Using speaker wire to connect subwoofer

N

nwbearcats98

Audiophyte
First off, I am new to home theater setup. So, building my own house I decided to run in wall speaker wire for a 5.1 setup. The placement research I did for this never mentioned anything about a subwoofer cable being any different than normal speaker wire, so I ran 14/2 speaker wire to a single gang for the sub woofer. Now that my walls are sheetrocked and I go to get a subwoofer, I found out about the coaxial type subwoofer cable. So, can I just get a 6.1 or higher receiver and still just use the one pair speaker wire in the subwoofer's left input? Sales people tell me that it won't be as good because of the mono/stereo issue, but bass is bass isn't it??? The issue I worry about is that the sixth speaker output on the receiver doesn't know what signal to send out like the subwoofer pre-out does. Is that a real concern???

Thanks in advance!!!! ;)

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Not certain. But I believe you will NOT be able to use the speaker wire. Can you snake the cable through? :confused:

J

johnpaulwynn

Audiophyte
Use the speaker wire as a pull cable

14 Gauge is pretty stout stuff. Get some electrical tape and tape the end of the RCA-Sub cable to the speaker wire and pull it through. As long as the holes are big enough through the studs (if there are any) then you are good to go. :cool:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis