Upgrade Path Center Speaker (Paradigm)

L

Luishi5k

Audiophyte
Hello, I am trying to get into the world of audio. I am seeking to upgrade my system some more but am concerned about making the right decision.

Currently I have:

Receiver: Sony STR-DA1ES

L/R Main: Paradigm 220 V.3 (Cinema)
Center: Paradigm CC V.2 (Cinema)
Surround: Paradigm Cinema 70 V.2
Sub: Paradigm PDR-8

I am looking to upgrade my center speaker because the CC V.2 does not cut it. Ideally I think it would be best to get another Paradigm 220 for the center, but there are none for sale at the moment.

I was looking at the Paradigm Reference CC-450, but I fear it may throw the whole timbre-matching thing off. Would it be so bad if I got it and used it for a while until I could afford more suitable L/R speakers? Or is there something else that would be better for me?

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Did you try running Phantom mode and seeing if that worked for you?

Changing lines might not be a good idea. A mismatched center can be a pain.

L

Luishi5k

Audiophyte
No I have not tried Phantom mode nor do I know what that is.

You are probably right with that. I should probably just keep holding out for another 220. So you are saying I should only look for speakers in the Paradigm Cinema line? The 220's say they are of the Monitor Series, so would that also indicate that I can look for a center that works with Monitor Series speakers?

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
It's a mode in your AVR to run the center signal through the L/R speakers. For some it hurts localization, for some it helps. If you like the results, the center can be removed.

I won't try to comment on meshing those two specific speakers. Generally speaking, changing lines (monitor vs cinema for example) in the l/c/r group is problematic.

L

Luishi5k

Audiophyte
Thank you. I changed it and it helped. I found out that my LR speakers use a certain series of drivers that are found in other Paradigm center speakers released around the same time. I'm thinking if I go with a speaker that has the same series of drivers/ design, I should be pretty close when it comes to timbre matching.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Timbre matching isn't that important for watching movies. Do you listen to multi-channel music? If so timbre matching does matter.

L

Luishi5k

Audiophyte
Yes I do listen to a lot of music, so I suppose I better watch out for it. Why does it matter more for music?

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
There is a Cinema 220 on Amazon as I write this for 185.00 plus 15.00 for shipping.

If this line is discontinued then online sales are legitimate from understanding and the merchant seems legit. Might be worth looking at. :)

Amazon.com: Paradigm Cinema 220 V.3 Speaker (Black): Electronics

After you get the center a new sub might be your next best upgrade. Something a bit bigger would add much better output and extension. This will greatly improve the whole movie watching experience.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Timbre matching isn't that important for watching movies. Do you listen to multi-channel music? If so timbre matching does matter.
Speaking from experience, timber matching the center is very important for movies. It is extremely strange sounding when voice moves into and off of the center when they aren't matched.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Yes I do listen to a lot of music, so I suppose I better watch out for it. Why does it matter more for music?
Specifically multi-channel (as opposed to two-channel) music is the issue.

Because a pipe-organ can be demanding; and if something want to push that from your right front and rears, your rears need to be up to the task and blend well.

Still: much of the multi-channel music uses the back-speakers for reflected sound; and I'm not sure that it's much more demanding than movies in that regard... though I don't listen to a lot of multi-channel music so cannot be sure.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis