O

oldphonomark

Audiophyte
I'm wondering what everyone's using now to clean their albums. Once upon a time I used Discwasher, but that seems to have gone away. Suggestions?

-Thanks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How much you want to spend? This budget one works fairly decently.... Or are you just looking for a basic dust brush? I think you can still find Discwashers if you want...lol still have mine.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Discwashers can help for dirty albums but once clean a dust brush is fine. It is not recommended to wash them often. I have a carbon fibre brush as well as a fabric brush. The carbon fibre helps to remove static if used before placing the album on the platter. There are also anti-static guns if humidity is low and static is an issue.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Depending on ones budget you can go from a Spin Clean as Lovin pointed out, to many multiples of thousands of dollars. Regardless of how much you spend Cleanliness is next to Godliness when it comes to quality LP playback.

Myself, I have two machines, a VPI 16.5 RCM and an Ultrasonic Degrittor.

Once an Lp is thoroughly cleaned and stored in an achievable record sleeve it gets a carbon fibre brushing prior to playback

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm wondering what everyone's using now to clean their albums. Once upon a time I used Discwasher, but that seems to have gone away. Suggestions?

-Thanks.
I wrote about this in a post recently. So I refer you to that.

The bottom line, is not to foul discs in the first place. Getting a disc back in good condition is expensive and arduous, and so careful dics handling is key.
Often the problem is made worse by attempting to clean a disc, as you just drive the dirt deeper in the groove.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
oldphonomark, a little follow up.......

Here's my all time favorite brush, which unfortunately is no longer available.....
IMG_0008[1].jpg

IMG_0008[1].jpg
IMG_0011[1].jpg

as for other cleaning options to glance at , there is a sticky over on audiocircle you may want to look over....

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Some compressed air (from a can) works well. Those brushes often push the debris into the groove.;)

E

endylo

Audiophyte
I'm wondering what everyone's using now to clean their albums. Once upon a time I used Discwasher, but that seems to have gone away here. Suggestions?

-Thanks.
I use a record cleaner brush - it's a more effective way to clean records than a microfiber cloth. it's effective way to remove static electricity, dust, and other particles from vinyl records. It is lightweight and will not damage the records

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Those brushes often push the debris into the groove.;)
not completely true........ here's why, the point 'TLS Guy' and myself are trying to make is that after ones initial deep and proper cleaning, followed by correct storage of the Lp, a simple 'brush dusting' with a good carbon fibre brush prior to playback will not push debris into the groove. Because there won't be any ! Plus , a properly designed brush will allow a discharge path for an static electricity.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
not completely true........ here's why, the point 'TLS Guy' and myself are trying to make is that after ones initial deep and proper cleaning, followed by correct storage of the Lp, a simple 'brush dusting' with a good carbon fibre brush prior to playback will not push debris into the groove. Because there won't be any ! Plus , a properly designed brush will allow a discharge path for an static electricity.
agreed.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I choose to use an affordable ultrasonic cleaner, and it's truly been a "game changer" for getting even some very persistent deep-in-the-groove debris cleaned out. That said, some notes about using it:
- It's a pain in the butt to bring the machine and supplies from a closet upstairs down to our kitchen.
- Have to get distilled water at the supermarket, but at least it's reasonably cheap.
- The 91% isopropyl alcohol is found at CVS/Walgreens but not the supermarket, at least here in central Massachusetts. I use 80% distilled water, 19.9% isopropyl alcohol, and a couple drops of Tergikleen.
- I don't run the maximum 8 records at a time, usually just 4. This allows better cavitation for the 18 minute cycle @ 35°C.
- To my eyes, I have never seen any sign of vinyl degradation by using the isopropyl alcohol. It's fairly dilute and limited exposure.
- The records come out clean of debris, only on a rare occasion would I run a 2nd cycle. They are free of static charge, and fingerprints are gone. Huge win.
- I put cleaned records into new "Invest in Vinyl" brand rice paper lined sleeves, yet when I go to play them I usually give them a wipe with my MoFi record brush and blow off anything remaining with canned air.

Attachments

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I gave your post a highly coveted 'Winner Award'. It's generally excellent advice. I have a long experience from my lab science days of handling biochemicals that are not very soluble in water, and using detergents to help with that. Naturally, of course, I also have a few questions ;).
I choose to use an affordable ultrasonic cleaner, and it's truly been a "game changer" for getting even some very persistent deep-in-the-groove debris cleaned out.
Excellent advice. That's why I gave you the Winner. You seem to get how to use one of these ultrasonic bath cleaners, something that many people, including some lab scientists I've known don't get.
- I don't run the maximum 8 records at a time, usually just 4. This allows better cavitation for the 18 minute cycle @ 35°C.
Good idea. You seem to understand how easy it is to overload these ultrasonic generators. Heating it to 35°C probably may help just a little. Detergents work well at room temperature too.
- To my eyes, I have never seen any sign of vinyl degradation by using the isopropyl alcohol. It's fairly dilute and limited exposure.
- The records come out clean of debris, only on a rare occasion would I run a 2nd cycle. They are free of static charge, and fingerprints are gone. Huge win.
- I put cleaned records into new "Invest in Vinyl" brand rice paper lined sleeves, yet when I go to play them I usually give them a wipe with my MoFi record brush and blow off anything remaining with canned air.
All these points are excellent. Thanks for posting this.

Now, my questions:
- Have to get distilled water at the supermarket, but at least it's reasonably cheap.
Why distilled water? Is deionized water cheaper or more available? Either will work. For what it's worth, so will cold tap water. For cleaning finger print residue off of vinyl records, plain tap water with a few drops of detergent will do the job.
- The 91% isopropyl alcohol is found at CVS/Walgreens but not the supermarket, at least here in central Massachusetts. I use 80% distilled water, 19.9% isopropyl alcohol, and a couple drops of Tergikleen.
Why use the isopropyl alcohol (aka isopropanol)? Most detergents I've known are easily dissolved in water, without the addition of any alcohol, ethanol, methanol, or isopropanol.

I looked up Turgikleen. It's a mixture of 2 different detergents. Apparently one of them needs the alcohol just to dissolve in water. Why bother? There is a long list of non-ionic detergents (no + or – charges on the molecule). I won't list them all, but Triton X-100 (TX-100) is probably the most common. They all work at cleaning finger print residue off of vinyl records.

Common liquid dish washing detergent, meant for hand washing dishes, will also do the job. Use only a very few drops in tap water.

Avoid using the more common ionic detergents (molecules with a + or – charge) such as sodium lauryl sulfate, aka sodium dodecyl sulfate. These also works, but may require extra rinsing.

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I choose to use an affordable ultrasonic cleaner, and it's truly been a "game changer" for getting even some very persistent deep-in-the-groove debris cleaned out. That said, some notes about using it:
- It's a pain in the butt to bring the machine and supplies from a closet upstairs down to our kitchen.
Way to go Ken, welcome to the ultrasonic side ! I use for the most part 100% distilled water in mine. When a 'deep clean' is required I will add a few drops of the supplied Degrittor fluid provided. Never would I recommend using tap water. Far too many variables in tap water. With my VPI 16.5 , it's L'Art du Son mixed with a gallon of reagent grade water.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Which ultrasonic unit is it?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Which ultrasonic unit is it?
Chinese-built "Vevor" brand. They are identical to many other brand names sold on Amazon for around USD $200, +/-$20. You should be able to see that in the photo I posted.

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I gave your post a highly coveted 'Winner Award'. It's generally excellent advice. I have a long experience from my lab science days of handling biochemicals that are not very soluble in water, and using detergents to help with that. Naturally, of course, I also have a few questions ;).
Excellent advice. That's why I gave you the Winner. You seem to get how to use one of these ultrasonic bath cleaners, something that many people, including some lab scientists I've known don't get.
Good idea. You seem to understand how easy it is to overload these ultrasonic generators. Heating it to 35°C probably may help just a little. Detergents work well at room temperature too.
All these points are excellent. Thanks for posting this.

Now, my questions:
Why distilled water? Is deionized water cheaper or more available? Either will work. For what it's worth, so will cold tap water. For cleaning finger print residue off of vinyl records, plain tap water with a few drops of detergent will do the job.
Why use the isopropyl alcohol (aka isopropanol)? Most detergents I've known are easily dissolved in water, without the addition of any alcohol, ethanol, methanol, or isopropanol.

I looked up Turgikleen. It's a mixture of 2 different detergents. Apparently one of them needs the alcohol just to dissolve in water. Why bother? There is a long list of non-ionic detergents (no + or – charges on the molecule). I won't list them all, but Triton X-100 (TX-100) is probably the most common. They all work at cleaning finger print residue off of vinyl records.

Common liquid dish washing detergent, meant for hand washing dishes, will also do the job. Use only a very few drops in tap water.

Avoid using the more common ionic detergents (molecules with a + or – charge) such as sodium lauryl sulfate, aka sodium dodecyl sulfate. These also works, but may require extra rinsing.
Distilled water is free of dissolved solids and it's readily available at a supermarket just 1/2 a mile from our home for USD $3.50 for 3 US Gallons. I have not seen deionized water around here.

I use Tergikleen because it's know to work well and not leave residue on the records when drying. I should have mentioned the drying cycle. This Vevor ultrasonic cleaner came with a 3-D printed rack for drying. When the cycle is done, I put them in the rack, spaced widely. Over the course of the next cycle, I give the records in the drying rack a 1/2 a turn every 5 or 6 minutes so the drop of moisture at the contact point in the V-grooves of the rack are able to dry. Halfway through the cycle I step them over to a new, dry v-groove. It all works out quite nicely.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Chinese-built "Vevor" brand. They are identical to many other brand names sold on Amazon for around USD $200, +/-$20. You should be able to see that in the photo I posted.
LOL diidn't see the photo, thanks.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Distilled water is free of dissolved solids and it's readily available at a supermarket just 1/2 a mile from our home for USD $3.50 for 3 US Gallons. I have not seen deionized water around here.
I've worked a career as a lab biochemist. I'm quite certain that distilled water isn't necessary to clean finger print residue from record groves. The ultrasonic cleaner and detergents do all the work. As long as you can find cheap distilled water easily, it isn't worth debating.

I'd also try skipping the 20% isopropyl alcohol, just to see if that works. If you have especially dirty records, it might help with rinsing out the detergent/finger print debris mix, but I'd give it a try to see what happens. Isopropyl alcohol may also be an unneeded component.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis