C

cutter

Audioholic
I just purchased an RF-20 universal remote to use out on my deck, to control the components in my basement wired to the outdoor TV. It has learned all the codes except for my VIP-612 dishnetwork DVR. the dishnetwork codes (all three of them) don't work, and the "learn" function doesn't work, either.
Of note, I just sent back the Harmony Smart remote that had iOS capability, but had a very glitchy interface and didn't work as well as it should.

any advice?

thanks-

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi. When you say that the Learn function doesn't work, what goes wrong? Does the remote display "FAILD" every time that you try to program a button, or does is say "GOOD" but just not work?

C

cutter

Audioholic
it says "failed". I feel like an idiot for not being able to make this work...

C

cutter

Audioholic
so I changed the dish remote from uhf/IR to just IR, and now the RF20 will learn the codes... thanks for the help!

Cliff_is

Cliff_is

Audioholics Content Manager
so I changed the dish remote from uhf/IR to just IR, and now the RF20 will learn the codes... thanks for the help!
I know you got the learning to work. Nice!

But you shouldn't have to learn DISH commands.

The problem with DISH boxes is that they can change what IR code set they respond to.

I don't remember where in the settings you will find this, but the remote address needs to be set to 1. Once you do that, all of the default IR codes that URC has should work just fine. Thus, eliminating the need to learn any commands in the first place.

C

cutter

Audioholic
I did change to remote address 1, and the default codes still didn't work... not sure why. the learning mode seems to be working adequately for my needs- I actually bought another RF-20 to use- one for the basement, one for outside. for the price, this solution can't be beat. I am still trying to figure out how to control zone 2 on my denon amp with the RF-20. any suggestions?

Cliff_is

Cliff_is

Weird with the remote address thing. Must have a ghost in the house. Only explanation.

What do you mean trying to figure it out?

The receiver should have a few discrete codes for Z2, like power/volume/input. I've never programmed an RF-20, but I know that when programming a URC remote using their CCP software there are codes for Z2.

If your AVR works with the Denon mobile app, that's the way to go.

C

cutter

Audioholic
I can power on/off zone 2 from the RF-20, but I can't select inputs or control volume. and, the RF-20 won't learn commands from the denon remote for zone 2. the denon is a 2805, and doesn't have an iOS app.
I'm sure it is my overall lack of remote programming experience that is the issue- but am hoping someone with more experience can give me some guidance! overall I am very happy with the remote- the RF feature to control the TV on my deck from my basement system is pretty cool, and for the price it can't be beat.

Cliff_is

Cliff_is

You can try holding the Denon remote at different distances from the IR receiver on the URC. Within an inch, to a foot or more away.

Also try to eliminate other light in the room that might interfere with the IR signal. Place your hand over the IR receiver to help shield it from other IR signals.

Holding down the commands on the Denon for a longer or shorter amount of time is also something to play with.

leaning IR commands for zone 2/3/4 can be a pain sometimes because the remote can default back to zone 1 after a short amount of time. That depends on the remote.

G

Gersen

Audiophyte
I'm new here and couldn't find an option right off to post a new question concerning an RF20 remote, so I'm just addressing the thread. I bought one of these (plus RF box) about 15 months ago. It's been working fine. A day or two ago I wanted it to learn a code from another remote and to assign it to a new key. I went through the motions, and it ended up with 'READY' showing on the display, which means it's good to go for learning. But when I held the other remote to the IR window on top and pressed the button... nothing happened. It didn't say 'GOOD'; it didn't say 'FAILED.' It didn't do anything at all.

I backed out of the key-learn mode and started over, used a different remote as a source to learn from. Same results; says 'READY' but won't do anything. I tried various other things, including a new set of batteries. Nothing made any difference -- it still won't do anything when I have it ready to learn a new key.

I'm at a loss. It functions perfectly otherwise; all previously-learned keys etc. work fine. I just can't get it to learn any new keys. I remember adding a few new keys some weeks ago, and it worked fine then.

It's about 3 months out of warranty, so I'm bracing to buy a new RF20 to replace it. But I thought I'd ask first if anyone else has experienced this sort of problem with this remote. Any relevant info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Cliff_is

Cliff_is

I'm new here and couldn't find an option right off to post a new question concerning an RF20 remote, so I'm just addressing the thread. I bought one of these (plus RF box) about 15 months ago. It's been working fine. A day or two ago I wanted it to learn a code from another remote and to assign it to a new key. I went through the motions, and it ended up with 'READY' showing on the display, which means it's good to go for learning. But when I held the other remote to the IR window on top and pressed the button... nothing happened. It didn't say 'GOOD'; it didn't say 'FAILED.' It didn't do anything at all.

I backed out of the key-learn mode and started over, used a different remote as a source to learn from. Same results; says 'READY' but won't do anything. I tried various other things, including a new set of batteries. Nothing made any difference -- it still won't do anything when I have it ready to learn a new key.

I'm at a loss. It functions perfectly otherwise; all previously-learned keys etc. work fine. I just can't get it to learn any new keys. I remember adding a few new keys some weeks ago, and it worked fine then.

It's about 3 months out of warranty, so I'm bracing to buy a new RF20 to replace it. But I thought I'd ask first if anyone else has experienced this sort of problem with this remote. Any relevant info would be appreciated. Thanks!
I would recommend contacting URC. They might recommend resetting the remote.

It's possible that the IR receiver for learning commands is bad.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
As URC will ask, do both remotes have new batteries and did you try varying distances between them?

G

Gersen

Audiophyte
As URC will ask, do both remotes have new batteries and did you try varying distances between them?
Yes. Tried new batteries, different distances, different light levels, different source remotes, everything I could think of. No luck -- does not respond at all to learn any key from anything, period. Resetting is an option of course, but I'd really hate to do that and lose all my macros etc., since I suspect from the way it acts that either the photodiode or entire IR receiver section may have failed.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
What remote are you trying to learn from? Is the remote an rf/ir remote that has to set to ir?. Definitely give URC a call their CS is outstanding.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis