cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
By reading the linked article, I would say vinyl is still very much enjoying the growth phase. Although it will remain a niche, I think the growth is well past the "fad" stage
I agree, it's past it's fad stage and those that liked vinyl still "like" vinyl. I do know people that have well cared for vinyl that are making some money in the collectors market. http://collectorsfrenzy.com/

I was recently offered $300 for a Yardbirds album. Didn't sell it...

0aa0cd55-a1e9-4a77-b12d-fbf1bf07280d_zps70a255dd.jpg

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I agree, it's past it's fad stage and those that liked vinyl still "like" vinyl. I do know people that have well cared for vinyl that are making some money in the collectors market. http://collectorsfrenzy.com/

I was recently offered $300 for a Yardbirds album. Didn't sell it...

View attachment 12107
I think it is the archive that makes it so interesting. I played one of my favorite LPs last night, now 60 years old from before the stereo two channel era on the Decca label.

It is a wonderful performance of the very tricky Brahms piano concerto No.1 by Clifford Curzon with the Concertgebouw under a very good but now almost forgotten conductor Eduard Van Beinum.

It really is a lesson on how durable vinyl is. That disc has had many, many playings, yet there was nary a tick and zero pops.

For those collectors who have mono recordings, best results are achieved by coupling the two PU channels at the preamp and playing via one speaker. I used just my center speaker and it sounded really good. I used my vintage Decca ffss to play it. So even very old LPs are not to be discounted. I have a number of versions of this work, but this 60 year old recording is my favorite.

K

koplo

Audiophyte
I think we should announce to the traditional audiophiles,
it is time now we all should migrate to computer audiophile systems.
To replace the spinning-CD transport with terrabyte SSD.
There's already ExactAudioCopy, RubyRipper, & else, (choose JACK, no ALSA, unisntall PulseAudio),
and no ErrorCorrectionCode, and using SSD inside laptops (no spinning HDD).
And in the future, many manufacturers will create more pure digital amplification like NAD M2 (bye-bye tube, bye-bye bipolar),
and interface like Berkeley Alpha USB,
so there are no analogs at all, even at the loudspeakers' terminals.
The sound ?
Even really challenge the 100,000 vinyl+tube systems, with the cost of under 15,000 !

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
There's already ExactAudioCopy, RubyRipper, & else, (choose JACK, no ALSA, unisntall PulseAudio),
And in the future, many manufacturers will create more pure digital amplification like NAD M2 (bye-bye tube, bye-bye bipolar),
The sound ?
Even really challenge the 100,000 vinyl+tube systems, with the cost of under 15,000 !
You just don't get it and you never will.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
The sound ?
Don't even have a clue

images.jpg

Last edited:
A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
I think it is the archive that makes it so interesting. I played one of my favorite LPs last night, now 60 years old from before the stereo two channel era on the Decca label.

It is a wonderful performance of the very tricky Brahms piano concerto No.1 by Clifford Curzon with the Concertgebouw under a very good but now almost forgotten conductor Eduard Van Beinum.

It really is a lesson on how durable vinyl is. That disc has had many, many playings, yet there was nary a tick and zero pops.

For those collectors who have mono recordings, best results are achieved by coupling the two PU channels at the preamp and playing via one speaker. I used just my center speaker and it sounded really good. I used my vintage Decca ffss to play it. So even very old LPs are not to be discounted. I have a number of versions of this work, but this 60 year old recording is my favorite.
I agree Mark-the 50s and early 60s era vinyl pressings were very robust, with deeper grooves that resisted scratches and scuffs better (I believe the Blue Note early pressings are referred to as "deep groove" for that reason), and some of mine sound great even with visible surface flaws (a typical problem with jazz records from that era-the classical pressings were better cared for). My monaural Prestige and Blue Note pressings are some of the best sounding records I own (visible surface flaws and all), and the RCA Living Stereo "shaded dog" pressings from the 50s are among the best ever released in any era. I didn't find vinyl that approached that quality when I began collecting in earnest in the 80s and 90s (I got some great deals from people unloading their vinyl and replacing them with CDs) until I began collecting the audiophile reissues (Mobile Fidelity, Sweet Thunder, Direct Disk Labs, Nautilus, and a few other lesser known boutique labels), but I still like the originals the best.

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
The sound ?
Don't forget the analog link between the speakers and your ears, and between your ears and your brain-tough to digitize those interfaces unless of course you are Commander Data.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
A different kind of turntable.

Last edited by a moderator:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Jay-Z and Jack White to Release 'Open Letter' as a Playable Letter
Rapper's 'Magna Carta' outtake will debut on Third Man Records
By
Erin Coulehan

July 10, 2013 8:25 AM

After a playful Twitter Q&A session on Monday, Jay-Z revealed that his song "Open Letter" will be released on vinyl through Jack White's Third Man Records. The song, which didn't make it onto the rapper's album Magna Carta Holy Grail, will be available as a "playable letter."
100 Greatest Artists of All Time: Jay-Z
"It's in a letter. . . you can play the letter. . . it's amazing," Jay-Z told Hot 97 yesterday. "You open the letter, and you can actually play the card."

White's Third Man Records also released gold and platinum vinyl versions of The Great Gatsby soundtrack, for which Jay-Z served as executive producer.
"Jack White, you know, aside from being a brilliant musician, he has this vinyl store so he makes these special edition vinyls, and we're gonna put ['Open Letter'] on the vinyl," said Jay-Z.

Last edited by a moderator:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
<header id="post-2423454" class="post2 super_format bf_dom c"> <hgroup> 36 Things Vinyl Collectors Love

Face it, you don’t get any of this with Spotify. <time datetime="2013-07-15T13:42:37Z">posted on July 15, 2013 at 9:42am EDT</time>
</hgroup> Matthew Perpetua BuzzFeed Staff

1. That sound when the needle first hits the record.

</header>

img197.imageshack.us

2. Finding the perfect record player for your room.

3. Getting an amazing set of speakers to really complete the experience.

4. Randomly stumbling upon a sign like this and suddenly changing your plans for the next hour or two.

5. Supporting independent record stores.

Full 36 here: 36 Things Vinyl Collectors Love

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Got this last week and recommend it.:D It's on white Vinyl:

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Finally, a NA turntable assembed in Boston for under $200 which blow away anything offered by Denon or Sony usually found at Best Buy or Future Shop

U-Turn Audio

there $179.00 model

there $279.00 model

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis