Upgrading, want to replace Athena's

B

busterbrown885

Enthusiast
I currently have Athena AS-B1 for fronts (want to replace),Athena, As-C1 for center channel(want to replace) Athena S.5 surrounds which I will continue to use. I have a Onkyo TX-SR706 Receiver and a BIC Acoustech H100 sub.

I am looking for more understandable, crisp dialogue from the center over what I currently have and an upgrade in sound over the fronts. My room is 14x18 with 8 foot ceilings. 95% of the useage of the system is for TV, movies. My budget is $500 max.

I need bookcase speakers which will actually be a bookcase and understand that rear porting can be a problem. The depth of the shelf is about 11inches, height and width not an issue.

I am have been looking for some time and have zeroed in on the following but would not rule out other systems

Infinity Primus
P 162/163
C350/351
there are P162 and C350 currently available at some attractive prices.

Polk
RTI4/RTI A1
CSI3/CSI A4
There are some RTI4 and CSI3 currently avaiable attractive prices

using the discounted prices for older models, the budget would come in at about $300

Would either or both of these be an upgrade over what I currently have? Of these 2 systems which is likely to provide clarity for movies and provide the sound needed to experience action movies etc.

Thank you

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
You might like the SVS S-Series. http://www.svsound.com/products-spks-sbs01.cfm They are sealed so there isn't a port to worry about. I couldn't tell you if speech is more intelligible but I have the M-series and voices are very clear on them so maybe SVS's design philosophy lends themselves to this trait??? Hopefully an owner of the s-series can chime in on this...

You can try them for 45 days and if you don't like them you are only out the shipping...
45 day money back guarantee.

If you are not completely satisfied with the performance of your SVS speaker or subwoofer, return it to us for a full refund of the purchase price. Just a few minor stipulations should you choose to do this:

* Products must be returned in original shipping boxes.
* E-mail SVS for a return authorization number and display this on the outside of the box.
* Subwoofer and/or speaker must be insured during return shipping.
* Shipping costs are not refundable.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I think I would experiment with placement. When you get muddy dialog from the center it's often a problem with the sound reflecting off the TV stand or a hardwood or ceramic tile floor. Make sure that the center pokes out a bit from whatever is around it and if you have bare floors try covering that part of the floor.

If that doesn't fix the problem then perhaps the P162 that you were looking at along with a PC250 center and use the savings for a larger sub. If you're looking for a better action movie experience then there isn't much that improves the experience like a big gnarly subwoofer.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I am have been looking for some time and have zeroed in on the following but would not rule out other systems

Infinity Primus
P 162/163
C350/351
there are P162 and C350 currently available at some attractive prices.

Polk
RTI4/RTI A1
CSI3/CSI A4
There are some RTI4 and CSI3 currently avaiable attractive prices

Would either or both of these be an upgrade over what I currently have? Of these 2 systems which is likely to provide clarity for movies and provide the sound needed to experience action movies etc.

Thank you
A little better - however, not much better.

B

busterbrown885

Enthusiast
I will try the suggested fixes before considering an upgrade. If what I proposed is not an upgrade to what I currently have, at the budget of $500 for the 2 mains and center what would be an upgrade or how much more would I have to spend to notice an improvement in sound?

The floor is carpeted, there is a 6 foot sliding glass door in the room which I guess may impact the sound.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I will try the suggested fixes before considering an upgrade. If what I proposed is not an upgrade to what I currently have, at the budget of $500 for the 2 mains and center what would be an upgrade or how much more would I have to spend to notice an improvement in sound?

The floor is carpeted, there is a 6 foot sliding glass door in the room which I guess may impact the sound.
This
http://www.nhthifi.com/Two-Black_2?sc=12&category=3772
And this
http://www.nhthifi.com/Two-C?sc=12&category=3774

I have owned Infinity, Polk and Athena speakers.
The Classic 2 was a good step up, for me.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You can get 3 of the NHT SuperZero for $300 as L/C/R speakers:

http://www.amazon.com/NHT-SuperZero-2-0-Monitor-Speaker/dp/B0049FA1TM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1296404679&sr=8-1

Or 3 of the NHT AbsoluteZero for $525:

http://www.amazon.com/NHT-N-AZB-Absolute-Speaker-Black/dp/B000BYNP7K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1296404679&sr=8-3

The Absolute Zero’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +0.94/–0.82 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz.

In other words, it is extremely ACCURATE sound reproduction, and center dialogues should be very clear.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/nht-absolute-zero-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
PSB - Alpha B1 - Bookshelf Speakers: $250-279.00

PSB C1 center: $200-229.

This is what I have and like them.

The NHT's are also good choices.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Before spending money, I'd try to use Audyssey one more time. I had same issue and this process helped a lot to fix same problem
After rereading the OP's post I was reminded of the Audyssey microphone issue. The OP has a 706 and the "06" were the first identified with defective mics.

OP... read this thread and see if Onkyo will replace your Audyssey mic.

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
Before spending money, I'd try to use Audyssey one more time. I had same issue and this process helped a lot to fix same problem

Read this very detailed guide on how to do it to get best possible result:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=14456895#post14456895
And after the above try boosting the center EQ, if possible with your receiver, for vocal frequencies slightly. I have the same center speaker and used to have the same mains and this worked well for me. Just note that I did this to adjust for my hearing (or hearing loss rather) and not what the microphone thinks things should be.

B

busterbrown885

Enthusiast
I have contacted Onkyo and they indicated that they would be sending me a new microphone in several weeks. Just for my edification, what was the issue with the microphone? What might a new microphone do relative to the issues I have identified?

Thank you

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I have contacted Onkyo and they indicated that they would be sending me a new microphone in several weeks. Just for my edification, what was the issue with the microphone? What might a new microphone do relative to the issues I have identified?
I suspect that it will vary by system but in my case it made what should be a fair-to-middling family room system sound like it had blankets over the speakers and subwoofer. I'd double check speaker placement, especially the center, and then wait for the mic before spending any money.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis