Velodyne MiniVee Subwoofer

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

The MiniVee:
There's nothing small about the MiniVee when it comes to power or performance. The 8" MiniVee starts with Velodyne's highest quality Class D digital amplifier cranking out 2000 watts dynamic power and 1000 watts RMS. Look inside and you'll find a massive 12.7 lb. magnet structure, a stiff Kevlar-reinforced driver cone, oversized spider and vented pole piece. Add it all up and you have a sub that produces deep, loud bass with low distortion. All of this comes wrapped up in a stylish black pica matte vinyl wrap. So whether you're listening to music or movies you won't find anything else that combines small size, accuracy, and efficiency at such a low price.

Features:

* 1000 watt RMS, 2000 watt peak amp
* 8" driver, 12.7 lb. magnet structure
* Plays low and loud
* Incredibly small, yet powerful
* Easy to set up and use

OK, that first part is straight from Velo's website. I type slow, so I just copied it. Well I'm going to tell you how this little guy does. I gave my sister and hubby a Infinity PS-8 for X-mas one year, and it sounds good for an 8" sub with a ported enclosure and 100 watts, so I know bass can come from an 8" driver.

DO NOT compare this Velodyne MiniVee to any other sub with an 8" woofer. It's just not fair. The MiniVee is in a small 12"x10"x10" sealed enclosure with an 8" driver facing forward. And what an 8!!! That little woofer does a lot of moving! That Class D 1000 watt amp makes it dance, and I mean it moves air big time!

When Velodyne says it plays low and loud, they are being very humble. It truely kicks butt for such a small enclosure (no port noise, ha), and with 2000 watts on tap, your mains had better be up for it. I have mine hooked up to a Yamaha HTR 5960 with the internal crossover set at 90hzs, and using a pair of Bose 301's. (Hsu HB-1's on order!)

At background levels the MiniVee plays low. The MiniVee plays low AND loud at higher volume levels. And it plays extremly clean. Bass is tight and fast. Turn it up...It still plays very low and just gets louder!

The MiniVee isn't cheap at $800.00 US, but you get what you pay for with this bad boy.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Nothing bad to say? Can we at least get a Pro's and Cons list, and similar Competition?

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
AV talk measured the SPL-800R, with is essentially the same sub (they didn't have the EQ or presets on, so it will be the same.

SheepStar

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

Nothing bad to say? Can we at least get a Pro's and Cons list, and similar Competition?

SheepStar
I'm not sure it has any competition. It's in a niche market. It's for small to medium size rooms, and it's expensive. Velodyne also makes a 10" version that must be deadly for larger rooms.

I have not heard anything that I don't like yet. If it acts up, I'll post it here.

B

brulaha

Audioholic
If you like that 8" velo...come over and listen to my 18" velo...pure bliss!!!

B

brulaha

Audioholic
I got lucky. A guy was trading 2 of them in to upgrade to revels. I just happened to be there, and I had to snap it up, given I knew the original retailer and it was in pristine condition. I could have never afforded it new.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I'm not sure it has any competition. It's in a niche market. It's for small to medium size rooms, and it's expensive. Velodyne also makes a 10" version that must be deadly for larger rooms.

I have not heard anything that I don't like yet. If it acts up, I'll post it here.
Seems to me then that you really don't know what you're listening for. I mean, ALL speakers more or less have a weakness, price for example. Just because the unit is small, doesn't mean there isn't any competition.

As for the sound of the unit it's self, it's nice. I've heard it, as well as the other models from the SPL series (10, 12, and 15inch). All of them sound good, but they're not the best, not by a long shot. I think your review would have more merit if you could maybe listen to other subwoofers in a similar price range and to a compare/contrast between them.

SheepStar

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

Your right Sheep. I failed to mention my MK MX-200 because it's got JBL car subs in it, and I didn't mention my Infinity PS 12 that gave up the ghost. Sorry.

After a good long listen this afternoon, I'll conclude that the MiniVee WILL NOT move as much air as the PS 12. And it does sound better than the MX 200 with car subs. It isn't made for big rooms, but it sounds nice in my bedroom.

Now why would I put car subs in a MX 200? Well, I'm a C 3-4 Quadriplegic in an electric wheelchair, and I hit things sometimes. Well, I hit the sub. Not hard, but I put a hole in the front firing woofer. It was just a paper cone. When I took them out of the box, I was almost embarrased at the wimpy magnet (I have woofer envy :D ). So I put some Rockford Fosgate Punch series 12's in it. And it sounded good. Thats my story :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis