Velodyne SPL-1200R...I'm looking for a great deal!

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
just FYI ... an SPL-1500R is going to be released this may(?)

S

Steve42

Audioholic
I'm sure you know this but for $1300 there are more capable subs out there. Are you limited in space or something? Is it more for music? SVS, Hsu, ACI, Earthquake, etc. can offer you more at about that price, and in some cases below.

J

jhan1000

Audioholic Intern
Steve42 said:
I'm sure you know this but for $1300 there are more capable subs out there. Are you limited in space or something? Is it more for music? SVS, Hsu, ACI, Earthquake, etc. can offer you more at about that price, and in some cases below.
However, the one thing you will sacrifice with some of these subs is size; some of these subs are huge. With the Velodyne, you may sacrifice some SPL, but you get a nice small footprint that's not obstrusive. One isn't better than the other; it just depends what the OP wants.

S

Steve42

Audioholic
jhan1000 said:
However, the one thing you will sacrifice with some of these subs is size
I guess you missed my questions:
"Are you limited in space or something? Is it more for music?"

He has not said "small" is a requirement, thus my question. ;)

If it is, then fine, let's let him answer before jumping to other conclusions. Also I asked if his main interest is music. The Velo will likely be as good if not better than the others I mentioned for that. If his main requirement is SPL to fill a large space and size is not an issue, the Velo will not be the best choice. I'm well aware of the reasons for some of these choices, but I actually posed some questions to get a little more info.

Ask some questions offer other options, nothing wrong with that is there?:confused:

Steve

Last edited:
C

cthomp

Junior Audioholic
Earthquake

Steve,

I was very surprised with the specs on the Earthquake subs. Even more surprised with their compact size. Good tip! Thanks ;)

J

jhan1000

Audioholic Intern
Steve42 said:
I guess you missed my questions:
"Are you limited in space or something? Is it more for music?"

He has not said "small" is a requirement, thus my question. ;)

If it is, then fine, let's let him answer before jumping to other conclusions. Also I asked if his main interest is music. The Velo will likely be as good if not better than the others I mentioned for that. If his main requirement is SPL to fill a large space and size is not an issue, the Velo will not be the best choice. I'm well aware of the reasons for some of these choices, but I actually posed some questions to get a little more info.

Ask some questions offer other options, nothing wrong with that is there?:confused:

Steve
Steve,

Nothing wrong with offering other options. :) Options are great, and that's what makes this hobby fun.

I also apologize for any misunderstanding. My post was directed towards the OP to clarify your point that size may be in issue, and it really depends on what the OP wants. Upon rereading it, I should have addressed SMM directly to avoid the misunderstanding. Sorry again. :eek:

J

jdono52

Enthusiast
SMM,

I picked up an SPL1200 on Monday from onecall (authorized dealer) on an open box special. It is not a refurb and has full manufacturer's warranty for $440.00 plus shipping. I do not know if they have any left, but it may be worth contacting them to make sure.

Just a thought. Good luck.

SMM

SMM

Audioholic
I listen to 80% movies and 20% music. Size is imporatant, but not critical. I am looking for seating shaking LFE on the movies. I demoed the SPL-1200 with a Monitor Audio RS-6 setup and it sounded very good

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
oh. did you try demoing the DLS-5000R? if size is an issue, what about the DLS-4000R?

both of these will give you higher SPL for movies, they will never beat the SPL series with music, but 80% movies is pretty high.

what about the Sunfire True EQ Signature subwoofer? its only 13" x 13" x 13" with dual 12" drivers.

S

Steve42

Audioholic
SMM said:
I am looking for seating shaking LFE on the movies. I demoed the SPL-1200 with a Monitor Audio RS-6 setup and it sounded very good
I agree with Mike C, you can do much better for LFE than the SPL1200 for that amount of money especially. If you think it sounded very good in a demo room, your jaw would drop if you heard the Plus/2 or the MKV-15 inparticular. How big is your room? That can make a huge difference in the amount of "seating shaking LFE on the movies" you actually will get in your room with any given sub.

S

Steve42

Audioholic
cthomp said:
Steve,

I was very surprised with the specs on the Earthquake subs. Even more surprised with their compact size. Good tip! Thanks ;)
Indeed, if more people actually heard the MKV-15, you would see a lot of other subs on sale on places like Audiogon. ;)

jhan1000,

Sorry for the misunderstanding as well, these things happen with the written word though.

Steve

SMM

SMM

Audioholic
EARTHQUAKE SUPERNOVA MKV-15....any suggestions on an authorized dealer with great pricing. This looks to be out of my price range of $1000 to $1200

S

Steve42

Audioholic
SMM said:
EARTHQUAKE SUPERNOVA MKV-15....any suggestions on an authorized dealer with great pricing. This looks to be out of my price range of $1000 to $1200
At a retail of $2700 (for the cheapest Poly version), the fact that you can get it for $1400 delivered from a authorized dealer is a small miracle to begin with. If you are going to spend $1200 and really want earth shaking bass, $200 more is not much! ;)

Then again you can by a $1000 sub now and be happy for awhile, and end up spending more money in the end after you perhaps decide that you want more. I know many have done this including myself. Or you could take a short-cut and spend the extra cash now, and have all the SPL you could ever ask for. Not to mention extrememly accurate for music and on par with some of the best of sealed subs. :)

Last edited:
J

jhan1000

Audioholic Intern
Steve42 said:
jhan1000,

Sorry for the misunderstanding as well, these things happen with the written word though.

Steve
It's all good... I agree with you, that the written word can be misunderstood. But as I said, I should have done a better job. I probably shouldn't post during work anymore. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis