Used Car - Destination fee?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
On thinking about this, I think you need to understand cold weather issues related to Diesel fuel and especially the ULSD now mandatory in the US before purchase.

Your problems will not be as severe as in Minnesota and ND winters I have to deal with. However it is cold enough in Kentucky that you need to really understand this post before you buy a diesel vehicle. What I will share with you is the most important information you need to understand before you and you wife own a diesel vehicle. Having your wife on board and understanding this is crucial.

I mention this as my wife never got over the terror of owning diesel vehicles in ND. She would never fuel a vehicle and would never venture out longer than the fuel range.

At one time we had a diesel VW Rabbit and a Suburban diesel at the same time.

In the end I had to part with the VW and get a Honda Accord primarily for winter fuel reasons.

You need to understand cloud, pour points, and water contamination of diesel fuel and what to do about it. You need to understand how the new ULSD has aggravated the problem.

Here is what I found out about the Kentucky winter climate.

Winters are rarely harsh. In January, average daily high temperatures increase from 38 F in the north to 44° F in the south. Cloudy skies are more frequent in winter, as most areas receive near 40 percent of available sunshine. Polar air masses occasionally affect Kentucky for short periods. Temperatures dip below 0° F an average of about five days in the north and two days in the south. Spring and fall are generally pleasant seasons, though temperatures can change dramatically with the passage of frontal systems. The diurnal temperature range is about 20° F during the summer and winter but increases to near 25° F during the spring and fall, when warm days and cool nights are prevalent.
Avg Annual Temp
Avg # days > 90F Avg # days < 32F Record High Temp Record Low Temp
Jackson 65.9 47.1 56.5 14 79 101 / 1988 -18 / 1985
Lexington 64.9 45.4 55.2 22 95 103 / 1952 -21 / 1963
Louisville 66.6 47.0 56.8 36 86 105 / 1954 -22 / 1994
Paducah 67.8 47.2 57.5 44 88 106 / 1952 -15 / 1985
Kentucky's annual average temperature - 55.59 degrees, 15th warmest state in the U.S.

This is from the petroleum performance technology.

This from Enertech Labs.

This from Howes
who make the anti gelling agent I have trusted my life to.

As you will see the ULSD has virtually no lubricant properties. I strongly advise the use of Howes year round. I have always used lubricants ever since the introduction of low sulfur fuel and I regard the use of lubricants with ULSD fuel as mandatory, no matter what dealers and manufacturers say.

At over 200K miles the injector pump has never been off my suburban and the injectors are still perfect. It does not smoke at all. People who drive behind it swear I must have changed the engine for a gas one! This would not be the case without obsessional use of lubricants.

In the winter you don't want to let your tank get low. The more diesel you keep in the tank, the less likely you are to get water in the diesel from condensation. Buy the way never use gas line antifreeze used for treating gasoline, it will cause severe engine damage and quite likely right away.

Women have resistance to blending winter fuel. It is best to blend it yourself. I can tell you from bitter experience that you can not trust fuel stations to have fuel of the blend they say they have.

Women are also resistant to handling the lubricants. They do not like the smell on their hands of handling diesel hoses and lubricants.

Bottom line: - you and your wife need to understand what I have told you.

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
You live in Kentucky, I think it gets cold enough there, that you will have to be careful to winterize your fuel.
Generally this is not a problem if you fill up at high volume stations, like where most truckers get their fuel, and stay away from the "little stations".

At 98K miles I would ask about the timing belt interval and if its been done as the older model service was right at 100K miles.

Steve

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Generally this is not a problem if you fill up at high volume stations, like where most truckers get their fuel, and stay away from the "little stations".

At 98K miles I would ask about the timing belt interval and if its been done as the older model service was right at 100K miles.

Steve
I high volume station is irrelevant. You have to be responsible for your own blend when owning diesels in winter where the temp can get below the cloud point. It gets cold enough on Kentucky he will need more than just blended fuel anyway. Truckers don't need blended fuel as their fuels lines and tanks are heated.

A good thought about the timing belt, he absolutely must have the dealer changed that before purchase, it it has not been changed.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
^ Excellent point about the dealer swapping the timing belt.

As for cold weather diesel, your line of latitude determines what blend of Shell brand diesel you are getting. That is the first step to keep the cold from turning your fuel to gelatin.

In KY you should have zero problems. 'Summer' blend diesel is rated down to 20 degrees Fahrenheit, which of course allows a bit of discrepancy.

Point is, unless you suffer a single digit winter, during the day, you will be fine.

If you move to a place further north, there are $150 or less solutions for heating the fuel that comes standard in Canadian VWs.

Just buy the friggin car dude! It gets better mileage, puts out 20%+ fewer pollutants, and will run hundreds of thousands of miles longer than a gasoline motor. Take good care of her, replace your suspension and bearings as needed, and treat the auto trans with respect and youll be passing that car to your kids in 20 years.

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
I high volume station is irrelevant. You have to be responsible for your own blend when owning diesels in winter where the temp can get below the cloud point.
Nope, as TheWarrior stated above, your lattitude determines the blend of winter fuel you get. The reason I stated "high volume" stations is that they refresh their tanks more often and as winter sets in they are more likely to have properly winterized fuel for the time of year due to their volume.

Its not a bad idea to have some additive, like power service, around just in case the temperature goes unseasonably cold. Of course up here where it gets "really cold" its much more of an issue than in Kentucky.

Steve

jinjuku

jinjuku

I high volume station is irrelevant. You have to be responsible for your own blend when owning diesels in winter where the temp can get below the cloud point. It gets cold enough on Kentucky he will need more than just blended fuel anyway. Truckers don't need blended fuel as their fuels lines and tanks are heated.

A good thought about the timing belt, he absolutely must have the dealer changed that before purchase, it it has not been changed.
Timing belt is changed 800 miles ago...

jinjuku

jinjuku

Here you go.... I know some are shaking heads but all the objective data leads me to believing the car and purchase are solid. I hope :D. It simply meets our needs set at this point in time.

Attachments

Last edited:
avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
Timing belt is changed 800 miles ago...
Perfect .... and the water pump was done at the same time?
I just ask this cause normally its done then as the same belt drives it but not a big deal if it wasn't.

Steve

P.S. Nice car!

jinjuku

jinjuku

Perfect .... and the water pump was done at the same time?
I just ask this cause normally its done then as the same belt drives it but not a big deal if it wasn't.

Steve

P.S. Nice car!
Yes. You have the water pump off anyways... It was $920 for both on the service invoice.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis