Wall speakers in the ceiling...is it done?

3zones

Enthusiast
Hi all, so I'm at the point of cutting holes for the final room in my whole house audio project. Volume knob is in and wires are now run in the ceiling. It not a new construction so has been a huge pain to accomplish. Thus far I have Monoprice 8" round ceiling 2 way speakers in the upstairs rooms and I splurged for three way 8" in wall for the dining room walls (not mounted in the ceiling). So here's my question. The Monprice 3 way in-wall speakers sound better than the 2 way in ceilings. I am thinking of putting a pair of rectangular in walls in that final room being the kitchen because it the most used room. Is it appropriate to put rectangular speakers in the ceiling? I know rounds will be easier because you don't have to line them up to be parallel with walls but want the sound better sound of the cheap Monoprice 3ways. I want to stay Monoprice because they are so inexpensive. It is tacky or wrong or not done to do this?

Thanks

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
There's no reason you can't successfully use rectanagular wall speakers in a ceiling. I've seen it done before.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
You should see what was in the ceiling in this guy's house when he bought it. :D

Oh, and I'm with Mark. Rectangular speakers in the ceiling isn't bad, and if you like how they sound better - that's the way to go. Do the in-wall speakers allow you to adjust the angle of any of the drivers so that you can aim them?

3zones

Enthusiast
You should see what was in the ceiling in this guy's house when he bought it. :D

Oh, and I'm with Mark. Rectangular speakers in the ceiling isn't bad, and if you like how they sound better - that's the way to go. Do the in-wall speakers allow you to adjust the angle of any of the drivers so that you can aim them?
The in-wall Monoprice 3 ways do not have the ability to aim either a woofer or tweeter. The less expensive 8" 2 ways in ceilings allow you to aim the tweeter however and the more expensive 8" 2 way in ceilings allow you to aim the woofer also. My completely disinterested wife said she would prefer the round version and so I'm thinking I will go ahead and do the round ones. I couldn't drag an opinion out of here until today.

That guy's set up looks like a 1980's nightmare.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I've been more impressed with what I have heard from the angled 8" speakers from Monoprice for whatever reason. If you are just doing this for background audio, either set sounds good. I use a lot of these speakers throughout my home, and they are all of acceptable or better quality for in-wall/ceiling speakers.

For many of my TV locations on the top floor of my home I think I will be opting for the angled 8" speakers as it is far more directional with the sound which I don't think is as good for background audio, but it is excellent for TV that requires in-ceiling speakers.

3zones

Enthusiast
I've been more impressed with what I have heard from the angled 8" speakers from Monoprice for whatever reason. If you are just doing this for background audio, either set sounds good. I use a lot of these speakers throughout my home, and they are all of acceptable or better quality for in-wall/ceiling speakers.

For many of my TV locations on the top floor of my home I think I will be opting for the angled 8" speakers as it is far more directional with the sound which I don't think is as good for background audio, but it is excellent for TV that requires in-ceiling speakers.

Thanks, yes this will be mostly for background music and the audio from the main room tv through out the house/zones. The top floor of my house in the master bed and bath, both have hand 12' vaulted ceilings and so the vaults angle the speakers where I need the sound. I'll say the sound from these both types of Monoprice's that I have varies by room and backing material. The master bedroom sounds the worst given one speaker is free air with no baffle of insulation. I need to cover it with something but all that is up in the attic is spray insulation and so the insulation gets into the workings of the speaker. Maybe a buy a bat of fiberglass roll insulation. The in wall 3 ways (in the dining room) sound good but one is in a hollow void in the wall so again no backing at all, the master bathroom sound awesome for some reason. It's a big room but the acoustics for some reason are decent. Basically each room sounds as good as each speaker install location. For fun I checked out the ceiling speakers at BestBuy.com and some of them are literally over $400. Makes me wonder how much 'better' they sound for background music.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis