Upgrade recommendations

M

mtnman

Audiophyte
I was just at a friends house and heard his sound system which included and Onkyo receiver & a 5.1 setup using a nice Polk speaker system and I'm now jealous. I don't know any of the model numbers but I'd like my system to sound much better now that I've heard his. Below is my current setup and finances I have available so would like to hear some recommendations from some pros. My goal is to watch movies with the best audio I can achieve within my price range.

Sony STR-DE598 6.1 receiver
5 Klipsch Quintet 3 (center, front and rear)
Polk 10" sub
2 Klipsch Quintet 2 in the rear (mono/bonded)
Playstation 3
Computer w/ATI Video card and HDMI
DirecTv HD DVR and HDMI
Room is about 15' x 20'

I have about $500-$600 dollars to spend right now and $1000 next month for some new equipment.

I really like the Klipsch speakers but those Polk's sounded so good, maybe it was just the receiver? Anyway, what do you peple think?

A

alexwakelin

Full Audioholic
You definitely have enough of a budget to make some nice upgrades. $1600 total is enough to get a new sub, front soundstage and receiver. As for what to get first, that's up to you. Do you feel you need more bass, or you could replace your front 3 speakers for better dialogue when watching movies. Klipsch makes nice speakers, but the main problem I see with the Quintet is that they only have a 3.5" driver. The frequency response only goes down to 120Hz, which isn't ideal for movies IMO. They are pretty sensitive at 91db, so they should be getting enough power from your receiver. Upgrading the receiver to something like a Yamaha or Onkyo would probably give you better sound, but would not make as big of a difference as new speakers.

As for subs, look at offerings from SVS:

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub.cfm

There is also the DIY option if you are handy, which gives you more bang for your buck. Someone that has experience with Klipsch and Polk speakers can recommend something for a front soundstate for you.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I really like the Klipsch speakers but those Polk's sounded so good, maybe it was just the receiver? Anyway, what do you peple think?
Perhaps it was his room acoustics and yours that makes the difference. His is good in combination with his speakers and your not so good. Maybe you need to model your room to see what you really have and perhaps it can be corrected and to your liking?

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I was just at a friends house and heard his sound system which included and Onkyo receiver & a 5.1 setup using a nice Polk speaker system and I'm now jealous. I don't know any of the model numbers but I'd like my system to sound much better now that I've heard his. Below is my current setup and finances I have available so would like to hear some recommendations from some pros. My goal is to watch movies with the best audio I can achieve within my price range.

Sony STR-DE598 6.1 receiver
5 Klipsch Quintet 3 (center, front and rear)
Polk 10" sub
2 Klipsch Quintet 2 in the rear (mono/bonded)
Playstation 3
Computer w/ATI Video card and HDMI
DirecTv HD DVR and HDMI
Room is about 15' x 20'

I have about $500-$600 dollars to spend right now and $1000 next month for some new equipment.

No, it was not just the receiver. Room acoustics matter, as well as how everything is set up, but otherwise, it will be the speakers that will make things sound very different. For your stated goal ("My goal is to watch movies with the best audio I can achieve within my price range."), you should make sure you have everything set up properly (both physically with speaker placement and with the settings in the receiver for delay, levels, etc.). Make sure your room does not have echos (clap your hands once in your room that is otherwise quiet--do you hear any echo?). If needed, add drapes, rugs, a comfy sofa, whatever, to absorb sound and break up large expanses of flat wall (e.g., bookcases with books, tapestries, whatever). Other than that, look for replacing speakers, including the subwoofer. You might get the best results by spending all of your money on front speakers and a subwoofer, and just using speakers that you already have for the surround.

With your budget of $1600 total, I would probably spend about $500 or so on an SVS subwoofer, and the rest on three front speakers. For them, I recommend that you go out and audition as many speakers as you can stand to audition.

This, by the way, is coming from someone who is not a fan of your receiver. But it isn't going to be the weakest link in the chain.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
If you can build the Kappa subs that will dramatically improve your system.

Sub woofers are really half the system.

There are so many option at your budget that I you need to audition.

However I want to state that I don't find Sony receivers to be very good. I think a receiver with audyssey would help dramatically with setup issues. If that's the case.

I suggest you put most of your money in subs as I think your mains and surrounds aren't the weak link.

Put together 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect MidVQs.

If you don't have wood working skills. NickBrewster at the TechTalk forum on the Parts-express website builds cabinets for folks for at a good price.

I'm sure he might even put the entire thing together for you at the right price. Pair them with a behringer EP2500 and DCX 2496.

Once you do that use your remaining budget for a 2 or 3 channel external amp. So you can integrate your mains with the Subs using the DCX. This will dramatically improve your system.

After you've done this you can start looking at new receivers and speakers. IMO this is the way to go. Your sub is just not very good IMO.

120hz is not an acceptable bottom for the front sound stage. You need to get better fronts. Get the subs built and we can figure out your budget after that and suggest something. You could do a pair of madisound RB kits or something and then grab an IQ2c for a center.

Last edited:
M

mtnman

Audiophyte
Thanks

Thanks for all of the responses, great information. I was concerned that the better audio was from his HDMI audio and I am using TOSLink for Blue-Ray but it sounds like the speakers are my biggest down side. I am going to look at those recommended and head out to do some auditioning tomorrow.

Thanks a lot.

captiankirk28

Full Audioholic
I would agree with the others, spend as much as you can on a sub if you want the most out of your movies and get yourself some speakers that can go to atleast 80hz so the sub can take over from their. If you do this your friends will be jelouse when they come over to your house:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis