Urgent help requested from Anthem owners!

G

geedee

Enthusiast
Oh dear..... I've finally swapped out my ageing Onkyo 989 for an Anthem Mrx 300. I did quite a bit of research, and listened to a demo (it was the 700 to be fair) and decided that was the one I wanted... plus it was on sale!!

Just plugged all the speakers and sub woofer in, did the "quick set-up" (I can't use ARC until I get a mate with a PC / RS232 over here)..... and it sounds crap.

I watched Batman (dark knight rising, or whatever, rented from iTunes) yesterday using the 989, and today watched the iTunes preview. The Onkyo absolutely blows away this Anthem.

I also noticed I had it on nearly 75% volume.... and it still hasn't got any "oomph". The store's policy is it won't take back used sale items.... how can it sound so crap compared to the 700 I demoed, and the 11 year old 989??? What have I done... or not done?

All help appreciated!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
So from 3k top of the line AVR for overpriced 1k avr hmm. 130wx7 for 60w x 5
I'm sorry, but I have to say that other than modern convenience features I would call the a downgrade.

If you have hard to drive and demanding speakers in large space I would not be surprised that the sound is actually worse...
You do have a pre-outs on the Mrx 300 so you might have to add a decent amp
probably at least Emotiva XPA-3

Anthem MRX 300 A/V Receiver | Home Theater
Onkyo TX-DS989 A/V Receiver THX Ultra, THX Surround EX, DTS-ES, and Dolby Digital at Crutchfield.com

G

geedee

Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply, BSA. I was on the verge of getting the Onkyo 818 for the same price, but everything I read pointed to the Anthem. I figured the 818 was a modern 989, and that prices had trended downwards!

What a mess... the Anthem sounds OK, but hasn't got any "attack" whatsoever. It's really quite shocking.... the 700 that was demoed has a bit more grunt, and sounded fantastic, but I decided that the extra few watts wasn't worth the money. I'm not interested in networked amps, or airplay, or any of that rubbish... that's all taken care of with my Apple TV. That was another reason I decided against the Onkyo.... half the features would have been useless for me.

I'm hoping I've done something wrong... the unit I have sounds nothing like the demo 700. Bugger.:(

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the reply, BSA. I was on the verge of getting the Onkyo 818 for the same price, but everything I read pointed to the Anthem. I figured the 818 was a modern 989, and that prices had trended downwards!

What a mess... the Anthem sounds OK, but hasn't got any "attack" whatsoever. It's really quite shocking.... the 700 that was demoed has a bit more grunt, and sounded fantastic, but I decided that the extra few watts wasn't worth the money. I'm not interested in networked amps, or airplay, or any of that rubbish... that's all taken care of with my Apple TV. That was another reason I decided against the Onkyo.... half the features would have been useless for me.

I'm hoping I've done something wrong... the unit I have sounds nothing like the demo 700. Bugger.:(
Was demo unit connected to different speakers? In smaller room?

If you were looking for modern equivalent to 989 which was Onkyo's Flagship at the time, 818 is good workhorse but it's not a flagship product.
Thou similar in wattage, but TX-NR5010 and TX-NR3010 are much closer in term is amp quality

Again, this sounds to me you need a beefer amp, try one from Emotiva - they do have 30 days in home trial and worry free returns. XPA-3/5 might the ticket for you

D

dad311

Audioholic Intern
I bought the Onkyo 818 a few weeks ago and Im very impressed. I dont think think its a "flag ship", but for $675.00 I don't think anything else could touch it.

Im using it with a Emovtiva XPA-5 amp.

G

geedee

Enthusiast
Was demo unit connected to different speakers? In smaller room?

If you were looking for modern equivalent to 989 which was Onkyo's Flagship at the time, 818 is good workhorse but it's not a flagship product.
Thou similar in wattage, but TX-NR5010 and TX-NR3010 are much closer in term is amp quality

Again, this sounds to me you need a beefer amp, try one from Emotiva - they do have 30 days in home trial and worry free returns. XPA-3/5 might the ticket for you
Thanks again, BSA. The demo was in a smaller room (much) and with Paradigm speakers, much bigger than mine. I could spend the extra on a bigger amp, or just exchange it and get an Integra/Onkyo.

I bought the Onkyo 818 a few weeks ago and Im very impressed. I dont think think its a "flag ship", but for $675.00 I don't think anything else could touch it.

Im using it with a Emovtiva XPA-5 amp.
The 818 is what I should've got, to be honest. At least I know how they'll sound!

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
Different speakers, different rooms, different avrs make it hard to draw a comparison.

The Onkyo 989 is spec'd at 130 w/ch into 8 ohms, all channels driven. The MRX 300 is spec'd at 60 w/ch 5 channels driven. The home theater review has the MRX 300 measured at Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 56.3 watts
1% distortion at 70.9 watts

Not apples to apples but it would appear that the Onkyo is a beefier amp than the MRX300.

You don't say what speakers you are driving, nor the size of the room you're listening in. Are you using a subwoofer? If so could the crossovers be set differently with the new avr? Are you driving a 7.1 system? 5.1? 2 channel?
You might need an external amp with the mrx300. You might see if you can borrow one to see if that helps.

The ARC in the anthem is supposed to be quite good. I'd do the setup with it before giving up on it.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
What speakers are you running? Are there independent measurements of efficiency and impedance graph?
If so, we may be able to verify the need for more power.

It is easy to accidentally engage some feature on modern AVRs that screw up the sound. If you have some type of "pure direct" option to bypass processsing, you should try it to see if sound improves (of course you will likely lose signal to your sub in that setting, but it is a worthwhile test).

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Even with only 60WPC the MRX300 should not sound like crap. I suggest you do a microprocessor reset first, then try listening in pure direct mode at moderate volume, say at average SPL of 75 dB, play your best media source such as your favorite SACD or high definition FLAC. Let us know how that goes, and go from there. I don't think you can realistic expect an upgrade in sound quality, but when operating within its power limit, the Anthem should sound just as good as your old Onkyo.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The ARC in the anthem is supposed to be quite good.
I agree, but the key word is "supposed". I heard that before too but somehow I think those are most from hearsays, hard to tell if Anthem ARC is as good as what some people say it is. For something that involves highly advanced math, physics and engineering, I tend to have more faith in something like Audyssey, that is developed by engineers with PhD's and have the support/backing of the academic side.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
If you still have the Onkyo, for sh!ts and giggles, you can use the LCR amp in, being driven from the Anthem pre-outs. See if your sound quality is restored.

Remove the three jumpers at top left and run cables to "Amp In".

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
I agree, but the key word is "supposed". I heard that before too but somehow I think those are most from hearsays, hard to tell if Anthem ARC is as good as what some people say it is. For something that involves highly advanced math, physics and engineering, I tend to have more faith in something like Audyssey, that is developed by engineers with PhD's and have the support/backing of the academic side.
I can't judge ARC personally; while I have heard Anthem systems using ARC a couple of times (and thought it sounded pretty good) I was at the dealer to listen to speakers and I really couldn't say what was due to the room, the speakers, or the ARC.

The OP liked the sound of an Anthem MRX700 in a different room with different speakers. I suspect that much of the sound that they liked was due to the speakers. However, ARC may have been used, and if so it may have contributed to what they liked with the sound. We just haven't been given many details.

If they haven't done so it can't hurt to try the ARC and see if it improves the sound. I think room correction can have a significant impact on a system's sound (either good or bad.) I think far more impact than d/a converters, amplifiers, interconnects, etc.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If they haven't done so it can't hurt to try the ARC and see if it improves the sound. I think room correction can have a significant impact on a system's sound (either good or bad.) I think far more impact than d/a converters, amplifiers, interconnects, etc.
I happen to agree with you on this point. I am not even a fan of those Anthem AVR (do like their amp) but I find it hard to believe the MRX300 would sound that bad comparing to his old Onkyo, if both are run in pure direct. If his Anthem still sounds that bad to him after a processor reset, then there is probably something wrong, or defective.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If you still have the Onkyo, for sh!ts and giggles, you can use the LCR amp in, being driven from the Anthem pre-outs. See if your sound quality is restored.

^^ +1 great idea

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
To the OP another thing to check, if you haven't already, is the speaker connections to make sure you didn't switch the polarity when hooking up the new avr.

G

geedee

Enthusiast
Thanks for the idea.... I still have the 989 (doubt I'll be able to sell it here as it's a 240v model that I run off a transformer!!).... but I didn't have the 300 by the time I read your post....

The OP liked the sound of an Anthem MRX700 in a different room with different speakers. I suspect that much of the sound that they liked was due to the speakers. However, ARC may have been used, and if so it may have contributed to what they liked with the sound. We just haven't been given many details.
Thinking back, I'm not sure it was just the speakers making such a big difference (although I'm sure they can!). The demo and what I heard at home were a long way apart.

If his Anthem still sounds that bad to him after a processor reset, then there is probably something wrong, or defective.
That might have been the case....
To the OP another thing to check, if you haven't already, is the speaker connections to make sure you didn't switch the polarity when hooking up the new avr.
Thanks, all wiring was checked, double checked and found fine.

Thank you all for your helpful input, it's appreciated. To cut a long story short, I wasn't going to get to do ARC for at least a week, and wasn't convinced it would make that much of a difference.
After further testing, it would be unfair to say it sounded "bad", but it certainly lacked the "drive" of the 989. Also, on further checking, I realised that the picture produced on the TV was noticeably "washed out". That was enough for me. I took it back, paid the extra wonga (which I could really have done without at this time of the year!) and took home an Integra 50.4.
Am still sorting out the Integra.... not hooked up yet.

Perhaps I should have given the 300 more of a chance. It certainly has a lot of fans, and is meant to be a great choice for those who value sound quality over convenience and gadgets. Mine might have been defective.... what I did notice when going through the manual was that one page had a faint cup ring on it.... this may well have been a returned item re-sold?

Whatever, it's done now. I'll plug the 50.4 in later, and hope I made the right choice! Thanks all again, and Happy New Year to you all.

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
I have the mrx 300 , i bought it over the 700 as for the price i could buy the 300 and an external amp. I came from an onkyo 807. My fist impressions were the same. My low end was gone. The onkyo in pure direct was sex to my ears lol. Out of the box i really didnt listen to it, i went straight to arc. After that it sounded decent. Shortly after i bought the xpa-5 amp. I still dont get the bass like i did with the onkyo but i think it was still worth it as i feel it has helped on the dynamics. Anthem doesn't have a pure direct mode, but a anthem music mode, but i still think some processing might be done with arc so it doesnt sound as good as where the onkyo shined in pure direct. If i had to do it again i prob would still buy my anthem. Now with you listening at 75% volume, thats loud and mine sounded fine but again i think arc was relying on my sub for more of the bass and i dont use mine as often.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis