Using concert type subwoofer in car

M

martiv

Audiophyte
Hi Guys,

I'm new here, so sorry if I'm posting this under incorrect subject.

Can anyone share experience me how does a concert type subwoofer feel in the car? I'm thinking of using some 18" subwoofer which is more meant to be used in concerts(It's not with rubber membrain)

How would the bass feel in car? Will it be similar to rubber membrane subwoofers? Or will it be rather like accoustic bass?

Thank You Guys!

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Hi Guys,

I'm new here, so sorry if I'm posting this under incorrect subject.

Can anyone share experience me how does a concert type subwoofer feel in the car? I'm thinking of using some 18" subwoofer which is more meant to be used in concerts(It's not with rubber membrain)

How would the bass feel in car? Will it be similar to rubber membrane subwoofers? Or will it be rather like accoustic bass?

Thank You Guys!
An 18" is too large for a car IMO the Necessary enclosure size would be a tough swing. With Cabin Gain you'd be find with a solid 12" IMO. That being said any driver could theoretically work. I suggest you get more car specific advice at 12volt.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
A PA subwoofer driver could actually work pretty well sealed in a car application, because the FS tends to be high and the qts is low. It would presumably match cabin gain nicely; and you don't need ridiculous excursion. Since sensitivity should be highish, the demand on the amp and car battery are low.

Overall though we really need to know exactly which driver is being used.

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
What are you trying to achieve? Deep bass or SPL? I'm still trying to understand what you mean by rubber membrane. And what do you mean by concert type subwoofer?

I have alot of experience with car audio so I could possibly help but I've never heard anyone describe woofers as concert or rubber membrane before.

B

Bassbinotoko

Enthusiast
Most musical instrument and PA woofers have a corrugated surround rather than a rubber or foam roll surround.

I've tried a pair of Eminence Omega Pro 18" in a car; at least a small station wagon. With about 200 watts, it achieved 140.1 according to dB Dragracing measurements. Subjectively, it didn't feel all that loud. Ported cabinet with two 6" ports (less than ideal), about 14 cubic feet.

I believe Marathon sold the same drivers with different dust caps. Or at least they were build by Eminence using very similar components. I may have a Marathon spec sheet someplace; in any case it would be educational to see what enclosure they suggested. Maybe sealed would allow a much smaller box, or the corrugated surround would allow infinite baffle mounting. The optimum volume for a single sub in a vented box was more like 8 cubic feet (for normal home/concert use).

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hey,

Thanks for the feedback guys!
I was planning to use this: RCF - L18P300
That driver is not a sub woofer driver, but a woofer, and will not play very low.

Fs is 33 Hz and so cut off will be way above that, especially sealed.

Also xmax, cone excursion, is fairly low. Sensitivity is high.

Like all woofer of its type, it is designed for high spl above 60 Hz mated to horn compression divers, for use in very large spaces.

That driver is totally unsuitable for your application.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Is 12volt part of Audioholics?
Not generally part of this forum. Use a driver that's made for a car- a driver made for live sound isn't, unless you put it in a full-size bus. You want a low Fs (resonant frequency) and something that was specifically designed to be installed in a small enclosure. The acoustical environment in a car is completely different from a living space.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Not generally part of this forum. Use a driver that's made for a car- a driver made for live sound isn't, unless you put it in a full-size bus. You want a low Fs (resonant frequency) and something that was specifically designed to be installed in a small enclosure. The acoustical environment in a car is completely different from a living space.
You can certainly use a driver made for a home box, but the cost is probably unnecessary. A solid 12" driver can take out windows if you choose. :D

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
You can certainly use a driver made for a home box, but the cost is probably unnecessary. A solid 12" driver can take out windows if you choose. :D
Kind of like the eD 13av.2 with 1200 watts that I have in my two door :cool:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis