Using computer speakers as home theater speakers

R

rak_32

Banned
I saw someone using computer speakers for watching home theater movies on his projector screen. It was quite funny, he had his 2 logitech computer speakers positioned to the right of his room while he would sit facing the center of the screen. Basically, you hear the sound comming from only the right side. The speakers he used cost only 14.00 (http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-970153-0403-R-20-Speakers/dp/B0007Z6RAA/sr=8-16/qid=1157190235/ref=sr_1_16/104-1266625-1648753?ie=UTF8&s=pc)
the song wasnt half bad but i was wondering how those small speakers could generate sound to fill up a medium sized room and actually sound half decent?

bryantm3

bryantm3

Audioholic
well, to even connect to computer speakers.. you'd have to have two RCA plugs going out of your L/R pre-outs on the back of your reciever, and then have something like this:
http://store.worldstart.com/product.php?productid=2746&cat=84&page=1

going into your speakers.

and it wouldn't sound that great. i have some of the best computer speakers out there (JBL Creature II), and compared to my RTi8s, even when they're not getting enough power, the computer speakers sound like a tin box.

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
I'd reccomend the Logitech Z-5300's, since it looks like you might want a budget system, they sound freakin awsome, and they get loud. For roughly 100$, they are nice, though they are 1/8th jacks, they do come with a 1.8th to rca adaptor.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
If I were going off to college (I’m 30yrs too old) I’d want a home theater PC with an HDTV tuner card, a Dell 24” wide screen display, and Klipsch’s outstanding ProMedia 5.1 Ultra speaker system.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
rak_32 said:
I saw someone using computer speakers for watching home theater movies on his projector screen. It was quite funny, he had his 2 logitech computer speakers positioned to the right of his room while he would sit facing the center of the screen. Basically, you hear the sound comming from only the right side. The speakers he used cost only 14.00 (http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-970153-0403-R-20-Speakers/dp/B0007Z6RAA/sr=8-16/qid=1157190235/ref=sr_1_16/104-1266625-1648753?ie=UTF8&s=pc)
the song wasnt half bad but i was wondering how those small speakers could generate sound to fill up a medium sized room and actually sound half decent?
You're starting to ask silly questions again. You know once a mod sees this, he'll ban you again. Just a heads up Rak.

R

rak_32

Banned
Buckeyefan 1 said:
You're starting to ask silly questions again. You know once a mod sees this, he'll ban you again. Just a heads up Rak.
OMG! why do you keep doing this? This is a serious question, I just want to know if this is a good idea.

saxon67

saxon67

Audiophyte
I did just the opposite. I got a Creative X-fi sound card for my PC. I then got a Denon AVR3805 receiver and Aperion speakers. Suffice it to say the sound is FAR superior to the tin box sounding Logitech Z680's that this replaced.:)

wilkenboy

wilkenboy

Full Audioholic
rak_32 said:
i was wondering how those small speakers could generate sound to fill up a medium sized room and actually sound half decent?
AVRAt already posted the link to my thread, where due to cash flow I used my logitech speakers and sub for quite a few months. Originally this was a 4.1 "THX" computer speaker system, although I'm not exactly sure what THX means in this case.

Honestly, these little guys and the sub did pretty decent in my room, especially given the price point ($130 almost 4 years ago now). It certainly wowed the crowd who had never really been exposed to a decent surround system before.

But once I had the cash, took off the training wheels, and bought some real speakers (Ascends) the inadequacy of the logitechs was pretty apparent. I had been missing a lot of the mid-bass and while these little guys can belt it out in the near field when listening from 10 feet away they lose a lot of their sound and imaging capabilities. Furthermore I was forcing the sub to go much higher than it should, which resulted in a forced / muddy mid-bass.

The logitechs have now stepped back down to my computer desk where they are more up to the task at hand. They will always hold a special place in my heart, like a 5th grade crush.

Would I recommend this as a way to step into the world of "poor mans" surround sound? If you were cash constrained and wanted to prove the basic concept (like me at the time), absolutely. But I'd also recommend that someone looking at this should definetly plan to move up the ladder at the first opportunity.

~Josh

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis