Velodyne..... VRP vs. DLS

JKnPA

JKnPA

Junior Audioholic
I will be buying my first real 'sub' shortly. I have been looking at the Velodyne 'VRP 1000' and the 'DLS 3750R' both 10" models. The former is priced at about $250 and the 'DLS' at about $500.
Is the 'DLS' worth the doubled price? I assume I'm paying for the 'digital signal processor'.
Any thoughts on Velodyne would be appreciated.
John

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
the DLS-R has a bigger enclosure, more power, goes lower, has a remote ... and the DSP that can change EQ boosts and subsonic filters to tailor the performance of the DLS-R to your taste.

the DLS-R will naturally go louder and with less port chuffing due to its slot port.

for 500 dollars, I'd get:
http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/index.php?cPath=2_41

one of these :)

the 600 dollar A5-350 (shipping included) will probably trample the VRP and DLS-R even if you had them both.

Last edited:
JKnPA

JKnPA

Junior Audioholic
Not a power issue...

Mike,
Thanks for the reply. I really don't need a lot of power. The RMS power is listed as 185W. for the 'DLS' and the 'DPS' as opposed to 130W. for the 'VRP1000. The lower freq. range is 28-120hz. as opposed to 35-140hz. for the 'VRP'. So I really don't see too much difference looking at those two factors.
I really don't want to spend more than $500. So would you say the difference in price is worth the $$$$ based on the quality of the speakers? I don't care about the 'remote control' capabilities of the sub!
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/383361-REG/Velodyne_VRP1000_VRP_1000_10_170_Watts.html

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
how big is your room? (how many cubic feet?) does it open to other areas?

are you going to use this for movies or music?

JKnPA

JKnPA

Junior Audioholic
Factors...

Mike,
The room size is 15x15x8...... livingroom, that opens to kitchen.
I want it for music/movies...... more so movies than music.
I just want a quality 'sub' without moving the walls or spending a lot of $$$$$$.
I was under the impression Velodyne was a 'quality' company. My first impression was the extra $250 was not worth the money for the 'digital processor' and any difference it would make.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i would really recommend the DLS-R (emphasis on the R) over the VRP.

it's always better for SQ to have a subwoofer playing below it's capabilities than a subwoofer playing at it's limits.

did you have a previous subwoofer? (what are you upgrading from) or will this be your first subwoofer?

would you also consider the A2-300 subwoofer from elemental designs? it's 350USD shipped, but there is a one month wait. do you have WAF concerns?

JKnPA

JKnPA

Junior Audioholic
i would really recommend the DLS-R (emphasis on the R) over the VRP.

it's always better for SQ to have a subwoofer playing below it's capabilities than a subwoofer playing at it's limits.
I understand that......... I can't say whether the 'VRP' will be enough!

did you have a previous subwoofer? (what are you upgrading from) or will this be your first subwoofer?
Yes..... its a passive Yamaha that was part of a 'HT system'.

would you also consider the A2-300 subwoofer from elemental designs? it's 350USD shipped, but there is a one month wait. do you have WAF concerns?
I looked at the 'ED' link you gave me and I looked at the posts on the other website. They may be very good subs; but I don't like the looks of the units. I want a 'sub' that looks good because it will be visible in the livingroom.
No 'WAF" factor....... not an issue.
I wanted something with a cherry wood look, but the price was way beyond my limits. I was going to buy the Polk sub in my avatar, but the reviews were all bad!
John

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
in that case, a cherry DLS-R would be my recommendation

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I used to own the DLS-3750R and I got it for $250 shipped brand new, and at that price point it was very good, I wouldn't however pay $500 for it. I would save up and get an SVS or HSU, which would blow the Velodyne out of the water. The remove is a very nice feature, but I found that once my levels were set, I rarely used the remote, but the classic/jazz setting gave the flattest response.

C

cobra99dave

Audiophyte
JK, it wont let me reply to your PM because I dont have enough posts. Anyway, I have the VRP-1000, its a decent sub and preforms well at moderate volume. In my apartment I was very satisfied with it but now that own my own single home I really like to crank it up and its just a bit underpowered. Overall, not bad for the price it just depends on your usage and room size.

JKnPA

JKnPA

Junior Audioholic
Very good.....

Ok......................... thanks for the reply.
John

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis