Used budget of $500, Need a receiver that can...

E

emrliquidlife

Junior Audioholic
I have been wanting to upgrade my receiver from the HK AV146 to something more stout. I saw that buying used really could make my dollar stretch.

My primary needs are:
Two Channel stereo listening
Must be able to drive a 4 ohm load.
full preamp outputs to upgrade the amplifier down the road
Processing so that I have Dolby, DTS etc
Internal x'over ability
It would be nice if I had a phasing switch for the sub out.

Not so concerned about having the latest and greatest HDMI, but the ability to pass a signal through would be nice.

I am considering the Arcam AVR250. I like how I could Biamp my Unisound AU265 speakers.

If I could get into a used NAD with the upgradeable modules, that would be awesome, but way out of budget.

You gents have any receivers that you highly recommend?

smileys by my 5 year old daughter
:):rolleyes::p:confused::eek:

E

emrliquidlife

Junior Audioholic
Okay, If I have to resort to posting pictures of my gals cleavage to get the collective insight of you sonic purists I'll do it!

Can't do the Arcam as it doesn't have pre outs....Bummer.

S

skers_54

Full Audioholic
Your best bet is getting a receiver with pre-outs and an external amp stable at low impedence. HK sells a bunch of factory refurbs through their eBay store at very good prices. Accessories4less has good prices on Marantz receivers, which all have pre-outs IIRC. Add a used Adcom or similar amp from Audiogon or a Behringer A500 and you should be at right around $500.

An Onkyo 805 or 876 would probably be your best bet if you don't want to get an external amp. You'll have to look kinda hard for those, as they are older models with mostly satisfied users.

E

emrliquidlife

Junior Audioholic
I don't know why, but I'm such a sucker for the high brow names, otherwise that Onkyo 707 looks mighty nice.

The receiver for sale here is in TN. With shipping, I'm over budget.

I have been trying to get a Adcom amp on ebay, but I have been getting outbid at the last second.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Check Audiogon for amps. I was in the same situation looking on Ebay and kept loosing. I ended up getting my Adcom GFA-555 on Audiogon for a better deal that I was getting on Ebay even if I had one an auction.

Check into the Onk 805 used, I would say you can't go wrong with it.

E

emrliquidlife

Junior Audioholic
Ahem. Sniping utilities can be good friends of yours. ;)
Got a recommendation? PM me if needed.

I did get a Adcom 6000. Still a bit ticked that for some 70 dollars more, I could have had a better amp.

So, now I need to get a seperate processor as I now have an amp.

I would really like to have a phasing switch for the sub out.

Any names come to mind? I like the Emotiva unit, but I am handicaped by budget. I really can't spend more than $400 used.

Ed

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis