PitBull

PitBull

Enthusiast
I've been trying to do some research on some very affordable subs and came across the Velodyne VX-10 online. Nobody near me sells these so I was just curious if anyone knows anything about it. How would you compare it to some of the other under $250 subs since I can get it for about $175 delivered?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
PitBull said:
I've been trying to do some research on some very affordable subs and came across the Velodyne VX-10 online. Nobody near me sells these so I was just curious if anyone knows anything about it. How would you compare it to some of the other under $250 subs since I can get it for about $175 delivered?
I'd save up a bit more and get an BIC H100 or Cadence Xsub12.

SheepStar

PitBull

PitBull

Enthusiast
I've thought about the BIC H100 as well but was more just curious as to how the Velodyne is? Does it compare at all to the BIC? If I only had $175, would that be the way to go?

A

audiohead01

Enthusiast
velodyne has been the leader in subs for many years, they now have an in-wall. I am not sure I would stry too far from velodyne...

A

AVKommonsense

Enthusiast
I currently own the Velodyne VX-10, and I've been using it in my setup for approx. 2 years. I've been very pleased with its performance relative to music as well as movies. Granted I know its specs are not off the charts... But if you want a entry level above average sub that can fill a small to medium size room... The VX-10 is worth a second look.

If you would like to read more reviews on the Velodyne VX-10 go here:

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/reviews/539813201

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
My first sub was a VX-10 and within it’s limitations it does a very good job. I’m keeping mine for when I finally get around to setting up something in my bedroom While the VX-10 sounds very good, 100w RMS and 150w peak power isn’t much for a sub. The VX-10 is going to be pretty much limited to a bedroom sized space and if you have a larger room I think you’ll outgrow it pretty quickly. My advice is to save a little longer and then size a sub to your listening space. BTW: I found it as low as $150 delivered via pricegrabber.

Guiria

Guiria

Senior Audioholic
I currently own the VX-10 and like the people have mentioned it does a nice job within it's limitations. I compared this sub to a polk audio psw303, and B&W ASW600. While I liked the B&W the best it was out of my price range. The VX-10 sounded tighter and more musical to me than the polk sub. I've owned it now for nearly 2 years. I currently have it in a 300 sq ft. room (2400 cubic feet) and it fills in the lower end nicely with music. It does lack the real 'sub' frequencies found in movies so if you're craving low tones I'd shy away from it. I did gain some lower frequency tones by placing it in a corner but I thought it sounded too boomy so it is currently 1/3 down a side wall. I've ordered the AV123 sub test disc so I can get some specs on frequency response. Maybe I'll jump back on here and post the results when I get the disc.

All in all I've been happy with it.

J

jhammer22

Enthusiast
Velodyne CHT8 on ebay for around $160 quite often, Much better sub for less money. I have 2. : )

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
The CHT-8 may be a very nice sub (I haven't heard it so I'll take your word), but I've owned a CHT-12. The CHT-12 had pretty good extention for the price, but it was just was just way too muddy for my taste. I sold it in favor of a much more expensive high-end SVS sub and what a difference. Depth was a given, but the difference in clarity was shocking. Anyway I'm keeping my very clear and musical, if seriously limited, VX-10 for my bedroom where, once I save for a 32" LCD, all it will have to do is back up some Klipsch satellites.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis