USB cable for DAC input: how much $$$ to spend for quality?

T

titzlaroo

Audioholic Intern
I was previously talked into an AudioQuest carbon cable. Although the material and sound were great, the durability of the plastic connectors is lacking (as confirmed by myself and others' reviews).

I need another cable and have read conflicting opinions and facts on whether or not an expensive cable will really make a difference. Any opinions or suggestions out there?

Do the same standards hold true for a USB cable (from computer to DAC) as for speaker wire? It's my understanding that the USB cable merely transfers ones and zeroes.

I believe the cable is just a USB A to B (.75).

Last edited:
T

titzlaroo

Audioholic Intern
I'm aware, but nowhere near an expert, of speaker wire quality. My knowledge is still has room to grow! :). Maybe I should have rephrased or added a little more in my original post...so I will add the following:

Do the same standards hold true for a USB cable (from computer to DAC) as for speaker wire? It's my understanding that the USB cable merely transfers ones and zeroes.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm aware, but nowhere near an expert, of speaker wire quality. My knowledge is still has room to grow! :). Maybe I should have rephrased or added a little more in my original post...so I will add the following:

I have AudioEngine D1 Dac and I used optical toslink to isolate the dac from any pc rf noises, but yes USB is just zeros and ones
If you don't have any ground loop issues, then any usb cable will do just fine....

Read the link above and try to learn

jinjuku

jinjuku

If you want to spend the money get the Belkin Gold USB cable

As far as sound differences have someone swap out the AQ with another cable without your knowledge with a coin flip about 15 times. You walk out of the room, they make the change. They walk out you walk in and listen and jot down which cable you are using.

If you don't hit the 90% correct then you are just guessing.

T

titzlaroo

Audioholic Intern
BoredGuy,

Read the link above and try to learn
...read this before asking another question...
Is it your intent to sound condescending?

I read the link. Perhaps, I missed something? The only thing that was mentioned was speaker wire. I asked the original question because I am not sure if the characteristics of speaker wire are applicable when discussing a USB data transfer cable. The shielding on the wire, to reduce outside interference, and the material of the wire seems to make a considerable difference with speaker wire. I'm just not sure the to what extent this would make a difference with my setup? I spent a little over 10% of the total cost of my preamp on my original USB cable (~$150). I don't want to over do-it, but I also don't want to under do-it.

What I'm hoping for is that maybe someone has tried a $20 vs a $200 cable and found a negligible difference. Maybe someone has already done the legwork on this, knows the physics behind the subject, and can steer me in the right direction?

I believe you're telling me that my original cable was good, but all I need is one for $2.84? Is this the right happy medium for quality vs $$$? Will I not hear a difference with a cable that may cost half as much as my original (~$75)?

Ground looping is not involved in my current setup. I don't have an optical cable option. USB is it.

T

titzlaroo

Audioholic Intern
Jinjuku,

thanks for the reply. A sound test may be just what is needed in the end. I'm not against spending a bit more dough on a cable if it would make a noticeable difference though.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Jinjuku,

thanks for the reply. A sound test may be just what is needed in the end. I'm not against spending a bit more dough on a cable if it would make a noticeable difference though.
The answer is: It's up to your ears. My approach personally is to come by the end result in an honest manner that precludes bias.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
BoredGuy,

Is it your intent to sound condescending?

I read the link. Perhaps, I missed something? The only thing that was mentioned was speaker wire. I asked the original question because I am not sure if the characteristics of speaker wire are applicable when discussing a USB data transfer cable. The shielding on the wire, to reduce outside interference, and the material of the wire seems to make a considerable difference with speaker wire. I'm just not sure the to what extent this would make a difference with my setup? I spent a little over 10% of the total cost of my preamp on my original USB cable (~$150). I don't want to over do-it, but I also don't want to under do-it.

What I'm hoping for is that maybe someone has tried a $20 vs a $200 cable and found a negligible difference. Maybe someone has already done the legwork on this, knows the physics behind the subject, and can steer me in the right direction?

I believe you're telling me that my original cable was good, but all I need is one for $2.84? Is this the right happy medium for quality vs $$$? Will I not hear a difference with a cable that may cost half as much as my original (~$75)?

Ground looping is not involved in my current setup. I don't have an optical cable option. USB is it.
I was not trying to come off condescending, but to stress how important is to educate oneself on a matter of audio cables. Your 2nd post didn't indicate that you actually read the article so I reinforced my point.

As you see how little even simple analog cable affects the sound quality - the digital one is even significantly less - its either works or doesn't.

In extreme cases like very long hdmi cables - yes, running complex and data rich signals across 50ft (or more) may require a bit more engineering than a simplest and cheapest cord, but in case of usb audio the data requirements are extremely low compared to noise suitability of the cord.

My main point - if it works = that means you WILL get best possible quality or it simple doesn't (no audio or severe audio breakups).

If you like go ahead with blind testing, but in my opinion they would be waste of time. Just my humble 2c

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis