Thanks ---- My rack will be in the basement out of range of hearing, so no worries on the noise level, and I hardly doubt it will compete on the db level of my 4 x 4000w amps... :)

As far as the RAID card, yes its expensive and probably overkill here with data speed for my needs, but will probably future proof me for quite some time if it doesn't take a dump on me, but these cards have a pretty darn good reputation as you likely are aware...

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Question, it appears you are planning to put two 250GB HDDs in your build. Do you think that will be enough?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Question, it appears you are planning to put two 250GB HDDs in your build. Do you think that will be enough?
I think he will use 2x250 for a system/boot only, all data will be on 1.5tb drives, which I think he hasnt get yet.

Windows servers are not generally would be my choice for this build, since doing anything except simple cifs shares will extremely difficult to setup. Plus volume management of windows server leaves lot to be desired...

Plus lets not forget the basic facts:
Windows 2008 Server Standard - $660
OpenFiler /Freenas - $0

note: Imho openfiler is on better system then freenas, but openfiler requires external directory server (AD/LDAP) which is something home users typically dont have or need.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeNAS

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Oh I forgot that I ended up with 2.5" 250gb drives... mirrored for the OS instead of the 80gb 3.5"

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Not sure I understand the reasoning behind a massive hardware RAID card like that for home use with relatively low IOps.
You don't understand because you aren't streaming full BD's on multiple devices simultaneously from the same array. While also being able to do video encoding and streaming with other services and writing data without interrupting BD playback. Its essential that we chose a card with a really good deicated ROC. Factoring in all the needs software RAID does not come close to meeting them.
Keep in mind that software RAID is very portable, with hardware RAID if the card dies you will lose everything unless you can find a replacement card that has the ability to import the array.
This is 100% false.

If the card dies you RMA it and pop the new one into place. This is one of the many benefits of a hardware RAID solution.

Software RAID however is dependent in most cases on the OS, leaving you in many cases tied to both the hardware and software that you initially built the server on, leaving virtually no upgrade path.

Last edited:
krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I think he will use 2x250 for a system/boot only, all data will be on 1.5tb drives, which I think he hasnt get yet.

Windows servers are not generally would be my choice for this build, since doing anything except simple cifs shares will extremely difficult to setup. Plus volume management of windows server leaves lot to be desired...

Plus lets not forget the basic facts:
Windows 2008 Server Standard - $660
OpenFiler /Freenas - $0

note: Imho openfiler is on better system then freenas, but openfiler requires external directory server (AD/LDAP) which is something home users typically dont have or need.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeNAS
We will be using strictly SMB shares (cifs) to host the media. Using a Windows based OS may cost more, but it will work the best with the software and database that is to be implemented.

We considered Linux as I have a mountain of experience there, but Warp does not as he is much more versed in Windows based OS's and he needs something he can maintain and work with on his own without assistance.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis