L

Leights7

Audiophyte
Hi everyone. I'm looking for some advice on an upgraded stereo set up. I currently have a Sony 5.1, 1000 Watt HTS. I'm only in a 630 sq ft condo, so I don't need anything too crazy, but I do want to upgrade. Because I don't watch many movies anymore, I'm not interested in another HTS. I'm looking for 2 speakers and a sub with receiver that's going to give a bit more punch than my current system. I'm not sure what type of speakers or size, type of receiver, or type of sub so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
-Leighton

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I'm looking for 2 speakers and a sub with receiver that's going to give a bit more punch than my current system.
I'm not sure that more power than your current 1000w is the answer for "more punch". You already have lots of power. I suspect your answer is in the speakers and subwoofer. Conventional wisdom says buy the best you can afford.

The difficulty lies in identifying "the best". You can likely only hear a few samples in your local stores. One solution is to read reviews by trusted professionals who are unbiased. They use discrete measurements that can be compared between speakers, in addition to subjective opinion based on how the speakers actually sound to their ear.

This site, audioholics.com, offers a free 2014 Top Gear Guide. It has their top picks for the year in various price ranges. You can get it by signing up for their newsletter, (free), here: Audioholics Newsletter Sign Up: Free 2014 Top Picks AV Gear Guide | Audioholics

For $299/pair, they recommend this speaker: EMP Tek E41 Bookshelf Speaker
(The EMP site says it is now discontinued, but you may still find them on other sites.)

The Gear Guide has recommendations up to $2k/pair.
People on this site have speakers up to $20k/pair, and will be happy to give you their thoughts if you're in that range.

The Audioholics subwoofer pick for $499 is: SVS PB-1000 - 300 Watt DSP Controlled, 10" Ported Subwoofer
They also have one for $1595, and people here have a lot of subs that go between $1500-2000, and some even higher.

For your 630sqft, I'm guessing your current AVR, these speakers for $900/pair: http://www.definitivetech.com/products/studiomonitor-65 , and the $499 sub above, will give you all the quality and "punch" you could ask for.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I'm not sure what type of speakers or size, type of receiver, or type of sub so any help would be appreciated.
Welcome to the forum. The answer to this question is pretty much preempted by your budget constraints. Herbu seems to have covered a good spectrum of cost.

Also, which Sony HTS are you using. You might not need a new receiver if this one has the important features.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis