Urbanears Plattan headphones -- any opinions?

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Okay, the earbuds that came with my new iPhone suck. Suck bad. The only comparison I have is with my Sony MDR-G45 headphones, a behind-the-head, over-the-ear headphone style that to me sound pretty good. Of course, the only time I really use them is when I'm out of the house, listening to mp3 music, walking around town or on the subway/bus/streetcar. So for the listening environment, the Sony headphones sound really good.

The iPhone earbuds, by contrast, suck, as I previously mentioned. So I'm looking for an over-the-ear headphone that also has a microphone on the wire (just as the iPhone earbuds have) but that has decent sound quality. I recently came across the Urbanears Plattan headphones. Looking around the 'net, I find a lot of mixed reviews. I fear that if the general reviews are mixed, then Audioholics' reviews will be pretty bad. Still, for my listening needs, I also wonder if they might be acceptable.

Anyone ever use these Plattans? What's your impression of them?

http://www.urbanears.com/category/plattan

cheers,
supervij

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Their frequency responce looks terrible (it's funny they have it published like they're proud of it:confused:). If you like muffled headphones I'd say they're right up your alley. If that's the real plot, then that's the worst thing I've ever seen on a set of headphones.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Third party measurements look just about like the manufacturer's published measurements.

M

Mooz

Audiophyte
That's strange, i just tested a brand new Plattan and i think it sounds pretty good for the price. Don´t know how to paste images like you guys did so i can't share my f/r curve, but it doesn't look like the curves above at all. It's less bass heavy and doesn't freak out after 1khz like in the HeadRoom measurment. I'll post the curves when i figure out how!

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
I'd be interested in seeing the curve when you're able to, Mooz -- thanks!

I just found out that these Plattans are being sold at the HMV downtown, so hopefully they'll let me try them out. Frequency response curve be damned, if I like how they sound, I might pick one up.

Of course, I'm realizing that it may not be terribly necessary. For music, my Sony headphones are great. For using them while talking on the phone, they're fine. I just have to hold the phone up to my mouth, so maybe I don't need to get anything else. I dunno; we'll see.

cheers,
supervij

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Go to your local future shop and see if you can listen to the Shure SRH 440. ;)

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Er . . . Minus, why would I consider the Shures? They don't seem to have a microphone on them.

cheers,
supervij

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Ah. You are correct, there is no mic feature on them. Never mind. :eek:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis