Want to start building a system

K

Kyle Colacicco

Audiophyte
So I have lurked here for a while and finally decided to post. I want to start piecing together a decent home theater system and I haven't really decided on a budget yet. All I have is some basics that I was basically given for free so I guess I can't complain there... Wouldn't call it much of home theater. That's where you guys come in! I don't have a total budget but I'd like to do it piece by piece and give myself a budget on each part...

Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR313 (failed HDMI)
Speakers: 2 x Polk Monitor 40
Sub: PSW110

I would like to start with the receiver for now and just give me a good base to start working with since the HDMI has gone on my onkyo. I have been trying to find something under $700 if possible, I came across a few posts mentioning that Yamaha and Denon do well in that price range and I was looking at the Denon AVR-X3000 (accessories4less has it for $550). It will probably be another month or so before I start looking to grab new front/center speakers.

R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
IMO XT32 processing with SubEQ is the feature worth having. My recommendation is to spring for the X4000.

PM AccuDefTechGuy for good pricing on new.

K

Kyle Colacicco

Audiophyte
Thanks I will talk to him, I had looked at the 4000 originally but wasn't sure on the price. I don't mind jumping up a little in price.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks I will talk to him, I had looked at the 4000 originally but wasn't sure on the price. I don't mind jumping up a little in price.
If you are going to put money in that type of receiver - then I would aim for some good
quality speakers to be driven, by that Denon

K

Kyle Colacicco

Audiophyte
If you are going to put money in that type of receiver - then I would aim for some good
quality speakers to be driven, by that Denon
Speakers were next, I just need a receiver now that this one is starting to fail and I wanted to start somewhere. It will probably be about another month until I am able to drop for some decent speakers. I was going to bump my monitor 40's back as surrounds. I haven't gone to listen to any speakers yet, any suggestions to keep in mind when I get there?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Speakers were next, I just need a receiver now that this one is starting to fail and I wanted to start somewhere. It will probably be about another month until I am able to drop for some decent speakers. I was going to bump my monitor 40's back as surrounds. I haven't gone to listen to any speakers yet, any suggestions to keep in mind when I get there?
That depends on some type of budget

K

Kyle Colacicco

Audiophyte
For the front speakers I'd like to stay under the similar $750-$800 for the pair. I do have a little bit of flexibility with it if there is really a tier higher somewhere within range of that. Will the 40's make decent surrounds?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
For the front speakers I'd like to stay under the similar $750-$800 for the pair. I do have a little bit of flexibility with it if there is really a tier higher somewhere within range of that. Will the 40's make decent surrounds?
JBL Studio 530 - some real nice/good speakers
Amazon.com: JBL Studio 530 Two-Way Bookshelf Loudspeakers (Pair, Black): Electronics

JBL Studio 520
Amazon.com: JBL Studio 530 Two-Way Bookshelf Loudspeakers (Pair, Black): Electronics

The M-40's can survive as surrounds.

Note - the Polk sub is no match for the JBL speakers - JBL has some nice tight/controlled
and articulate bass. The Polk sub will be too sloppy for it.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
IMO XT32 processing with SubEQ is the feature worth having. My recommendation is to spring for the X4000.
I agree with ReUpRo. Here's what's gonna happen...
> You get the X4000. (It has all the features, including 4K upscaling so it will still work when you get a 4K TV 10 years from now, and great performance.)
> You get the best speakers you can afford.
> You get the best subwoofer you can afford.
> You get some more speakers when you can afford them.
> You get a better sub when you can afford it.
> You get some more speakers when you can afford them.
> You get a better sub when you can afford it.
> Wash, Rinse, Repeat... Perhaps you throw in an external amp somewhere along the line, but all the while your X4000 stays, does everything you want, and does it very well.

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
Although I agree on the x4000, I would spend the bulk of my budget on speakers. JMO.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I'd recommend the Philharmonic Audio Monitor and matching center across the front.

http://philharmonicaudio.com/folio-me/html/Phil Pages/bookshelf.html

When you get around to the sub, look into offerings from SV Sound, Power Sound Audio, Hsu Research, Rythmick.

Your buying order should be, receiver (since the Onkyo is dead), Main LR, Sub and finally Center.

The Polk Speakers can definitely be used for surrounds.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Although I agree on the x4000, I would spend the bulk of my budget on speakers. JMO.
Yes, but his budget is almost in the X4000 neighborhood already. I suspect if he settles for less now, he will want to add a new AVR into the sequence later. If he stretches for the X4000 now, he can concentrate on speakers for a long time and ultimately spend the bulk of his budget on speakers like you say... IMHO.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
+1 for the Philharmonitor speakers. I've heard them and like them.

When you look for left & right speakers, make sure you look for a center speaker that is meant to go with them, even if you intend to buy it later. A cohesive sound shared by the front 3 speakers is, in my opinion, the most important part of a surround speaker system.

Subwoofers are also important, but mixing in different makes of subwoofers is not a problem.

What do you think of how your Polk Monitor 40 speakers sound? Some people dislike the so called Polk sound, and others are happy with them. I've not heard the Monitor 40s, but other smaller 2-way Polks I have heard in the past I thought were not bad.

B

bushido

Junior Audioholic
I'd be scouring Craigslist can eBay for "previously owned" equipment. If you don't like it, you can always resell it on CL and move forward.

There are generally 2 kinds of people on CL: those who are trying to get a much higher price than the item can command, and the other guy who is just trying to clean out the garage...You can find $2500 speakers for a third of the cost...

Always be cautious when meeting a stranger from CL...

Best of luck,

Onward and upward
Puff

K

Kyle Colacicco

Audiophyte
I just wanted a good base to start with for now which is why I don't mind going for the x4000 if it will last. I am actually getting so much advice here via this thread and PM's that it's a bit overwhelming, which lots of options is always good I suppose.

I do like the sound of the Polks but I haven't heard too many different speakers, A friend of mine does a little work for a home audio store so I have been trying to find time to get in there and actually listen to some. Some of those custom cabinets on the Philharmonitors though... :cool: I have been checking a few sites almost daily for deals on stuff but I'm always weary buying used and usually don't mind paying the price just so I can peal that clear sheeting off myself :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis