Video Review: SVS Ultra Series Speakers

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
I saw this on a review about the Bristol show this year and thought I'd share. Apparently SVS was showing the Ultra Bookshelves in a walnut veneer over there. Nice looking finish, hopefully we'll get to see it here in the states.
Wow, they did a great job of matching the grain of the veneer to the shape of the cabinet. The bookshelf has a bit less styling than the towers, but the character of the wood grain definitely puts them on even footing. Still, with SVS' cost consciousness, I'm not sure that will become standard, but maybe I'll be proved wrong.

A

Achilles_Punks

Audiophyte
SVS Ultra Towers vs

Just wanted to know if you have ever heard the Polk RTi A9 or LSIm 707 or Klipsch RF-7 for home theater... How would you rate the SVS Ultra Towers to those speakers? I'm sure they have more bass but I would like to know about clarity? :)

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Just wanted to know if you have ever heard the Polk RTi A9 or LSIm 707 or Klipsch RF-7 for home theater... How would you rate the SVS Ultra Towers to those speakers? I'm sure they have more bass but I would like to know about clarity? :)
I have heard Polk and Klipsch speakers, but not those specific models. Coupled with the short-term nature of acoustic memory, and the fact that wasn't using my standard compliment of test tracks to listen to them, I wouldn't want to hazard a comparison. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

A

Achilles_Punks

Audiophyte
SVS Ultra Towers vs

I have heard Polk and Klipsch speakers, but not those specific models. Coupled with the short-term nature of acoustic memory, and the fact that wasn't using my standard compliment of test tracks to listen to them, I wouldn't want to hazard a comparison. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Are there any speakers you have listened to or owned that you could compare them to? How did they sound vs the Polk and Klipsch speaker you listened to?

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Are there any speakers you have listened to or owned that you could compare them to? How did they sound vs the Polk and Klipsch speaker you listened to?
In the review, I spend quite a bit of space (relatively) comparing the SVS Ultras to my JBL Studio II. Briefly, my testing methodology was an ABAB and BABA setup for quick, comparative listening. Also, listening separately with and without Audyssey MultEQ engaged. Both were run full range and with an SVS PS12-NSD at 80hz. For critical listening, my material was a dozen or so tracks that I am very familiar with including Feist "Limit to your Love", Ani Difranco "Hypnotized", Soul Coughing "Misunderstood", Paul Simon "You can call me Al", Aphex Twin "Milk Man" and others.

I note that at lower volumes, I found I preferred the characteristic of the JBLs. They seemed to have a high-frequency edge that kept them lively and helped them sound more detailed. Non-anechoic measurement showed a bit more energy at ~5-7k which might account for this. That said, at high volumes, this same characteristic became fatiguing and at very high volumes, the JBLs would audibly distort (most noticeable in the Feist vocals in the "waterfall in slow motion" passage).

The SVS, by contrast, had a more neutral, accurate response. They did not distort even at high volumes and were never fatiguing. As I made them my primary speakers for a few weeks, I grew more accostomed to the sound and did not miss the exaggerated detail of my JBLs as much. They had much better low frequency response, though that benefit was negated with the inclusion of a sub woofer. They looked great. Overall, I preferred them to my current speakers, and they've convinced me that my next upgrade, now that I've completed my projection system, will be new speakers capable of playing louder with a more natural response.

Specific to Polk and Klipsch: I have owned low end Polk bookshelves. I have heard Klipsch in the past at a friends house. In my Best Buy days, I spent much time listening to each as they were in the same room (but could not be moved to be co-located, see "complications below"). I have heard only low to mid-range varieties of each, costing less than half the SVS, but at a 4th of the value proposition relative to their performance, build quality, and appearance. That's not to say that each company doesn't make great speakers, just that I haven't had the chance to hear them.

If I were the generalize the Polk vs. Klipch sound I've heard, it would be that Polks had a greater sense of space with a warmer response (balanced mid/highs, strong mid-low) that it maintained off axis. The Klipsch had a more pronounced high-frequency response which gave a sense of more detail, but, likely do to the horn design, did not maintain that character off-axis. Both were good speakers though not in the same league as the SVS (obviously, given the price), though I would put the SVS more in line with the warmer (balanced mid/high, very strong low end), perhaps more accurate Polks rather than the Klipsch.

Now, the complications of comparisons in a nutshell: Acoustic memory is short. The Room/positioning can have a huge effect so the same set of speakers can sound very different when placed in different spaces; I was just in a space where moving a pair of speakers 12 inches yielded a much greater sense of immersion. Humidity, allergies, associated equipment...all can have a noticeable effect and when differences, even in direct comparison, can be slim to the point of going unnoticed, in-direct comparisons are very difficult.

Critical listeners can mitigate these differences by using familiar material: I always listen critically with material that I have heard in many rooms and on many systems. I listen for balance of elements, purity of tone, and a sense of spaciousness, among other things. I Listen to speakers from different positions and in different spaces if possible. Listen on different days. Essentially, this becomes a method of non-scientific summing, gathering as much experience as possible to attempt an overall impression. It is an imprecise science, and ultimately necessary for most buyers. In the end, we want a speaker that sounds great and is a great value, and we won't be doing side by sides. We'll just be sitting back enjoying ourselves and should notice the speakers unless something goes wrong. With the SVS, no matter what material I played or at what volumes, nothing ever went wrong.

A

Achilles_Punks

Audiophyte
Very nice reply thanks for all the information!!! I have owned many speakers from Infinity, JBL, Klipsch RF-7 2, Polk R50, Polk Monitor 70, Polk RTi 12, Polk RTi A9s. I have also owned many subwoofers from Audiosource, Polk, Paradigm Sub 15, and have bought 3 SVS PB13-Ultra's. I only have two in gloss black now... Had one in Cherry but was unable to purchase another one after they stopped making that color. I'm really just trying to build a really nice home theater that will stop me from wanting to spend money on more speakers, amp, subs, and receivers.... I told my wife last time I bought speakers I was done for a while. To top it off I had just bought a new Onkyo TX-NR3010 receiver and sold it 3 weeks later to buy the top of the line Onkyo TX-NR5010. I never was an Onkyo person until this year. I always liked Denon.

Really this time I have only been looking at the SVS Ultra Towers, and Sonus Faber Venere 3.0. I have read your review and looked at all the pictures online, and I think I'm just going to buy the Ultra towers... I just wanted to make sure the sound was really clear on them, and had a lot of clarity... Thanks for you help.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Your welcome, but more bad news...:)

For the vast majority of folks, there's never an end to the desire for more/better/different equipment...probably one of the reasons why hocus-pocus companies that sell "acoustic treatments" like resonators and magnets, and exotic cables exist. As you know, SVS subs are over-the-top value, and I think their speakers have a lot of qualities that carry that tradition forward.

As someone in the market, I wish it were easy for some just to tell us what speakers to buy, but it's a very personal choice dictated in some way, maybe great or small depending on the person, by actual, measurable performance. Ultimately, everyone needs to decide for themselves, but the SVSs are still in consideration for me, and they should probably be in consideration for you as well.

At the end of the day, just be sure to enjoy the system that you have, whatever it may be.

Very nice reply thanks for all the information!!! I have owned many speakers from Infinity, JBL, Klipsch RF-7 2, Polk R50, Polk Monitor 70, Polk RTi 12, Polk RTi A9s. I have also owned many subwoofers from Audiosource, Polk, Paradigm Sub 15, and have bought 3 SVS PB13-Ultra's. I only have two in gloss black now... Had one in Cherry but was unable to purchase another one after they stopped making that color. I'm really just trying to build a really nice home theater that will stop me from wanting to spend money on more speakers, amp, subs, and receivers.... I told my wife last time I bought speakers I was done for a while. To top it off I had just bought a new Onkyo TX-NR3010 receiver and sold it 3 weeks later to buy the top of the line Onkyo TX-NR5010. I never was an Onkyo person until this year. I always liked Denon.

Really this time I have only been looking at the SVS Ultra Towers, and Sonus Faber Venere 3.0. I have read your review and looked at all the pictures online, and I think I'm just going to buy the Ultra towers... I just wanted to make sure the sound was really clear on them, and had a lot of clarity... Thanks for you help.

2ndammendment

Junior Audioholic
My Ultras are easily the best speaker I've heard for 2k. It says something when you can go and spend a day listening to the likes of a B&W 802D and 803D, then being able to go home and still be perfectly happy and impressed with your current speakers. The tweeter is smooth, the midrange is well-rounded and has a bit of warmth and they dig deep! They are truly full range when it comes to music.

Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
I know this is resurrecting a quite old thread, but was interested in the statement from the review where the preference was for the Ultra Bookshelf over the Ultra Center while in use as a center channel...

I have the Ultra towers (no center at the moment) and was wondering if anyone else might have ay experience with this??

Asked the question to SVS, and they point out the the off axis frequently lobbing that the midrange helps combat, and the most obvious issue that the center has a higher output threshold over the bookshelf with more drivers...

Any input would be appreciated.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Hi Chopin_Guy,

I wrote the original review, and this is a little more about my perspective.

I personally want the best timbre matching across my front channel I can get, and that is always going to be accomplished by using 3 identical speakers. I did not find the bookshelf unit performance compromised compared to the center model, and it's less expensive to boot, so if you have a setup that allows for a 15" tall center speaker, I would contact SVS to arrange for a set of 3 bookshelf speakers.

Now, as you already have the tower speakers, odds are you don't have an acoustically transparent screen to utilize a 3rd for your center channel. The center-model is rated for higher output (based on higher power rating) so if you run your system loud, by all means, grab the center model. For a better timbre match, however, I still think the bookshelf model would be a better match given identical driver components and crossover point, and based on my listening.

That said, these are great speakers with all models designed to handle as much power as you're likely to use in a residential room and I'm really splitting hairs with the timbre matching. Keep in mind that, whichever direction you go, SVS has great support and a very liberal return policy. You can't really go wrong, as you've no doubt learn from your tower speaker purchase. My opinion, for what it's worth. Enjoy your system.

I know this is resurrecting a quite old thread, but was interested in the statement from the review where the preference was for the Ultra Bookshelf over the Ultra Center while in use as a center channel...

I have the Ultra towers (no center at the moment) and was wondering if anyone else might have ay experience with this??

Asked the question to SVS, and they point out the the off axis frequently lobbing that the midrange helps combat, and the most obvious issue that the center has a higher output threshold over the bookshelf with more drivers...

Any input would be appreciated.

theboogeydown

theboogeydown

Enthusiast
Hi Chopin_Guy,

I wrote the original review, and this is a little more about my perspective.

I personally want the best timbre matching across my front channel I can get, and that is always going to be accomplished by using 3 identical speakers. I did not find the bookshelf unit performance compromised compared to the center model, and it's less expensive to boot, so if you have a setup that allows for a 15" tall center speaker, I would contact SVS to arrange for a set of 3 bookshelf speakers.

Now, as you already have the tower speakers, odds are you don't have an acoustically transparent screen to utilize a 3rd for your center channel. The center-model is rated for higher output (based on higher power rating) so if you run your system loud, by all means, grab the center model. For a better timbre match, however, I still think the bookshelf model would be a better match given identical driver components and crossover point, and based on my listening.

That said, these are great speakers with all models designed to handle as much power as you're likely to use in a residential room and I'm really splitting hairs with the timbre matching. Keep in mind that, whichever direction you go, SVS has great support and a very liberal return policy. You can't really go wrong, as you've no doubt learn from your tower speaker purchase. My opinion, for what it's worth. Enjoy your system.
Hi Marshall,
Such great work as always. I've recently returned the Fluance Signatures, have you heard them? I didn't care for them as stated in a few other of my posts, but I was wondering if the Ultras had similar low end? I did think the Signatures were pretty incredible in that regard. Currently auditioning Tekton's Enzo XL's, they are HUGE, a bit too overbearing for my house. Two channel only in this set-up. Thanks

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Hi Marshall,
Such great work as always. I've recently returned the Fluance Signatures, have you heard them? I didn't care for them as stated in a few other of my posts, but I was wondering if the Ultras had similar low end? I did think the Signatures were pretty incredible in that regard. Currently auditioning Tekton's Enzo XL's, they are HUGE, a bit too overbearing for my house. Two channel only in this set-up. Thanks
Thanks. I haven't heard the Fluance, but I think Gene has. I know I don't see every message that comes through the forums (this one was actually in my email junk folder), so you might want to PM Gene for his take on the Fluance. That said, if you're referring the to SVS Ultra Towers, yes, great low frequency response is one of their main characteristics.

Make sure you let us know what you think of the Tekton, and let me know if you have any other questions about the SVS Ultra. It's been a while since they've been in my house, but I remember them fondly. Great sounding and looking speaker.

Fugazi

Fugazi

Enthusiast
Hi everyone, I don't know if anyone is still here, but I pulled the trigger and am replacing my 30 year old speakers. I have a 2.1 system so I ordered the ultra towers and a Sb13 ultra. Looking forward to sharing my thoughts and hearing from the forum. Oh, I have a parasound p3 pre-amp, parasound A21, carver zr-1000 both are 250 watts/ channel. An oppo bro 95 blue ray and mmf 9 turntable. Other assorted line level sources also present.

O

Onemoregene

Audiophyte
Marshall thank you for a great review. I am close to making my decision on the Ultra series but I would like to get your opinion first. I enjoy a wide range of music and want a dedicated 2 or 2.1 or 2.2 speaker system and my room is 12x12x8. My choice of SVS ultra would be spend $2k on the Ulta towers no sub or purchase for about about the same $2k a pair of the Ultra book shelfs with a pair of Sb 1000 subs. I know the sb 1000 go a little deeper in frequency but beyond that I would value your insight.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall thank you for a great review. I am close to making my decision on the Ultra series but I would like to get your opinion first. I enjoy a wide range of music and want a dedicated 2 or 2.1 or 2.2 speaker system and my room is 12x12x8. My choice of SVS ultra would be spend $2k on the Ulta towers no sub or purchase for about about the same $2k a pair of the Ultra book shelfs with a pair of Sb 1000 subs. I know the sb 1000 go a little deeper in frequency but beyond that I would value your insight.
FYI to anyone reading, best to PM me or email me directly, I don't often cruise the forum. Just happened to be subscribed to this one or I would have missed it completely.

On to the question: I'm completely biased toward capable monitors (bookshelf speakers) plus subs. A dedicated sub will outperform even the largest of towers or similar quality in dynamics, extension, and ease of placement. No, power handling in the upper frequency range, especially midbass, is going to depend on the quality of your speaker, but a well designed monitor like the Ultra Bookshelf would be a great choice and potentially save you some floor space. Like I said in the review, the SVS Ultra Bookshelf might be the only speaker you need.

BTW, feel free to reach out to SVS directly. They have a great team of people to help you make the decision as well.

For the record: I get the 2.0 crowd. I like the simplicity of 2.0, and the Ultra towers are certainly no slouch. Heck, 2.0 is even great in compact systems. I'd rock a nice set of KEF LS50 with something like an Emotiva TA-100 any day.

J

Jimmyjim123

Audiophyte
Which is better in your opinion, two towers and a sub? Or two bookshelves and a sub? Svs ultra, of course for both. I think the towers looks better, but in the review, I maybe understood him to say the bookshelves sound better. I hate to spend money on some stupid stands. But if sonically it sounds better with the bookshelves and a sub, I might have to force myself.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Which is better in your opinion, two towers and a sub? Or two bookshelves and a sub? Svs ultra, of course for both. I think the towers looks better, but in the review, I maybe understood him to say the bookshelves sound better. I hate to spend money on some stupid stands. But if sonically it sounds better with the bookshelves and a sub, I might have to force myself.
The bookshelves do not sound better overall; they sound similar at half the price in all but the lowest frequencies (my opinion). I found the sonic signature between the towers and the bookshelves is similar enough above a standard 80Hz crossover that the performance difference between the towers and subs with a subwoofer or two is negligible.

Advantages to towers is better bass handling without a sub, no stands needed, theoretically higher possible output without damage and midrange distortion (this would be hearing-damage levels in most homes) and they look bad-ass (subjective of course). If you're not listening without a sub or at extremely high volumes, the question is would you rather have $1000 and have to get stands, or not have to get stands? If I were doing it, I'd rather have the $1000 to spend on a 2nd sub or keep in the bank, but I'm also tighter with my money and satisfied with my covered cinderblocks for speakers stands. Your answer might be different.

If it weren't an issue of money, that is, you were going to give me either the towers or the bookshelves, I'd kiss you on the mouth, take the towers, and run (very slowly, remember, I'm carrying 150 lbs of speakers).

J

Jimmyjim123

Audiophyte
Thanks alot for the info. Hey, Bring me back my speakers! ;) But yes, I think I will purchase the towers and then and maybe a sb2000, later down the line if I am not satisfied. ( although everyone is saying you need 2 subs now-a-days) I also actually prefer not to have anything else but the towers for a few reasons... 1) visually they look better, usually any towers compared to their bookshelves and stands are just more pleasing to the eye. 2) I actually don't want a sub in the way taking up real estate (and anyway I would need two subs not just one, not because of acoustic reasons like people say, but because I like to see everything symmetric) 3) I don't want to spend more money on subs and wires.:p

J

Jimmyjim123

Audiophyte
I actually had the b&w 805 d3's, 6 grand for the speakers and 1 grand for the stands! Grand total: 7 grand!!! While being beautiful speakers that are great sounding with nice stands, I started to feel that they were too bright and I really couldn't afford them anyway. Funny thing was I almost upgraded to the b&w 804 d3's (because they are floorstanders and have more base) but I got hurt and I can't work and REALLY couldn't afford them. Lol! So I think I am going to go much cheaper and with all the great reviews I heard about the SVS Ultras figured I'd be satisfied. This after I go back to work of course.

Fugazi

Fugazi

Enthusiast
I have had my SVS Ultra towers for over 6 months now. I initially purchased them with one sb13 ultra sub, but upgraded that to two SB13 subs after a short audition period. Probably overkill but I wanted two subs from the get go. I have to say, I am still really excited to listen to these speakers! To me, they sound so good that sometimes its scary. I highly recommend these speakers to anyone. Just go for it!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis