Very interesting reading

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
An amateur speaker builder named Peter Smith (Pjay is his moniker) has a great feature on his website. Follow the link for "The Gurus Speak".

His introduction says:

Could a simple speaker hobbyist somehow get a number of gurus to answer basic questions that would give some insight into the Audiophile mind? Looks like it might work as I have about 20 people so far. I think this is one of the best reads around right now. Hope you enjoy it.

I am not talking about a tips page, but something more on the philosophy side. Kind of a like having trapped someone at a party with five minutes to pump them for the secret answer to life. The TV show "Actor's Studio" does this and it is tre' cool. But they note the questions took 10 years to develop. I hope mine are decent for a start.

I really hope this works, the goal is to see how these masters think and how they approach their work. If you answer the questions and mail them to me, I will most likely post them. I really want to keep it to people who have a lot of experience but I am not going to start deciding who is a guru and who is not. So if I don't know you, give me your URL or a short bio or something.
So far, 14 speaker builders/designers, including Siegfried Linkwitz and Vance Dickason, have responded. If nothing else, this is a useful guide to some of the amateur builders/designers who regularly post at the Madisound board. I found Bob Cardell's answers about how various SS amplifiers may or may not sound different was excellent. I also was entertained by the differences in philosophy between the speaker builders and the audio writers. I have enjoyed reading most of these. I hope some of you do too.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis