Using a projector to enlarge digital photos

J

jake5717

Audioholic
The title may be a little miss leading but here a quick background and my question.

We take photos at 1024 X 768 (.8MP) because they need to be uploaded over slow connections, well someone wants to blow one of the photos up and as you guessed .8MP doesn’t blow up very well. My question is: If we have a projector running at 1024 X 768 and we display the photo wouldn’t that be a better way of blowing up the photo? I know the detail won’t be there but the photo should be larger with less distortion...right?

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
If we have a projector running at 1024 X 768 and we display the photo wouldn’t that be a better way of blowing up the photo? I know the detail won’t be there but the photo should be larger with less distortion...right?
What are you comparing this option to?

If you are displaying the picture, on a 1280x720 or 1024x768 native PJ it will fill the screen. On a 1920x1080 native PJ it will have to be upscaled and will look pixelated.

Hope that helps...

J

jake5717

Audioholic
Im compairing it to having a poster printed.

We have some older projectors that are probably 1024 X 768.

J

JonBaker99

Audioholic
Yes you can make the photos larger with a projector that is closer to native resolution. The quality of the image will probably depend upon how clsoe you are. The farther back you are, the less likely you are to see the massive low rez pixels ;)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Im compairing it to having a poster printed.

We have some older projectors that are probably 1024 X 768.
How large is the poster?
As best I know, while the format is good, how many mega-pixels in the picture that you are trying make into a poster. If I read .8 Mpixels=800kbits, I think you will have an issue. That is all the resolution you have to enlarge.

Can you try one and see?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The resolution of the image is not related to the size of the image. You can have a 17" monitor at 1024 x 768 and another 21" monitor also at 1024 x 768. The number of pixels that comprise the image is the same but the pixels are larger on the larger screen.

Reducing the camera resolution will make the result smaller but displaying it on a huge screen will look grainy no matter what the resolution of the projector.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
The resolution of the image is not related to the size of the image. You can have a 17" monitor at 1024 x 768 and another 21" monitor also at 1024 x 768. The number of pixels that comprise the image is the same but the pixels are larger on the larger screen.

Reducing the camera resolution will make the result smaller but displaying it on a huge screen will look grainy no matter what the resolution of the projector.
So, his 800Kb picture will look grainy on that poster which I would think is probably about 17"x 30" perhaps?

J

jake5717

Audioholic
Yeah the posters would be about 17"X30" and the file size is about 200k.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
So, his 800Kb picture will look grainy on that poster which I would think is probably about 17"x 30" perhaps?
The picture has to be enlarged which means scaling. Depending on how well that is done, the poster may look fine. The higher resolution you start with though, the better the outcome.

I would use the highest possible resolution from the camera as the source image to be made into a poster and then resize that image for sending over a slow network connection.

J

jake5717

Audioholic
Can’t change the resolution of the camera multiple photos are uploaded over slow connections and photos can’t be retaken.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis