using auto calibration

T

twisted3

Enthusiast
So, I been hearing lately not to use the receivers auto calibration. I have a pioneer 54tx and I normally set speaker size, level, distance and crossover myself, but I then run the auto pro to equalize all speakers excluding the subwoofer since it does not equalize the sub. Since I currently have no room treatments I thought using the auto pro would help my system out, but am I wrong? What are pros and cons on using the mcacc, if any?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
twisted3 said:
So, I been hearing lately not to use the receivers auto calibration. I have a pioneer 54tx and I normally set speaker size, level, distance and crossover myself, but I then run the auto pro to equalize all speakers excluding the subwoofer since it does not equalize the sub. Since I currently have no room treatments I thought using the auto pro would help my system out, but am I wrong? What are pros and cons on using the mcacc, if any?

Nothing wrong with the auto EQ. But, you need to be careful. Any external noises may cause errors, EQing on that noise.
You may just want to do it when the external noises are minimal.

muncybob

muncybob

Audioholic
I used the auto(YPAO??) on my Yamaha...didn't sound quite right to me so I tweaked a bit. Then I obtained a SPL meter and the Avia calibration disc to learn my speakers were not balanced...esp in the rears. Only watched 1 movie and listened to 1 cd since but it seems to be better balanced. I also actually took measurements for the speaker distance before doing the calibration since my previous guesstimates were off a bit. I was surprised to see how much adjustment the rears needed after the auto set up.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis