Wanting info on my grandfathers OLD OLD OLD HMV pictured inside!

holden_stroker

holden_stroker

Junior Audioholic
hey guys, was cleaning out my grandfathers house today and aquired myself a record player. wasnt sure if it worked or not, but we turned it on and she came to life no worries at all!!!!

im looking for any info anyone has on this thing and wondering what sort of value it holds???

its a HMV (his masters voice) and has "stereophonics" written down the side. its a simple radio/record player that supports 16s, 33s, 45s, and 78s.

also wondering if anyone knows what sort of vintage it would be also??

also, when i turn the knobs (volume/tone/balance etc) theres a lot of static and noise that comes through the built in speakers. just wondering what would be causing this and how i could go about fixing it??? the noise is mainly there when adjusting the knobs, its fine once its set up and playing a record.

thanks very much guys, pics below :D

Attachments

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
The static is from oxidation and dust that has deposited on the control over the years. If you have an electronics supplier or repair shop nearby, you should be able to buy some contact cleaner. The controls will have a slot where it can be squirted, then you would move the control through its rang of motion several times. If it needs more, repeat the process.

HMV was the slogan used by RCA- remember the white dog next to the Grammophone? It looks like a 1950's vintage. One thing about old tube equipment is that the electrolytic capacitors go bad over time. Sitting isn't the best thing for them. If you hear sudden crackling, hissing and snapping sounds, shut it off and check it out. The good news- these parts are easily available all over and they aren't particularly expensive. They do, however, require care when working inside- capacitors work with DC voltages and they store energy. You need to know that the DC voltages in these can be dangerous or lethal under the right circumstances. The rule of thumb is that if you touch anything inside of the amplifier with one hand, keep the other in your pocket. Nothing from the opposite side of your body should touch the chassis if you touch a capacitor's positive lead and definitely keep it unplugged when you're working on it unless you know what you're doing.

Enjoy it.

6L6X4

6L6X4

Audioholic
Love it! :D

It's got that Flintstones meets the Jetsons look. What a treasure.

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
its a HMV (his masters voice) and has "stereophonics" written down the side. its a simple radio/record player that supports 16s, 33s, 45s, and 78s.
Can you find a number on the backside e.g. HMV1611 ?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
What a beautiful piece! I’ll bet that thing cost a pretty penny in its day...

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Last edited by a moderator:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Just a few observations...

Since it has 33 and 16, I'd say it was from the late fifties to the seventies. If it's solid state, move that towards the mid/late sixties up.

That particular style of "consolette" seems to have been most popular in the late 60's though.

"HMV" was probably a division of RCA. It was not sold here AFAIKT.

By the surfeit of short-wave bands, I'd say this most likely never saw the US of A. SW was never big here on combo units.

It does look like a nifty find, though. Enjoy.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Just a few observations...

Since it has 33 and 16, I'd say it was from the late fifties to the seventies. If it's solid state, move that towards the mid/late sixties up.

That particular style of "consolette" seems to have been most popular in the late 60's though.

"HMV" was probably a division of RCA. It was not sold here AFAIKT.

By the surfeit of short-wave bands, I'd say this most likely never saw the US of A. SW was never big here on combo units.

It does look like a nifty find, though. Enjoy.
The styling is what makes me think it's from the '50s, with the angles and veneer color, not that it couldn't have been from the '60s but it strikes me as 'Mid-Century Modern'. My parents had an RCA "HiFi" from that period but it was phono only. The main unit had the turntable and amplifier with an RCA jack (go figure) for sending signal to a matching auxiliary speaker, which was the same size as the main cabinet- a 6" x 9" oval and two 3-1/2" cone "tweeters". The amplifier was a push-pull 6V6 design and it actually sounded pretty decent considering it had a ceramic cartridge. After I got my first stereo, I used the speakers as rear fill. Big (about 24"W x 24"D x 32"H) and free air- the bottom of each cabinet was open. The amplifier's input eventually saw the output from my little guitar amp and with the RCA's volume turned down, it made a great master volume control when I wanted some distortion for the guitar before I could afford effects.

I would be very surprised if any of the tubes prove hard to find in the event that one goes bad.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Sorry . I can't help you. However, I must say that thing is really cool looking. I hoep you can get it restored for just the radio alone. I don't why shortwave never caught on in NA. I used to listen to German broadcasts to help me remember my German before the radio gave out. I never did replace it.

holden_stroker

holden_stroker

Junior Audioholic
thanks for the feedback guys. i looked around for a model number on it to do a google search but there's nothing else stamped on it at all.

i will give the contact cleaner a shot as we sell that stuff at work.

it also has a lead running out the back of it to plug in an external speaker or something by the look, would've this been standard equipment on it? it has a switch near the turn table which my grandfather has labeled "tape" and something else. i have a feeling he may've used it with an external device as well as he did a lot of recording yeeeaaarrrsssss ago.

cheers guys.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis