Video/Audio not Synchronized?

C

cbags05

Audioholic Intern
Anybody else have this issue? Every channel is different (DirecTV w/DVR, Samsung DLP). Sometimes sound comes before the video, sometimes the sound lags behind. I've been considering getting a new receiver, and if I do are there any that have the ability to synchronize the two?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Anybody else have this issue? Every channel is different (DirecTV w/DVR, Samsung DLP). Sometimes sound comes before the video, sometimes the sound lags behind. I've been considering getting a new receiver, and if I do are there any that have the ability to synchronize the two?
Do you have this issue with audio going direct to TV or only when it goes through the receiver and is processed?

C

cbags05

Audioholic Intern
Do you have this issue with audio going direct to TV or only when it goes through the receiver and is processed?
Both.

I had the problem in a completely different location with Insight Broadband. Thought it would go away when I moved and got DirecTV. It didn't.

I'm really surprised I don't hear about this very often. It's so inconsistent with which one is lagging (like I said it depends on the channel) which makes me think it's just variation in broadcasting.

If I run the sound through both the TV and the receiver there's a huge echo too, which isn't surprising. But I wouldn't expect it to be as bad as it is.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
ya, don't run tv sound and HT audio at same time.

For sync issues, yes, all the different broadcasts and dvd's can be synced up differently. Nothing you can do. You can try a calibration disc, and set up the sync, but you will still have issues, as it varies from one program to another. I know it can drive you nuts if you are looking for it; just get used to it, nothing else to do. gl.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
There are a few semi-solutions to the problem. Many recievers now include a 'lip-sync' control that allows you to set a delay for the audio when the video lags the audio (due to all the processing of the video signal). I don't know of any solution for dealing with the opposite case where the audio lags the video.

The newer HDMI-CEC protocol adds timestamps to help the receiver sync the audio with the video...but in general it is still a crapshoot.

C

chinny4290

Enthusiast
If you have a Sony receiver, there's a setting they call "AV Sync" and that usually delays the audio from all channels for when TV images are lagging behind the video.

Most budget receivers don't carry this option. Look through your user manual and you should be able to find a similar setting.

C

cbags05

Audioholic Intern
nope no sony. i have an old technics....i doubt it has anything, but I can check.

ya i was just experimenting with audio from both TV and receiver...don't worry I'm not dumb.;)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

nope no sony. i have an old technics....i doubt it has anything, but I can check.

ya i was just experimenting with audio from both TV and receiver...don't worry I'm not dumb.;)
If it happens with only some of the channels, and it is consistent, perhaps the cable company has issues as they have a lot of control and equipment in line before you get it. I had a left channel in one of the stations go red line on me and right ch was almost not there.
I had a hell of a time convincing the cable company and two trips out by their guys and some time. They finally admitted an equipment issue in line someplace.
Also, if you correct the sync in yoru component, that will affect all channels equally. then, the channels that have no issues will have it caused by your component delays.

Your sync problem that is strictly from your DVD, that you can control by the DVD player or receiver.

C

cbags05

Audioholic Intern
After doing some research I have found on some other forums that this is a very common and real problem. Due to there being no agreed upon standards in acceptable A/V offsets, each broadcaster does things differently, each receiver introduces a different delay, and the list goes on....some TV's are designed to lag the sound and correct the issue, some aren't.

I found this: http://www.felston.com/dd540/

Might get it and play with it...but like you said...after I fine tune one channel, another one is going to be different.

And that's fine, but when I sit down to watch prison break, i don't like to hear what's going on before it happens :)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

After doing some research I have found on some other forums that this is a very common and real problem. Due to there being no agreed upon standards in acceptable A/V offsets, each broadcaster does things differently, each receiver introduces a different delay, and the list goes on....some TV's are designed to lag the sound and correct the issue, some aren't.

Might get it and play with it...but like you said...after I fine tune one channel, another one is going to be different.

And that's fine, but when I sit down to watch prison break, i don't like to hear what's going on before it happens :)

Boy, that is an expensive solution. You may want to talk with the Tv provider and see what their capability is. Try to force them to deal with it. Unless, they can show that it is your equipment at fault.
Have you tried another TV to see if it has the same issues?

C

cbags05

Audioholic Intern
i found another one that is $1000.

I'll give DirecTV a call, but I guarrantee all they are going to say is that my equipment is causing the delay, which is true. Video takes longer to process than sound. Put the signal through a receiver or processor then TV, by the time it hits the screen, the sound has been processed and out the speakers several milliseconds prior. It makes sense to me anyway.

What doesn't make sense to me is that the delay is different on certain channels, and that is what they should be able to help with. Seems to me that each channel should be broadcast the same, and the delay should be equal on all channels.

I have one DLP HDTV, and one little tube TV. The tube TV has no issues I assume because it's all analog...no digital processing time involved.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I mentioned audio lip sync in a prior reply. It will not solve the problem where the audio lags the video nor will it solve the problem where each channel is different. It will help with the problem where the video lags the audio due to the extensive processing that the video undergoes.

With a budget of $1200 you should be able to easily find a receiver that offers lip-sync delay features. The Onkyo 674 or 605 does and will be less than half that amount.

C

cbags05

Audioholic Intern
Indeed you did...I must have missed your point because you seemed to give an opinion that it can't really be fixed by saying its a crapshoot....my fault.

I'm not concerned about having to readjust the sync for every channel...in fact that sync that I posted has presets, so I could use those for my most watched channels.

On a different note, when a receiver spec says "auto lip-sync", what is meant by "auto"? I have a hard tome believing that an automatic lip-sync would work, because it takes a set of eyes....right?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
On a different note, when a receiver spec says "auto lip-sync", what is meant by "auto"? I have a hard tome believing that an automatic lip-sync would work, because it takes a set of eyes....right?
I'd guess that's referring to the new HDMI-CEC feature. The audio and video are timestamped so the receiver can automatically figure out how to best sync the two...or so the theory goes.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Interesting experience this morning

While watching the news channels, I discovered that Fox News has a gross lip sync issue over regular cable, analog and old CRT tv while the other news channels were just fine. No signal processing involved, no cable box, yet, one channel had this issue. Now, it seems to be fixed.
So, it is an interesting issue.

C

cbags05

Audioholic Intern
So, it is an interesting issue.
You summed it up pretty well right there.

I've noticed an improvement in several chennels for no apparent reason the last couple days. Some channels have the video ahead of the audio, which is not a good situation, because there is no way to delay video...yet...I don't know how that is even possible. My TV must be delaying the audio automatically, and in some cases overcompensating.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis