Virtualization Server

jinjuku

jinjuku

I know you like to tinker so despite your undivided love for MS product, do sometime check out Nutanix CE. Just find some old PC. 1x SSD and 2x hds.
Believe me - it's really good product for what it is, especially they giving it away. Unlike HyperV, you get nice central management, local storage clustering (ala VSAN, but better), vmotion between hosts etc..
I do more than tinker. My main background is Cisco and MS infrastructure. Neither of us have time to know everything about every technology. The MS hypervisor product is there and is convenient for my one off needs. If I ever matriculated to a different type of job position where I was working more and more on bulk server deployments then I certainly would get into the alternative products as I'm positive there are more robust Hypervisor solutions than what MS offers. They are playing catch up.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
BTW I do hear you on ESXI. But my customer will be doing some base level maintenance and they are going to be most comfortable with an MS interface.
Yes, I still think that I'd prefer ESXi, but I think Nutanix CE is even better - it has many of features of VMWare EVO:RAIL platform, but they done much better - aka and best part, I think I said it before - it's free.

Since you're a Cisco guy, this might be interesting for you:

I started my career in MS infrastructure, but it's no longer interest me, I mean I still do Active Directory and related stuff, but without mundane stuff like basic user management. With time I'm trying to concentrate on Virtual system (mostly VMWare) and storage.
VSAN and Nutanix are exciting to me as they represent sort of new idea - hyper-converged infrastructure.
No need for SANs. With virtual switches growing fast with new feature - it's not too long until very expansive (and expensive :) ) Cisco networking stuff might no longer be needed for most part.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I do more than tinker. My main background is Cisco and MS infrastructure. Neither of us have time to know everything about every technology.
I know that you're doing it for living, not a hobby, but imho if you're willing to build whiteboxes servers for clients - I consider that very much under "tinkering" umbrella :)
I would never consider DIY server for anything work related, but that's just me :)

p.s: Nothing wrong with your own home DIY servers :) - I've built and running it now myself.
and It doesn't even have ECC ram :)

jinjuku

jinjuku

This particular customer I have a long history with dating back to the 90's so I help them out. A $4000 server and $2000 of labor isn't in the cards for them.

Been at this for 26 years now and I'm only 43 years old. Starting to look at what I want my next 20 years to look like.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Been at this for 26 years now and I'm only 43 years old. Starting to look at what I want my next 20 years to look like.
Few years ago I've met late 50s Canon copier mechanic - somehow it became a reminder for me - I don't want to change toners (install ram, rack servers etc..) by that age.
Step one : My 40th is not far away and I can count small achievement - at my current job I don't change toners ( or do vast majority of end user support)
Step n: By that age - I'd like my job function to be mostly architecture

jinjuku

jinjuku

Few years ago I've met late 50s Canon copier mechanic - somehow it became a reminder for me - I don't want to change toners (install ram, rack servers etc..) by that age.
Step one : My 40th is not far away and I can count small achievement - at my current job I don't change toners ( or do vast majority of end user support)
Step n: By that age - I'd like my job function to be mostly architecture
Adapt or die. I'm getting more and more into the DevOps culture personally.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis