Upgrading from Insignia's to monitors

S

splatee

Audioholic Intern
Hello,

i am debating on whether or not it would be worthwhile to upgrade my current 5 speakers to studio monitors. I currently am running the BB Insignia bookshelf speakers for my fronts and rears and have a Speaker Company center channel. For subs i have two DIY sound splinters powered by a tapco juice 1400.

The Insignias sound decent but they seem to lack a bit in the music department. I have stumbled on a few threads about using studio monitors and the Behringer's seem to be a good choice. I was thinking about picking up two pairs of the Behringer 2030P and running just three for the front stage. Would it be ok to use the Behringer 2030P for a center channel? I have heard that the studio monitors are good for "near field" listening but the behringers are good for home theater use. My room is roughly 18' x 18' and is semi closed off to the kitchen. Which model would be the best, behringer truth 2030P or 2031P? Is it ok to use one as a center channel or what would be a good match up to use?

The main use is movies and gaming on the PS3. Alot of rockband and guitar hero :)

Here were the specs i was able to find...

Behringer TRUTH B2030P
High-resolution, passive 2-way 100-Watt nearfield monitor
Ultra-linear Frequency response from 75 Hz to 21 kHz
Extremely high-resolution, ferrofluid-cooled tweeter
Long-throw 6 ¾" 4 ohm 89db

Behringer TRUTH B2031P
High-resolution, passive 2-way, 150-watt near-field monitor
Ultra-linear frequency response from 55 Hz to 21 kHz
Extremely high-resolution, Ferro fluid-cooled Tweeter
8 3/4 inch 4ohm 89db

Insignia NS-B2111
Maximum Power Handling 120W
Frequency Response 50Hz - 20kHz
Tweeter Size1"Tweeter CompositionSilk dome
Subwoofer 6-1/2"Subwoofer Driver Carbon fiber
Sensitivity 90dB
Impedance 8 ohms

Thank you

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
2030p's are very inexpensive, but very high value speakers.
Althought most studio monitors are designed for Near field, 2030p are larger and could be reused in HT.
2030p could be used a center and in fact for all speakers, except subwoofer :)
Chris aka WmAx suggested few simple mods to be done on 2030p to improve it's SQ even futher.
2031p would not be best choice due to fact larger woofer does produce a bit stronger low-end, but not as linear as it's smaller brother 2030p.

FYI: Neither of them have front grills so it's wysiwyg.

btw: For your DIY subs - did you have them computer modeled or just you follow existing design ? Or is it lets build large boxes and shove subs in them? :rolleyes:

S

splatee

Audioholic Intern
After looking at my receiver manual it does not list running a 4ohm speaker. It goes down to 6ohm. Would there be any harm setting the receiver to 6ohm and running a 4 ohm load on it? It is a pioneer vsx-918v. I am just wondering how much of a sound inprovment i would see upgrading.

And i had the the boxes designed by another member on another forum using winisd pro. They are roughly 1.8 cubic feet. Sound very clean.

Thank you

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
huh? 2030p is 8Ohm speaker, It's the 2031p which is 4 Ohm and it could be too much load for your 918v for louder volume levels.

However 2030p with its' 8 Ohm impedance and 89db efficiency should be no problem driving with existing AVR.

S

splatee

Audioholic Intern
LOL....so they are. I must have been looking at the b2031p and just assumed the same. Thanks for pointing that out.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis