Verizon Smartphone Users - Last Day to Retain Unlimited Data Plan

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Just a reminder that June 27th is the last chance for Verizon customers to upgrade their smartphone with a subsidy and still keep their grandfathered unlimited data plan. Verizon no longer offers unlimited data plans and after tomorrow you have the choice of giving up your grandfathered in unlimited data or paying full ($500-650) price for a new phone when you renew your contract.

I ordered a Samsung Galaxy S3 with 32GB of storage and as soon as it gets here I'll be adding a 64GB class 10 memory card and I'll be loading about 30GB of songs and another few GB of audiobooks onto that card.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks! Do you know if the unlimited plans stay if the phone can do 4G?

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks! Do you know if the unlimited plans stay if the phone can do 4G?
Yes as long as you get in by tomorrow. The S3 that I ordered (due here mid July) is a 4G phone and they renewed me with my unlimited data plan intact. I knew I'd probably space out tomorrow and called them today. I don't think you can do it online.

http://www.phonenews.com/verizon-may-ban-unlimited-data-plan-transfers-thursday-20615/
http://greatstuffthatworks.com/1829/verizonwireless-unlimited-data-almost-gone-on-june-28/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/18/verizon-unlimited-data_n_1525931.html
http://www.usatoday.com/video/verizon-to-end-unlimited-data-plans/1644581875001

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Yes as long as you get in by tomorrow. The S3 that I ordered (due here mid July) is a 4G phone and they renewed me with my unlimited data plan intact.
Awesome. I saw the S3 online and thought it looked nice. Did you compare it against the Razr Maxx?

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Awesome. I saw the S3 online and thought it looked nice. Did you compare it against the Razr Maxx?
The Verizon S3 doesn't start shipping until next month but a better comparison would be the upcoming next generation RAZR HD (aka "Fighter"). According rumors the "Fighter" will be a RAZR Maxx with a bit larger 720 screen. Both the S3 and the "Fighter" should have similar dual-core (1.5ghz?) processors but the Fighter will probably have the Maxx's huge 3300mah fixed battery while the S3 has a swappable 2.1mah battery. I like replaceable batteries. S3 vs Maxx is display (720 vs 480) vs battery life - I didn't like the Maxx's display. The Maxx has a HDMI port the S3 does not. For most people S3 vs Fighter will probably be battery preference and looks preference. The S3 is plastic but the carbon fiber fighter won't be out in time. The biggest unknowns are call quality and signal strength - I've only owned Motorola phones and have never used a Samsung phone in my life. FWIW you may be able to see a S3 at AT&T, Sprint, or T-Mobile now. At least they should have them.

One of the things that sold me is the 32GB ($249) S3 can officially accept 64GB microSD cards. That gives me 96GB of storage on a phone! To be fair the Motorola Droids are rumored to accept 64GB cards but I don't know if that requires replacing an existing card. My "16GB" Droid X had only had 8GB on board plus a cheap 8GB card that I immediately replaced with a 32GB card.

Verizon is taking preorders for the S3 to let you lock in the data plan but the phone won't ship until at least the 11th. Mine will be a pebble blue 32GB.

S3 Review
S3 vs Razr HD

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm currently struggling with Verizon's "we'll give you a $30 discount to upgrade...but then charge you a $30 upgrade fee" policy. So, I think that just means that I'm paying what any new customer would pay.

Matt34

Matt34

I'm leaning towards contract-free phones from now on. Just don't like the way the big cell phone companies handle business.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I'm currently struggling with Verizon's "we'll give you a $30 discount to upgrade...but then charge you a $30 upgrade fee" policy. So, I think that just means that I'm paying what any new customer would pay.
I ran into that to. I think new customers pay a $30ish "establishment fee" to start their service as well so you're probably still getting $30 off but I agree the upgrade fee sucks. That's what happens after an industry consolidation.

I'm leaning towards contract-free phones from now on. Just don't like the way the big cell phone companies handle business.
I may do that or go to Sprint in two years but for now I want to hang onto my unlimited data plan and Verizon's coverage area. I'm in such a marginal coverage area that footprint counts. Plus 4G is supposedly coming to our little out in the middle of nowhere town really soon.

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I just ordered a 32GB Galaxy S3 in white so that I can hold onto my unlimited data plan. My preciooouuuss. Good thing, to. I've already used 190MB in the past three weeks. :rolleyes:

A nice online chat rep double checked to make sure that I didn't screw something up with my order. It didn't give me the option to charge it to my bill, which seemed off to me.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I just ordered a 32GB Galaxy S3 in white so that I can hold onto my unlimited data plan. My preciooouuuss. Good thing, to. I've already used 190MB in the past three weeks. :rolleyes:

A nice online chat rep double checked to make sure that I didn't screw something up with my order. It didn't give me the option to charge it to my bill, which seemed off to me.
They explained to me that they could only charge mine to my bill if it was something they could ship right out and that since the charge would be delayed until it ships sometime next month that it had to go on plastic.

I've ordered the Amzer Piano Dock so I can plug some speakers in and listen to audiobooks. I chose it over the Samsung dock because supposedly the Amzer dock accepts phones with thin enough cases. I always hated the fact that I had to remove the case to use my Droid X dock.

I'm still torn between pocket carry in a Samsung Flip Cover ($30-40 depending on the dealer) or belt carry with an Aduro Shell Holster Combo Case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm a big fan of belt carry, but I want to get something thinner and more sleek than that Aduro. I figure that we have a couple of weeks before our phones even ship, so more stuff might come out.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I'm a big fan of belt carry, but I want to get something thinner and more sleek than that Aduro. I figure that we have a couple of weeks before our phones even ship, so more stuff might come out.
I usually pocket carry because I buy pants with a cell phone pocket but this phone seems a bit big for that. I just want something that covers and protects the the screen since I'm skipping the plastic screen protectors that I usually use. I'm thinking that I don't need them with Gorilla Glass. I'll keep my eyes peeled for other options.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja

Maybe this will make you feel better about hanging onto unlimited data.

Smartphone users should expect to buy a minimum data bucket of 4 GB if they use LTE video streaming, according to a Verizon Wireless (NYSE:VZ) blog post that was published the day before the operator's new shared data plans kicked in.

"Watching video on your smartphone or tablet is where data consumption grows," wrote Brian Malina, Verizon Wireless' national manager for digital and social media.

"If 4G LTE video streaming is a regular part of your smartphone use, you will need more data, likely 4 GB, maybe more," he said.

Also Android Central is reporting that Verizon is already shipping the preorders for the S3. :D

Looks like some bank accounts are a few hundred bucks lighter tonight, as preorders of the Verizon Galaxy S III have begun shipping. We're seeing arrival dates as early as Thursday, which should be a perfect way to cap off the holiday here in the States.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
We switched to the family share plan over the weekend because the G/F's phone died and we upgraded her to a smartphone. $20 less and everything is the same except the 6GB limit. We mostly use WiFi for data intense things, so I don't think it will be an issue. If it is, they said it was $10 more for 10GB.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I am waiting for my preordered SIII too. I ordered mine on 6/20 and so far no change in the ship date. Still says 7/10. Quite a few people have already seen their phones ship.

I'm coming from Sprint where I have unlimited data but what's the point of unlimited when I average 0.02 Mbps? :rolleyes:

In anticipation I flashed a custom ICS ROM on my Evo 4G that actually has the TouchWiz interface from the SIII along with many of the Samsung apps and even S-Voice.

Maybe I'm a bit impatient? :D

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
No updates on mine, nothing showing but the order number, but then I was late in preordering. With my luck mine will be the last one out the door before the 11th.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I usually pocket carry because I buy pants with a cell phone pocket but this phone seems a bit big for that. I just want something that covers and protects the the screen since I'm skipping the plastic screen protectors that I usually use. I'm thinking that I don't need them with Gorilla Glass. I'll keep my eyes peeled for other options.
I have an SGS2 on sprint so it's pretty big. It will fit in a normal pocket with no problem, but you probably wouldn't want anything else in there with it. It is sometimes awkward pulling the phone out, especially if you're sitting down. It'd probably be easier without a case, but I don't wanna break it :D I still use a screen protector on mine as well, even with the gorilla glass.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I think that I might get one of these Seidio belt holsters. I have one for my Droid X, and it works well. I bought their case/holster combo for the Droid, but I think that I'm going to try the "naked" phone to start with this time around.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis