Vandersteen Vcc center

G

griffinconst

Senior Audioholic
What do you guys think of this one? I'd like to add a center my series 2's but this only has one woofer. Is the dispersion decent? Is the tweeter on top of the woofer? What do you say?
I say thanks.

OttoMatic

OttoMatic

Senior Audioholic
What do you guys think of this one? I'd like to add a center my series 2's but this only has one woofer. Is the dispersion decent? Is the tweeter on top of the woofer? What do you say?
I say thanks.
Which model of VCC? There's the VCC-1, the VCC-2 and the VCC-5. I have had the VCC-1 and I now have the VCC-5. I have never heard nor seen in person the "2".

I'm gonna guess you're talking about the "1" because you say it only has one woofer.

The "1" was OK. It was limited dynamically, though, and I think the crossover point was a little high at 80 Hz. I used it for a year or two, but it never really did it for me. The tweeter in the "1" is coaxial with the 6.5" driver (in the middle of it). Dispersion was decent, but not wide enough to fully and completely merge with my 3As Signature mains. Voicing was similar to the 3A Sig, but not quite there (this might have related to the dispersion as well, but I believe that the tweeters on the two models are different; I'm not sure if the tweeter in the VCC-1 and the 2CE are the same.).

The VCC-5, though, is a totally different animal. It has everything that was missing in the VCC-1. I've heard many people refer to it as one of the best centers, and I agree. It has the dispersion, voicing and dynamics that don't end.

It's all about budget, of course. I think I paid $450 for the VCC-1 (it was even the "Signature" model), and I paid something like $1500 for the VCC-5 (I bought both used, and the VCC-5 came with a huge stand that pretty much matches those of the 3A Sigs). If you can stretch it, or if you can wait, go for the "5". If not, the "1" will work reasonably well.

That's my experience with the two.

G

griffinconst

Senior Audioholic
The one I'm looking at is a Vcc1 but I can buy it for a song...ha ha. It's nice and cheap. It will be my first center in a newly setup 5.1 system so it sounds like it will do the trick for now. I'll probably think it's great, since I've never had a center before.
Thanks for the info and the advice, I really appreciate it.
If you are a Vandersteen guy, are series 2c so much better than 2's that I should look into them? I know it's all in my ears but what do you say?
Thanks again.

OttoMatic

OttoMatic

Senior Audioholic
Hey there,

Well, I do have Vandersteens, but I'm only familiar with the 3As, the centers I mentioned and the VSM-1 surrounds. I've not hear any of the 2 series, so I can't comment. Sorry.

M

Maceo23

Junior Audioholic
Hey Griff, I have a pair of 2ce signatures and a vcc-2 center channel. I think you'll be pretty pleased with the vcc-1. Now, as far as the model 2 compared to the 2c's, you're kinda comparing 25 year old to 20 year old speakers. Either way, they still sound great. I've actually talked with Richard Vandersteen, and he basically continuously upgrades his speakers. At the end of the day, if they sound good, and you enjoy them, who gives a crap what the tag on the back says :D.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis