Vann's is going to close it's doors forever

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
It seems as though Vann's will not be emerging from bankruptcy after all...

By Alan Wolf On Sep 24 2012 - 3:50pm

Missoula, Mont. – Vann’s, the 51-year-old A/V and majap chain, will begin liquidating its assets next month after failing to obtain sufficient funding to emerge from bankruptcy.

The Montana-based chain filed for Chapter 11 protection on Aug. 5, but could not convince lenders to extend an additional $3 million to $5 million, which recently named CEO Jerry McConnell deemed necessary to keep the business afloat.

“We’ve reached the point where we have to admit we can’t make this work in today’s economy,” McConnell said in a statement.

Vann’s informed the U.S. bankruptcy court in Butte, Mont., of its plans last Wednesday, and has given employees a 60-day layoff notice.

“Our analysis shows that the company might have been able to make it, but only with an infusion of an additional three to five million dollars, which just isn’t in the cards,” McConnell said. “We looked at other scenarios, too … but the way our sales have been falling off lately those strategies didn’t pencil out.”

A restructuring team is developing wind-down and sale alternatives which will be presented to the bankruptcy court by the first week of October. Going-out-of-business sales are likely to begin soon after, the company said.

McConnell told the local Missoulian newspaper that inventory will likely last through November, after which all stores will be closed.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Boo :( I probably can't even afford to buy any of their closeout gear :(

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I hate to hear it, but hopefully we can score some killer deals.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If Best Buy can barely make it, I can see how it will be tough for smaller places. Sucks.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Welcome to the Amazonebayinternetdirectinization of audio retail. RIP Vanns. If it's any consolation the T-Rex couldn't adapt either, and he was a total badass.

DJ

Pete6737

Pete6737

Enthusiast
I bought some stuff from them and had great experiences with them. Sad to see them go. It's a sign of the times..

T

TazExprez

Audiophyte
This is pretty bad, but many of the people purchasing items online are just looking for the best possible deal and it's very easy to lose potential customers with a few mouse clicks. In order to survive you have to be able to add some more value to the products that you sell. Maybe you can offer installation services, or something like that.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Someone please let me know if they sell things 50% off or more. :D

It's like a shoe sale or purse sale, etc, for women. It doesn't matter if I need it or not. If its a red tag sale, I'm buying. :eek:

itschris

itschris

We were just talking about this sort of thing at our analysts meeting. Online shops are now starting to experience what the brick and mortar shops went though a decade ago.

Where everyone started abandoning the local store in favor of a cheaper price with a handful of quality online retailers, a lot of physical stores bit the dust for failure to adapt and honestly, just the pure pricing pressure and thin margins.

Now, there's a ton of quality places online to get everything... from Craigslist/Ebay to the Traditional shops and all all the many many many independent pure internet shops in between.

They underestimate that the average person will shop at 3 different places instead of one if it saves them a few bucks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis