Video output to Flat Panel LCD?

S

shadow300z

Audiophyte
Hey all,

I just got a 2005FPW(Dell) widescreen lcd monitor for my computer, and an HK 245 receiver. Since the dell has an SVideo and Component inputs, I was going to make one nice big system.

However, whenever I use either a PS2 or N64(only two I've tried) in any of the Video positions(DVD, vid 1-4) it will not output via SVideo to the monitor, but it will output via component(I believe, yellow vid plug) to my TV.

How do I go about getting the original component(again, think that's right term) signal to be output via the monitor on SVideo.

And I know the svideo cable works, since the receiver will display it's setup menu on both my tv and monitor at the same time as well as other info, but when I turn on one of these sources the monitor drops signal and tv is the only one on.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
help me out a little more

Can you describe exactly how you have everything hooked up? It sounds like you have video going to the receiver and then to the TV and your LCD monitor. It sounds to me like you are trying to input with one type of signal and then trying to output with another, but I could be wrong. We need to get your terminology correct 1st, however. A single yellow cable will be a composite cable, not component. A component cable consists of 3 separate cables (normally red, green, blue colored).

If you have the video going to your receiver, try connecting directly to your TV and monitor. Does that work?

Does your receiver upconvert video from composite to S-video? If not that could be your problem, but I'm not sure how you are connecting things. If you have a composite cable going in, you may need a composite cable going out.

Please give a more detailed explanation of how you have everything hooked up.

S

shadow300z

Audiophyte
alandamp said:
Can you describe exactly how you have everything hooked up? It sounds like you have video going to the receiver and then to the TV and your LCD monitor. It sounds to me like you are trying to input with one type of signal and then trying to output with another, but I could be wrong. We need to get your terminology correct 1st, however. A single yellow cable will be a composite cable, not component. A component cable consists of 3 separate cables (normally red, green, blue colored).

If you have the video going to your receiver, try connecting directly to your TV and monitor. Does that work?

Does your receiver upconvert video from composite to S-video? If not that could be your problem, but I'm not sure how you are connecting things. If you have a composite cable going in, you may need a composite cable going out.

Please give a more detailed explanation of how you have everything hooked up.

Sorry about the terminology, component is what I am using then for PS2. It is hooked into the Receiver.

PS2(component) -> Receiver -->(component TV) and(S-Vid Monitor)

I need it to make the component signal from the PS2 display through the SVideo output on the monitor. I'm not sure if it will not convert the signals, but that is what I am asking.

I know the monitor receives svideo signals when the PS2 is not in use since the receiver outputs its menu to it and the TV, so each(monitor and TV) is working properly.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Usually it will not downconvert, upconvert yas but not down....

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
How come you can't do component x 3? All ins and outs (why downconvert to s-video lower quality)

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
Ya, what Brian said

Ya, you're outta luck trying to do it your way. You can just take the component cable out of the equation from the PS2 to the receiver. Hook up the PS2 to the receiver with an S-video cable and then you will get the output via S-video.

S

shadow300z

Audiophyte
Because I want to display images through my LCD monitor and the only cables I have are S-Vid. I might just have to go get a component cable and hook that up but I was hoping it would convert.

Why would going from lower(component) to higher(Svideo) harm the signal, I would assume it would be lower quality for S-video standards but equal to component.

Thanks for the help guys, very much appreciated!

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
Component video is a better connection than S-video.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
shadow300z said:
Because I want to display images through my LCD monitor and the only cables I have are S-Vid. I might just have to go get a component cable and hook that up but I was hoping it would convert.

Why would going from lower(component) to higher(Svideo) harm the signal, I would assume it would be lower quality for S-video standards but equal to component.
Just the opposite here are your best connections 1 being the best

1 HDMI
2 DVI
3 Component (RGB)
4 S-Video
5 Composite Video (single yellow-try to avoid this, its the worst signal transfer)

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
brian32672 said:
How come you can't do component x 3? All ins and outs (why downconvert to s-video lower quality)
I don't believe that monitor has a component input. Looks like DVI, VGA, S-video, composite. Best he's gonna do is S-video.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
alandamp said:
I don't believe that monitor has a component input. Looks like DVI, VGA, S-video, composite. Best he's gonna do is S-video.
Well here is what I saw.

Sorry about the terminology, component is what I am using then for PS2. It is hooked into the Receiver.
PS2(component) -> Receiver -->(component TV) and(S-Vid Monitor)
So it looks like this
PS2 out (rgb) to receiver in (RGb)
Receiver out S-video to monitor. (the Monitor surely would accept (RGB)

brian32672

brian32672

Banned

Attachments

Last edited:
brian32672

brian32672

Banned
alandamp said:
Don't leave, we need you. :)
Just as Mule would say, I'm just the janitor who knows nothing.
I actually thought you were serious.
Yeah a breakout cable should work just fine. Granted I have the cable for my projector. RGB from DVD player to Dsub15=VGA to PJ. Or at least that was one way I hooked it up. Now I have a home dvd player that has all outs including vga, so for that I just run straight vga from Home DVD player to LCD monitor.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis