VTF-1 MK2 Break-In Period

J

jfalek

Enthusiast
I am thinking about getting a VTF-1 MK2 and wanted to know what to expect for a "break-in period". I have a family that would not appreciate cranked up music/movies for weeks "just" to get the subwoofer "broken-in".
  • Is a break-in period really needed? What is actually getting "broken in", if anything?
  • How long of process could this be - days, weeks, months?
  • What happens if I don't break it in? I know that the subwoofer police don't come to my house, but what happens if I only play it every few days for 30 minutes - will it suddenly change and need "re-tuning"?

Thank you,
James

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Is a break-in period really needed?
From a practical standpoint, no. Using the product will break it in.

What is actually getting "broken in", if anything?
The driver, as a mechanical device, will "break in" over time.

but what happens if I only play it every few days for 30 minutes - will it suddenly change and need "re-tuning"?
No. Performance can change slightly over time (it's a gradual process), but you're probably not going to notice the difference.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Drive it pretty hard for 5 minutes and you can consider it broke in. All you are really doing is flexing and stretching things out. Since a sub is doing this at a pace of tens of cycles per second it doesn't take long with a bass heavy signal material.
IMHO, companies that talk about 50 hours break-in etc. are really wanting you to keep their product long enough that you get used to them - effectively you are getting broke in, not the speaker. They also know the longer you have had the product in your home, the less likely you are to take it back to the store - it isn't logical, but that is human nature.
BTW, what does Hsu say about break-in in their owner's manual?

J

jfalek

Enthusiast
Drive it pretty hard for 5 minutes and you can consider it broke in. All you are really doing is flexing and stretching things out. Since a sub is doing this at a pace of tens of cycles per second it doesn't take long with a bass heavy signal material.
IMHO, companies that talk about 50 hours break-in etc. are really wanting you to keep their product long enough that you get used to them - effectively you are getting broke in, not the speaker. They also know the longer you have had the product in your home, the less likely you are to take it back to the store - it isn't logical, but that is human nature.
BTW, what does Hsu say about break-in in their owner's manual?
Good to know - thank you!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis