Upgrading Receiver-Need Advice

C

Chas

Audiophyte
Hello All,

This is my first post, although I have been reading for a while. I plan to upgrade my HT in stages and will be starting with the Receiver, then the Monitor (waiting for lower prices on HD), then maybe the Speakers.

Current Equipment:

Monitor-Mitsubishi CS-32507
Has S-Video and Composite Inputs, Composite Audio Out

DirecTIVO-Hughes SD-DVR40
Has S-Video and Composite Outputs

Panasonic DVD-S35
Has S-Video, Optical, and Component Outputs

Onkyo TX-SV545 Dolby 5.1 Surround Receiver
70W per ch.
6-7 yrs. old
No S-video or digital inputs, composite only in and out.

Bose Acoustimass AM-10 w/ 200 W sub.

My current setup has the DirecTIVO, DVD, and VCR going to an S-Video switch, then output to TV, then TV audio out to receiver to take advantage of best connection available (the Onkyo has no S-Video). That's why I want to upgrade my receiver.....so I can run all components to receiver first, then out to TV with S-Video.

The listening/viewing room is 12' x 20' with hardwood floors, and area rugs/drapes. Music/Movies/TV about 30/30/40% with music (mostly classic rock) being played louder than movies/tv.

Here's where I need some help and suggestions. I am looking at about 4 receivers-2 Onkyo and 2-Yahama, and my price range is around $500.

ONKYO
TX-SR601
$380 new, $249 refurb.

TX-SR701
$590 new, $430 refurb.

YAHAMA
HTR-5760
$335 new

HTR-5790
$570 new
Haven't found any refurb prices yet on Yahama.

Obseravtions from posts, specs, etc:
The Onkyo's have great build quality and sound, S-Vid conversion switching, remote on 601 has no light and remotes require multiple button presses to switch between components. The Yahama's have more features overall and the 5790 has conversion to component as well as S-vid. I have read where the Yammy's have some high freq. loss and can be tinny.

Onk's have DPLII but not IIx-Yamaha has IIx-what is the difference and is this important?

I want to make sure that when I make the TV upgrade in 1-2 yrs, that I will have the best receiver in this range to accomodate HDTV in either a plasma or DLP.

Thanks for your patience with this lengthy post---I wanted to give enough info to get some good feedback and suggestions. Your help is appreciated!

U

Unregistered

Chas said:
Obseravtions from posts, specs, etc:
The Onkyo's have great build quality and sound, S-Vid conversion switching, remote on 601 has no light and remotes require multiple button presses to switch between components. The Yahama's have more features overall and the 5790 has conversion to component as well as S-vid. I have read where the Yammy's have some high freq. loss and can be tinny.
I have always bought Onkyo and have always been satisfied with them - not a single problem in all the years with any model. The extra 'features' of the Yamaha over the Onkyos are their DSP modes. Way too many for my tastes and if you are like most people you will never use them, you will stick to the 'standard' formats like Dolby Digital and DTS. Either brand will work for your stated goals of connecting all devices to the receiver.

Both the 601 and 701 convert composite to s-video, but neither converts to component. They do both have 2 component in / 1 out and have sufficient bandwidth (50Mhz) to pass HD signals. The 701 is THX Select certified and has pre-amp outs if you ever decide to add a separate amp - the 601 does not have pre-amp outs. The 701 is the best bang for the buck in my opinion.

Chas said:
Onk's have DPLII but not IIx-Yamaha has IIx-what is the difference and is this important?
PLII can convert analog or Dolby Digital 2 channel to 5.1. PLIIx can convert analog 2 channel or Dolby Digital 2 channel to 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1. PLIIx can also convert Dolby Digital 5.1 to 7.1 (won't convert DD 5.1 to 6.1 because DD EX does that).

PLIIx is nice to have if you have a 6.1 or 7.1 setup or plan to eventually have it. Onkyo is upgrading their line right now to add PLIIx (only the 502 is out now with the rest to follow).

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
Best advice most of us will be able to give is to upgrade your speakers first. Speakers make the biggest sound difference in a system and most of us on this site agree, you can do much better than Bose for the money.

U

Unregistered

I agree with the previous post about the speakers. The Bose speakers are the weakest link among the items you listed. Upgrade the speakers first b/c that will determine what receiver/amp you will need. That said, I have had the 701 for about five months and have had no major problems so far. One time it would not turn on, either by the power button on the unit or remote, so I had to unplug it and plug it back it. It was then able to turn on but it lost the settings so I just had to reenter them, not a difficult thing to do.

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
Upgrade the speakers first, if you ask me. You could be in for a big and pleasant surprise if and when you do.

Then from your narrowed choices, i'd get an Onkyo 701. Apart from its usefull digital processing features, it gives a more solid musical quality in the sonics department. Equaly important, it has 6.1 pre-outs that you can use to connect to an external multichannel power amps should you decide to have a more powerful throughput in the future.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis