ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
So since all of our local Block Buster's have closed down, we basically stopped watching movies. Not a big deal in the summer as we spend most of our time outdoors then.

Now that it's starting to get cool and the sun goes down so early, we are getting the itch to watch movies again.

At one time I was a Netflix subscriber but I was never impressed so I cancelled it. Now I am looking for the best and easiest way to just watch a darn movie.

I have heard some decent things about Vudu so I just downloaded it and played around a bit. It seems pretty cool as the picture looks decent and it is multi-channel. My internet speed seems to be robust enough to watch the highest quality setting without issue.

Is this the best way to go or is there something better?

My source is a PS3 going to a Panasonic plasma display (just in case you haven't seen one of the million pictures I have posted).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If you have Amazon Prime, you can get that with 5.1 and HD on the PS3. Netflix HD picture quality is better on the PS3 than Amazon Prime - I've compared them back to back with the same movies. Audio is about the same, and it is quite good. My internet speed is top notch, so that isn't a factor. The Amazon app kind of sucks though. I have no cable, so I primarily watch Blu-ray and Netflix.

Hulu is now on PS3 as well, but I wasn't impressed with their content so I cancelled it.

*edit - there is also a Vudu app for the PS3; not sure if that is what you downloaded and tried. Vudu content is pretty good, but also pricey for new movies.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
If you have Amazon Prime, you can get that with 5.1 and HD on the PS3. Netflix HD picture quality is better on the PS3 than Amazon Prime - I've compared them back to back with the same movies. Audio is about the same, and it is quite good. My internet speed is top notch, so that isn't a factor. The Amazon app kind of sucks though.

Hulu is now on PS3 as well, but I wasn't impressed with their content so I cancelled it. IIRC, I think there is also a Vudu app for the PS3, but not 100% sure about that. I have no cable, so I primarily watch Blu-ray and Netflix.
Yep, there is a Vudu app on the PS3. I just signed up and received a $5.99 credit so I will go ahead and rent a movie and check it out.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Vudu has by far the widest selection of watchable movies, but, even so, they'll be mostly movies you've probably seen before, and it'll cost you between $2 and $6 every time you want to see one. Netflix is nice because if you're going to watch movies you've seen before at least you shouldn't have to pay for it individually.

As an aside, the video content industry is so screwed up, more so in my locale because you can't get really high-speed internet without ponying up a wad to Comcast every month, which includes mandatory CATV. No matter what I do I end up owing Comcast over $120 each month. What a racket.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Vudu has by far the widest selection of watchable movies, but, even so, they'll be mostly movies you've probably seen before, and it'll cost you between $2 and $6 every time you want to see one. Netflix is nice because if you're going to watch movies you've seen before at least you shouldn't have to pay for it individually.

As an aside, the video content industry is so screwed up, more so in my locale because you can't get really high-speed internet without ponying up a wad to Comcast every month, which includes mandatory CATV. No matter what I do I end up owing Comcast over $120 each month. What a racket.
Our "test" movie last night was flawless and Vudu seemed like a nice platform.

It's probably been a year since we watched a movie so the content seemed good for us. We watched a movie from 2008 and one from 2009 last night so we have some catch-up to do.

Yep, between internet, home phone for fax line and TV, we are $200 deep a month with U Verse. PO's me every time I pay the bill.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I have switch to using Red Box, since cancelling my Netflix....It is cheap and convienent. Sometimes a little more limited on selections though.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I have switch to using Red Box, since cancelling my Netflix....It is cheap and convienent. Sometimes a little more limited on selections though.
Red Box has always seemed like a good place to get mugged....

T

Tin Ear

Junior Audioholic
Vudu is known for having the most 1080p and 3D content. I use them for the 3D stuff an delivery is flawless on my 82" Mitsu DLP thru Samsung BD.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Red Box has always seemed like a good place to get mugged....
Maybe.....but no risk no reward;)

Actually though all the onese I go to are located inside of the local grocery stores or at a CVS or Walgreens.....see fine to me.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe.....but no risk no reward;)

Actually though all the onese I go to are located inside of the local grocery stores or at a CVS or Walgreens.....see fine to me.
Ours seem to be outside and I always see a creep near by.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
I've been looking for a substitute to Netflix myself. NF is fine if you like older movies, older tv shows, but over all the content is lacking. Vudu, to me, seems expensive. If you watch 3 movies a week, that could range in price from $6 - $18.00 a week at $2 - $6.00 per movie.

Being on a budget, and not one that watches a lot of tv, I opted for a Showtime package through Directv. $12.00 a month and unlimited movies.

Maybe this would be a good option for you as well.

htgeek

htgeek

Enthusiast
I watch a lot of movies! We use netflix,hulu plus,amazon vod and vudu. I will say vudu is the closest to bluray quality video that I've experienced. We just watched Prometheus and I was very impressed with the pq. Although $6 a movie could get expensive for us. I mostly use nexflix and wait for the bluray unless I want instant gratification then it's vudu for sure!

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I've been looking for a substitute to Netflix myself. NF is fine if you like older movies, older tv shows, but over all the content is lacking. Vudu, to me, seems expensive. If you watch 3 movies a week, that could range in price from $6 - $18.00 a week at $2 - $6.00 per movie.

Being on a budget, and not one that watches a lot of tv, I opted for a Showtime package through Directv. $12.00 a month and unlimited movies.

Maybe this would be a good option for you as well.
it is a tad expensive but we have watched 3 movies on it so far and I like it.

V

Vart

Audioholic
I'll stick to actual blu-rays from Netflix until somebody starts streaming new movies. I don't see that happening any time soon though.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'll stick to actual blu-rays from Netflix until somebody starts streaming new movies. I don't see that happening any time soon though.
Vudu and Amazon both stream new movies, but the newest movies cost the most.

V

Vart

Audioholic
Vudu and Amazon both stream new movies, but the newest movies cost the most.
You're right. I should have said until someone streams new movies at an affordable price. I pay $16.19/mo for Netflix. I normally watch 2 movies from them a week. I think Amazon and VUDU charge around $5 for new titles in HD. That would cost me $40/mo if I watched 2 every week. Seems like a no brainer to me. The only good thing about the streaming services is the convenience.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis