VOTE: Do Clint's Parents REALLY Have HDTV?

I submitted a post over at AVRant.com that I'd love everyone to participate in. My parents got a new HDTV and claim that they can't see much of a difference... While I asked the usual questions they assure me everything is set up correctly...

I've listed 5 options of why I think it could be messed up (or not), and a 6th option for you to add in something I missed...

I'll follow up on AVRant with a solution/answer after Xmas - let's see how many get it right.

PS. If you haven't yet posted on AVRant your first comment on the blog is moderated - after that, you can post away (keeps out the spammers).

Chime In and Place Your Bets!

majorloser

majorloser

Posted.....

(I still say Tom had something to do with the problem)

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
Don't get me started! I spent three hours on the phone last night trying to help someone set up a receiver. No luck. It was like banging my head against a wall.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Don't get me started! I spent three hours on the phone last night trying to help someone set up a receiver. No luck. It was like banging my head against a wall.
Well thank goodness you didn't have a knife, you might have started cutting yourself.;)

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
how long till we find out what the answer is?

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan

Christmas morning for me...My sister called for help with installing a video card in my nephews computer...he's 14 years old...he's got to know more about it than I do!:confused:

SBF1

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
My sister called me Christmas morning for help with her fisher price bicycle game thing. I had to walk her through mapping her TV's inputs.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I absolutely HATE trying to help people with stuff like this over the phone, whenver I try to explain something, I use terms that they don't understand, but I'm just calling things what they are... I mean what am I supposed to say, plug the cord thingy into the colored hole looking thing on the back of the box with all the lights? They never undersand what I tell them, and even if they do, they still can't seem to get it right most of the time, it's so much easier to just do it in person. Luckily for me, my folks don't live too far away, and half the time I'm over there I have to fix some settings on thier AV gear, or take a look at the computer for one thing or another. At least they have a dvr they can use, it's so much easier for them than setting a vcr to record. My parents at least have a 42" HDTV, and a DirecTV HD DVR, but of course I had to go behind the installer and reroute the cables so the dvr fed into the receiver, those people either don't know what they are doing, or most likely they aren't allowed to tamper with customers current gear in any way, which for a lot of people means that they aren't properly utilizing the equipment they have to the fullest.

majorloser

majorloser

I did say, "I’ll bet they normally watch SD native broadcast programming so they won’t see anything different."

I know my mother can't see anything different. But then she also can't understand why anybody need a TV larger than 32".

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
LOL, I did the same thing Xmas eve! A friend of mine bought a refurb Yamaha RXV 659 for his sister and her family, and took it to her house that night to set it up. The receiver they were using, an older near top of the line Onkyo 5.1 died right after Thanksgiving, and money was tight due to the hubby breaking his ankle and being off work, so they couldn't replace it. The only reason I ever got off the phone was that all THREE of my cordless handset"s batteries ran down. About 4 hours or so of frustration. About a half hour of it was caused by the batteries that came in the box for the remote were nearly dead, and sometimes the 659 responded to it, sometimes it didn't. After asking him to try a new set of batts for about 15 minutes, he did, and that solved that problem.

The auto set up didn't like the room for some reason, and set everything so it was totally unbalanced, the right speakers were about twice what the left was. After running it a few times, we ended up doing it all manually. He said it sounded pretty good, but wasn't anywhere near being optimal when the second of my phones puled out. We knew we were under the gun at that point, so the last 45 minutes were really rushed. Right at the end, we were trying to hook up the PS3, and my phone died! I was so happy to get off the phone!

The day after Xmas, I spent about an hour on the phone with him, it looks like it's all set now. It was a close second to my worst ever telephone torture session, trying to walk a friend through a motherboard replacement on his PC. He had never even really done anything except blow the dust out of a PC before, and it was a nightmare! It was during a huge snowstorm, and he wanted "to learn", so we did it. 5 hours of misery, and it turned out that the replacement was bad too! After it was over with, my jaw hurt like hell from clenching it all night. When the second replacement arrived, I just went over and told him what to do, and it worked fine.

Last edited:
Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I did say, "I’ll bet they normally watch SD native broadcast programming so they won’t see anything different."
I totally called that. Right from watching SD in full screen to not seeing a difference in resolution.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis