Using outdoor speakers with Yamaha v1700

M

mrpotto

Enthusiast
My old Denon receiver had an a/b button. A controlled the speakers in my den and b was for the outdoor speakers. With the Yamaha, I have to section off my outdoors as zone 2 speakers.

My question, will I be able to play my CD player on only zone 2 (outdoor) speakers or will I have to hook up a separate component as a source to play out of zone 2? My neighbor seems to think this is the case. He also thinks that zone 2 speakers can only be fed with a analog source. True?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, most receivers will only pass analog signals to zone 2. If you hook up the CD player using both digital and analog cables you will be able to use it in zone1 or zone2 and at the same time as you are playing a different source for zone1.

M

mrpotto

Enthusiast
Yes, most receivers will only pass analog signals to zone 2. If you hook up the CD player using both digital and analog cables you will be able to use it in zone1 or zone2 and at the same time as you are playing a different source for zone1.
Huh, so there is no equivalenet A/B set-up on the Yamaha like there was with my cheapo Denon. I guess not a huge deal to hook up CD player with analog and digital. I also envisioned hooking my PC up with a TOSLINK (through my audio amigo pc amp) to play into zone 2. I guess that's not possible?

Thanks for your reply.

M

MichaelJHuman

Audioholic
I believe Yamaha omits A/B switching in lieu of zone capability.

One option is a box which let's you connect multiple pairs of speakers while maintaining correct impedence. googgle speaker selector.

W

WeAreSurrounded

Audioholic
I believe Yamaha omits A/B switching in lieu of zone capability. One option is a box which let's you connect multiple pairs of speakers while maintaining correct impedence. googgle speaker selector.
What for ? :confused: With the Zone2 capability he doesn't need any switch anymore. He can play independently Zone1 and Zone2 or play same signal in both. Plus, no worries about matching impedence as the Zones use discrete amps in YAM.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis