vintage pioneer speaker

W

whateverman

Audioholic Intern
today i found an old pioneer HPM-40 speaker in my house and its in really good condition. i have no idea how long its been here but im guessing its been well over 15 years just sitting in the crawlspace. i hooked it up to my receiver and i get no sound from it. i took it apart and checked everything and it looks perfect, i hooked it up again and i can just BARELY hear music coming from the woofer, i had to turn my receiver all the way up to hear this and i kept turning the volume up a little bit but my receiver just shuts off (automatic protection) if i go higher. would anyone know how i would go about fixing this or even knowing what is wrong with the speaker? everything looks perfect and everything inside the speaker is connected properly. thanks

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
whateverman said:
today i found an old pioneer HPM-40 speaker in my house and its in really good condition. i have no idea how long its been here but im guessing its been well over 15 years just sitting in the crawlspace. i hooked it up to my receiver and i get no sound from it. i took it apart and checked everything and it looks perfect, i hooked it up again and i can just BARELY hear music coming from the woofer, i had to turn my receiver all the way up to hear this and i kept turning the volume up a little bit but my receiver just shuts off (automatic protection) if i go higher. would anyone know how i would go about fixing this or even knowing what is wrong with the speaker? everything looks perfect and everything inside the speaker is connected properly. thanks

There may be crossover part defects, other issues with the driver, an invisible short someplace in the speakers. Do you have an ohm meter? Check the resistance on the back panel terminals.
Maybe the previous owner just moved it up there as it was not working properly?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I have old Pioneer HPM-100's and they sound great. Big, and the treble is a little bright, but good bass response (12inch woofer in each).

See if you can get it working(talk to Mtry), might be a good garage/outdoor speaker.

SheepStar

W

whateverman

Audioholic Intern
mtrycrafts said:
There may be crossover part defects, other issues with the driver, an invisible short someplace in the speakers. Do you have an ohm meter? Check the resistance on the back panel terminals.
Maybe the previous owner just moved it up there as it was not working properly?
its one of my dad's old speakers and he was the original owner, he said he had another one but doesnt know where it is. when i found it he said it was busted but i figured maybe there was just something simple to fix inside the speaker. i really dont know much about the electronics in speakers (haha and im studying to be a computer engineer), but im going to bring it back to school with me because my roomate is really into speakers and out of anyone i know, he'd be the one who could figure out what's wrong with it. thanks for your help though.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis